User Tag List

First 456

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    You made a nebulous comparison between harry potter and god, suggest that they were two fictional ideas, now in your post preceeding this one you demonstrated that you know the difference between a fictional idea and something which is real and exists, therefore you know yourself that your earlier post was either mistaken or a troll fail.
    Actually, I compared Harry Potter to "spirituality", not God. If you want to talk about God, we can: he is just as fictional as both.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Helios View Post
    Actually, I compared Harry Potter to "spirituality", not God. If you want to talk about God, we can: he is just as fictional as both.
    Troll fail.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Troll fail.

I'm not trolling. I'm stating a view. You may not like that view, but inanely declaring "troll fail" does not make that view go away-nor make it any less true.

The Crushing Guilt.

That's how it influences me.

Oh well..

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Did I say that ideas don't exist? No. In fact, I said:

This is basic reading comprehension.

And this is a basic attempt at insult. (Insult fail.)

Nevertheless, "The idea of Harry Potter exists" is not synonymous with "Harry Potter exists". The former is true and held uncontroversially; the latter is false and uncontroversial only in the kingdom of the deranged...
    So then, saying "the idea of patriotism exists" is not the same as saying "patriotism exists"? How about the idea of gratitude, or even evolution? This is overly fussy semantics. Not everything that exists is in concrete form. It is fine to specify what form of existence something takes, but it is not required for a valid statement. This is the difference between saying "Harry Potter exists only as an idea", and "Harry Potter doesn't exist".
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Liberating my inner self

I seek to express my inner self in the outer world.

I have a strong sense of my inner self and I am ecstatic when I can express it in the outer world.

So the role I would adopt is creative artist. And I find I catch my breath when I say this.

I catch my breath because the role of creative artist is usually associated drawing and painting or composing.

And of course we can approach creating from the outside, and hope to reach the inside. But I start from the inside, look around breathlessly, and seek to smuggle my inside, outside.

So perhaps rather than a creative artist I am a smuggler; or perhaps I am an escape artist, escaping the bonds of the outer world, and liberating my inner self.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

The way I act on an everyday basis is nearly completely disassociated with spirituality. I don't associate my moral code with my religious beliefs, for the most part, although I get the impression from what I've learned in school so far that everyone in my neck of the woods has Christian values, regardless of whether they're Christian or not.

Despite this secularism, certain "everyday" events bring me back in contact with my spirituality. For example... I was just on a thread, a while ago, that asked what you think true beauty is, and I answered that it was in feeling entirely one with a thing, a landscape, a person, or a group of people. Any time I experience that oneness, and the resulting beauty, I feel closer to something greater than myself, which I by nature associate with God. (I'm also of the school of thought that finds God in numbers. Consider the Golden Ratio!)

I usually keep those feelings inside (partly because I'm naturally private about it, partly because I hate arguing about religion, and partly because of the fear that someone might mock me). As a result, I tend to have an instinctive reaction of annoyance and/or condescension when people are suspiciously open about their religious experiences; my cultural Episcopalianism (plus my Enneagram, plus my Fi) has given me the outlook that if you are having a soul-searching, intense, "religious experience" (regardless of whether it's happy or sad), you don't go around advertising that to people. Because of this, most of my friends forget how serious I am about my faith, and sometimes I forget too.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    And this is a basic attempt at insult. (Insult fail.)
    No, it was not.

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    So then, saying "the idea of patriotism exists" is not the same as saying "patriotism exists"? How about the idea of gratitude, or even evolution? This is overly fussy semantics. Not everything that exists is in concrete form. It is fine to specify what form of existence something takes, but it is not required for a valid statement. This is the difference between saying "Harry Potter exists only as an idea", and "Harry Potter doesn't exist".
    It's not "overly fussy semantics" when one's interlocutor is making the bizarre claim that Harry Potter, that well known fictional character, exists. It's a very simply distinction. One can have ideas of things which do not exist (like Harry Potter, unicorns, a slim American, etc.), and those ideas obviously exist. But the things about which those ideas exist need not themselves exist.

I've no clue what a "valid statement" might be.

I have no religion, no spirituality, no theistic thinking. I am agnostic, atheist and anti-theist.

Everyone who knows me would describe me as very kind. I treat people the way I would want to be treated, or the way they have asked to be treated. Ethics, morality and what we might call common decency are concepts that one can ascertain the benefit of through logic.

On a simple, daily basis, life is more pleasant for all of us if we are kind to each other. In the long term, humans thrive if they care about and for each other. It makes sense to promote surviving, thriving and general happiness as long as we are here.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    The way I act on an everyday basis is nearly completely disassociated with spirituality. I don't associate my moral code with my religious beliefs, for the most part, although I get the impression from what I've learned in school so far that everyone in my neck of the woods has Christian values, regardless of whether they're Christian or not.

Despite this secularism, certain "everyday" events bring me back in contact with my spirituality. For example... I was just on a thread, a while ago, that asked what you think true beauty is, and I answered that it was in feeling entirely one with a thing, a landscape, a person, or a group of people. Any time I experience that oneness, and the resulting beauty, I feel closer to something greater than myself, which I by nature associate with God. (I'm also of the school of thought that finds God in numbers. Consider the Golden Ratio!)

I usually keep those feelings inside (partly because I'm naturally private about it, partly because I hate arguing about religion, and partly because of the fear that someone might mock me). As a result, I tend to have an instinctive reaction of annoyance and/or condescension when people are suspiciously open about their religious experiences; my cultural Episcopalianism (plus my Enneagram, plus my Fi) has given me the outlook that if you are having a soul-searching, intense, "religious experience" (regardless of whether it's happy or sad), you don't go around advertising that to people. Because of this, most of my friends forget how serious I am about my faith, and sometimes I forget too.
    This post is from 2012 but is still true of me.

(Seems like this happens every time an old thread I've posted in is revived. Say what you will of me, but at least I'm consistent.)
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!