User Tag List

First 3456 Last

Quote Originally Posted by animenagai View Post
    I have OCD with thoughts, logic being one of the concepts I hold on to tightly, so I'm very much on the lookout for these logical faux pas. Even when someone seems like they're being logical, ask yourself, is this really the inference to the best solution, or are these guys just trying to rationalise a point they're already committed to? If actually look at the debates and arguments a lot of people put out, you'll realise how weak and fuzzy their logic is. Weak enough for my theist friends to shake their heads and go "you're making us look bad". Even one of my best friends said something like "you're not a Christian so you don't think being gay is wrong, but I'm a Christian and that's all there is to it" and this is just one example of a long long list of similar reasoning. Eh, I really think that if you keep your eyes peeled for these things, you would not be impressed.
    We keep different company I suspect, I dont hear people reason like this, not at all. It sounds like a straw man, itself a logical fallacy, the kind of rationalisation which you mention yourself.

Banned

My spirituality and religious upbringing are given full credit for my fairly strong moral code. I try to act with integrity and honesty in everything I do (but I'm not afraid to be smart/clever/devious). I think it would have been very easy for me to have been "lost in the world," but this center saved me from that fate. I know I should be a bit nicer to people, but damnit I don't want to smile at you as I walk down the street. I do hold doors for others, and am fairly polite, but that has nothing to do with my spirituality.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    He does. Not as a flesh-and-blood human living somewhere in the UK, but as an idea in the mind of his author, and ultimately of his many fans. Things do not have to be concrete or tangible to exist.
    He may exist "as an idea", i.e. an idea of him exists. But he obviously doesn't exist. He's a fictional character. Stop being silly.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    It wouldnt be the first time you've been wrong about something.
    Wrong about Harry Potter not existing or there being a Wikipedia article about him?

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

You guys are all so unenlightened.

Basically, God is the master of the universe.
    And, Jesus is our Savior.
    Note, I said our Savior meaning he's on the Earth Sector in human form.
    Though all the other planets with other beings have their own saviors but that's something for another lecture.
    Jesus sits in a room at the center of the Earth with 7 billion cameras, one per person. (Give or take.)
    And he's got joysticks and stuff and it's like one big game of Sims where Jesus has to keep us all alive and functioning nicely.
    He's competing against all the other Saviors and if he can't keep up, (it's getting harder with more and more cameras but with free will around and stuff he can't always stop the number from growing), then we all die and he dies. Or if we win we can all live forever and more importantly be on the Hall of Fame and stuff and and if the entire universe does well then God can go on to compete in the semi finals with other Gods in other universes.

obviously.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Helios View Post
    He may exist "as an idea", i.e. an idea of him exists. But he obviously doesn't exist. He's a fictional character. Stop being silly.
    So, you are of the opinion that ideas do not exist? Stop being so limited and literal.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    So, you are of the opinion that ideas do not exist? Stop being so limited and literal.
    Did I say that ideas don't exist? No. In fact, I said:

...an idea of him exists...
    This is basic reading comprehension.

Nevertheless, "The idea of Harry Potter exists" is not synonymous with "Harry Potter exists". The former is true and held uncontroversially; the latter is false and uncontroversial only in the kingdom of the deranged...

Did I say that ideas don't exist? No. In fact, I said:

This is basic reading comprehension.

Nevertheless, "The idea of Harry Potter exists" is not synonymous with "Harry Potter exists". The former is true and held uncontroversially; the latter is false and uncontroversial only in the kingdom of the deranged...
    I'm glad you posted this.

It means you must be able to tell the difference between Harry Potter and God.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I'm glad you posted this.

It means you must be able to tell the difference between Harry Potter and God.

Elaboration needed.

Elaboration needed.
    You made a nebulous comparison between harry potter and god, suggest that they were two fictional ideas, now in your post preceeding this one you demonstrated that you know the difference between a fictional idea and something which is real and exists, therefore you know yourself that your earlier post was either mistaken or a troll fail.