User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ¥¤
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

Cool Living a "hedonistic" life is less risky.

I never understood people who live lives of delayed gratification, restraint, and building their future.

Because all that hard work can be undone in an instant. You could save your whole life, and lose it all when you come down seriously ill.

Alternatively, you could live for the moment, doing every little thing you please - and capture and enjoy your desires as you go. It's a sure thing. You have money, you can enjoy travel now. You have the chance to do something, you can act on it now - or hold back, and never realize the benefits that you assigned to the delayed gratification.

You could argue that what you want "down the road" outweighs your conflicting desire now, but you have the certainty of enjoying that desire now, that you don't have down the road.

And the longer the time horizon, the less certain the expected outcome. The people who worked and saved their whole lives are turning 65 and are discovering that the accumulation of their savings and interest don't even nearly match their needed expenditures and the increased cost of living.

What do you think? Is the SJ life actually riskier than the SP life? :P
    3w4-9w1-?w6 (nearly headless nick)
    sp/so
    Lawful Evil

COCKBURN:

http://sundrytimes.files.wordpress.c...tomic-bomb.jpg

MBTI
    ¥¤
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

Actually, I'm being a hypocrite - I'm still investing in my future and working for it. But I'm not totally draconian about it.
    3w4-9w1-?w6 (nearly headless nick)
    sp/so
    Lawful Evil

COCKBURN:

http://sundrytimes.files.wordpress.c...tomic-bomb.jpg

if you dont delay gratification and just obey every whim then I suspect there is less gratification overall.

Think about it, birthdays are special because they are unlike every single other day, free time or leisure time is appreciable in contrast to occupied time or working etc. Etc.

Plus there's the simple matter of accumulation, its not possible to live that well on the merge earnings afforded most of the population which is enslaved by impulsiveness.

Personally I see impulsiveness and impatience as bastard children of consumerism, in nature its a different story, things take time to grow, mature, bear fruit, its in no way impulsive.

man, everyone kicks ol' Draco's ass all the time

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

You are over estimating the uncertainty of such choices. Hedonism might lead to a nasty heroin habit, and we can say with fair confidence that the long term loss outweighs the short-term gain.

On top of that, I seem to recall that hedonistic lifestyle counter-intuitively correlates with depression, but I'd have to go digging around on the research for that again. Happiness is subtle and complex, and it is also not the same thing as pleasure.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

violaine

OP: I think you have a point. I cannot and will not put "shoulds" and duty as far as it pertains to my own existence above living life and having experiences. And I believe that no one has the right to make you sacrifice yourself like that. It's like being denied the basic expression of your existence. There is a way to be an ethical hedonist though. Someone who wants to suck the marrow but is also learning and enriching their existence along the way in healthy ways. Perhaps the strict interpretation of the term hedonist eliminates an ethical approach. I'm not talking about that kind of hurtful hedonism. I don't wish to hurt anyone else, not ever. (I most definitely can if I am ever required to push back at someone). I just want to live my life in the way that makes me happiest, as decided by me.

I still walk a middle path because I could easily spin off and go wandering at the expense of my very foundations and all responsibility. Picking up and going where I please and living out of a suitcase. That life beckons strongly and I do keep myself on a leash of sorts in that respect. But I wonder why I don't do just that...

I cannot figure out on a soul-deep level what everyone is chasing by being so focused on things that are often unenjoyable and one-dimensional/unfulfilling in terms of payoff. e.g. Super-careerists who don't enjoy their work. Or people who live according to an ethical system imposed by something outside of themselves without ever really deciding that that is right for them. I guess it's something to do with "the right way to do things" and wider society - it's what others aspire to, so it must be worth chasing? I don't know, but if so, ick. Aren't people wanting to get to the top of the career tree so that they can go off and be free at some point? I think it's so sad, almost tragic that a lot of people wait until they retire to travel.

I'm not being condescending or patting myself on the back as being something special. I know my approach to life is probably largely due to coming from a traveling culture, an experiencer culture which must have resonated strongly with me. I haven't had to fight a mentality where the message is that success, happiness and respect results from building your life around your career.

I'm sure my distaste for structure for the sake of structure is related to my very disciplined and religious upbringing. I was the most responsible 12 year old I've ever known. And now, I'm not. :-)

I'm not sure if I'm hedonist in the commonly understood sense. More like the Garfield sense. I just want to chill. I have no regrets about that. I'm not sure what else I'm supposed to be striving for. People who think they're truly changing the world or something are delusional, I'll say that much.

MBTI
    INTj

The benefits of resource accumulation is not just for old age. Having a reserve will greatly reduce the stresses of everyday living.

Instant gratification is also inefficient. You end up paying more for everything.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Accumulating wealth can be a source of pleasure per se.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    Having a reserve will greatly reduce the stresses of everyday living.
    That all depends on what you want in the first place. Some people piss and moan because they don't have a 60" hdtv, a boat, a summer house, a hot mistress, kids, an ivy league education, etc.. Some people don't need any of it to get by.