User Tag List

First 2345 Last

MBTI
    InTj

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Indeed, and that's exactly what religious dogma teaches. Asceticism is often based on the presumption of the good of everyday pleasures, but sacrificing them for a higher purpose.
    Dogma in and of itself is inflexible. Just that is enough to reject it, as new data, new societies, different times do not affect it. An inflexible idea is ''bad'' when ill-suited for the situation.

I will not sacrifice everyday pleasures for life unless the power I am sacrificing it for is rationally justifiable, or even unjustifiable for that matter (belief or disbelief in a god is strictly a matter of faith, which is why I suspend my judgement on it.). Furthermore, my everyday pleasures do not harm me or anyone else. If there is a god, I hope it will be smart enough to realize that.

Sacrificing *harmless* everyday pleasures does not affect others, and only causes frustration for me. The overall balance is negative.

What purpose does sacrificing your everyday pleasures serve? What is a god going to do with my frustration and my rational conclusion that my abstinence from something seems to be a flawed solution?

MBTI
    InTj

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    ‎"Reason directs those who are truly pious and philosophical to honour and love only what is true, declining to follow traditional opinions, if these be worthless. For not only does sound reason direct us to refuse the guidance of those who did or taught anything wrong, but it is incumbent on the lover of truth, by all means, and if death be threatened, even before his own life, to choose to do and say what is right."
    -Justin Martyr, First Apology
    That has nothing to do with religion in and of itself. Remove the ''pious'' and the source of the quote (First Apology) and the meaning is not changed at all. This is a commendable viewpoint! It transcends religion.

Quote Originally Posted by pickledoctopus View Post
    An inflexible idea is ''bad'' when ill-suited for the situation.
    This is why I kind of want to retype as a Te type. Heh. I'm totally down with this reasoning. Typology wise, this is ultimately going to be a conflict of Ti/Te, I think (where Ti hangs on to systems, and Te thinks situationally).

Sniffles

Dogma in and of itself is inflexible.
    Dogma deals with timeless truths, so that's kinda given.

Just that is enough to reject it, as new data, new societies, different times do not affect it.
    Again dogma and metaphysics deals with the absolute and timeless, so this is a silly reason to reject it. That's not to say that such truths can't manifest themselves in different manners according to changing circumstances and such, but that's quite different from saying that truth itself changes over time.

An inflexible idea is ''bad'' when ill-suited for the situation.
    Which is why there's distinctions between truth in the absolute abstract and how it manifests itself in particular concrete situations. This gets back to Plato's theory of ideas.

I will not sacrifice everyday pleasures for life unless the power I am sacrificing it for is rationally justifiable, or even unjustifiable for that matter (belief or disbelief in a god is strictly a matter of faith, which is why I suspend my judgement on it.).
    Belief in God is rationally justifiable, and has been done for thousands of years. Rational inquiry into God's existence even has a name - it's called Natural Theology.

Sniffles

That has nothing to do with religion in and of itself.
    Ok whatever you say.

Just be yourselves, stop quoting some geezers who lived 1000 years ago to find yourself, and eat a sandwich or something. Or just sit there and look at the stars or smell the roses. Most of all, just stfu and stop analyzing everything and going on about what the meaning of life is, or your future plans of making everything meaningful. It is already meaningful, if you got your head out of your ass for a second. That's hedonism in a nutshell.

Of course, I'm not making the best case for it. Feel free to shoot the messenger.

Sniffles

Here's another religious perspective on pleasure:
    [youtube="2bdFFEiDnmU"]Joshua Heschel ftw![/youtube]

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    That's all I want too. I'm hardly materialistic. I consider myself low maintenance, I guess.

But I would call this hedonism as well. I'm trying to just enjoy myself. I don't need to think about the future too much, or all of this philosophical, political, and religious stuff that means nothing right now. I'm tired of it. And I'm tired of people who try to guilt and meddle with others about it too. That's the extent of my hedonistic attitude.
    That is more like the term I was looking for, materialistic. I'm not exactly the materialistic kind of guy (unless you consider a "sensible" living standard in the U.S. to be materialistic.)

I suppose it is a form of hedonism. It is just, I really don't consider my form to be all that detrimental. It certainly isn't the form the OP is talking nor is it saving for everything so that I can live until I am 100.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Religion hasnt ever disappointed me.

And I can honestly say that absolutely everything else has. Either immediately or eventually.

A window to the soul

Two things have never failed me: God and Ford Mustang.