User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Mankind

MBTI
    ESFJ

Default Mankind

What is the goal of mankind?

Is it to exist? or to evolve? Individually or collectively?

How do you view yourself in the idea of the above?
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

MBTI
    INTJ

I don't see any reason why it has to have a goal.

With that said, I think "to continue existing" is the best option. If evolution were a goal I can't imagine it being for any reason other than continuing the existence, really, or satiating curiosity.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

We do things to achieve goals. The ultimate goal can only be a final one. Thus, the goal of mankind must be death.

Riva

Well I believe Buddha on this question. On existence etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    We do things to achieve goals. The ultimate goal can only be a final one. Thus, the goal of mankind must be death.
    You'll have to elaborate more. Unless I have misread you, what you have written could be interpreted as it is better to die than to live, there is no point of living, kill ourselves as soon as one reaches this (your) conclusion is the right thing to do etc. (That is if one acts on one believes, ending one's life is the right thing to do.)

Quote Originally Posted by Riva View Post
    You'll have to elaborate more. Unless I have misread you, what you have written could be interpreted as it is better to die than to live, there is no point of living, kill ourselves as soon as one reaches this (your) conclusion is the right thing to do etc. (That is if one acts on one believes, ending one's life is the right thing to do.)
    There is no appeal whatsoever in my words. As usual, you misunderstand me.

The goal of mankind must be a goal that is achieved through its existence; otherwise, I would say, the words are used in a strange way. If, for instance, the goal of mankind were to exist or evolve, it could hardly be called a goal, because it has already been reached and is being re-reached again every moment in human history. Really, it makes no sense to keep on existing once the purpose of existence is fulfilled. The only goal I can think of that, when reached, ends existence is death.

Riva

The only goal I can think of that, when reached, ends existence is death.
    ^ Nico, death is not much of a goal is it, since it is the ultimate fate that no one could avoid/everyone is destined to?

The OP is more in line with what one needs to do before one dies. Not just die!

^ Nico, death is not much of a goal is it, since it is the ultimate fate that no one could avoid/everyone is destined to?

The OP is more in line with what one needs to do before one dies. Not just die!
    I think the question in the opening post, as I understand it, yields only absurd answers. Hence my reply.

Riva

I think the question in the opening post, as I understand it, yields only absurd answers. Hence my reply.
    On the contrary I believe it is a pretty good question, that we all ought to think of at some point of life, but we rarely (if not ever) take a chance to do so.

On the contrary I believe it is a pretty good question, that we all ought to think of at some point of life, but we rarely (if not ever) take a chance to do so.
    You disagree because you understand the question differently.

... well, you might also disagree if you understood it the same way I do.

Riva

You disagree because you understand the question differently.

... well, you might also disagree if you understood it the same way I do.
    Would she have started a thread on the topic if she believed only absurd answers would result from it? Does it not mean that I understand the question a little bit more clearly than you do?

We could go on like this forever, but we are not helping the thread though .