• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Mankind

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
What is the goal of mankind?

Is it to exist? or to evolve? Individually or collectively?

How do you view yourself in the idea of the above?

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
I don't see any reason why it has to have a goal.

With that said, I think "to continue existing" is the best option. If evolution were a goal I can't imagine it being for any reason other than continuing the existence, really, or satiating curiosity.

Nicodemus

We do things to achieve goals. The ultimate goal can only be a final one. Thus, the goal of mankind must be death.

R

Riva

Well I believe Buddha on this question. On existence etc.

We do things to achieve goals. The ultimate goal can only be a final one. Thus, the goal of mankind must be death.

You'll have to elaborate more. Unless I have misread you, what you have written could be interpreted as it is better to die than to live, there is no point of living, kill ourselves as soon as one reaches this (your) conclusion is the right thing to do etc. (That is if one acts on one believes, ending one's life is the right thing to do.)

Nicodemus

You'll have to elaborate more. Unless I have misread you, what you have written could be interpreted as it is better to die than to live, there is no point of living, kill ourselves as soon as one reaches this (your) conclusion is the right thing to do etc. (That is if one acts on one believes, ending one's life is the right thing to do.)
There is no appeal whatsoever in my words. As usual, you misunderstand me.

The goal of mankind must be a goal that is achieved through its existence; otherwise, I would say, the words are used in a strange way. If, for instance, the goal of mankind were to exist or evolve, it could hardly be called a goal, because it has already been reached and is being re-reached again every moment in human history. Really, it makes no sense to keep on existing once the purpose of existence is fulfilled. The only goal I can think of that, when reached, ends existence is death.

R

Riva

The only goal I can think of that, when reached, ends existence is death.

^ Nico, death is not much of a goal is it, since it is the ultimate fate that no one could avoid/everyone is destined to?

The OP is more in line with what one needs to do before one dies. Not just die!

Nicodemus

^ Nico, death is not much of a goal is it, since it is the ultimate fate that no one could avoid/everyone is destined to?

The OP is more in line with what one needs to do before one dies. Not just die!
I think the question in the opening post, as I understand it, yields only absurd answers. Hence my reply.

R

Riva

I think the question in the opening post, as I understand it, yields only absurd answers. Hence my reply.

On the contrary I believe it is a pretty good question, that we all ought to think of at some point of life, but we rarely (if not ever) take a chance to do so.

Nicodemus

On the contrary I believe it is a pretty good question, that we all ought to think of at some point of life, but we rarely (if not ever) take a chance to do so.
You disagree because you understand the question differently.

... well, you might also disagree if you understood it the same way I do.

R

Riva

You disagree because you understand the question differently.

... well, you might also disagree if you understood it the same way I do.

Would she have started a thread on the topic if she believed only absurd answers would result from it? Does it not mean that I understand the question a little bit more clearly than you do?

We could go on like this forever, but we are not helping the thread though ;).

nanook

a scream in a vortex
the goal is to make love. specifically eros. it's one of the goals of all holons. to create diversity, then unite it into a larger thing. it's also what amount's to what is later perceived as evolution. to see a single goal in the activity implies singeling out one of the holistic drives behind the activity, and the forward drive (eros) is the one that seems least repetitive, which is why it catches the eye. in reality, all drives are goals.

purpose of life? reason for doing something? = different forms of cognition, trying to comprehend what goes on. the abstract drives, that go around, seem to precede all such cognitions and give birth to them, therfore the drives seem independet from such cognitions, meaning questioning purpose or deconstructing reason isn't going to do away with the goals. the kosmos is an irrational place.

Last edited:

nanook

a scream in a vortex
there is a place for absurdist poetry in every thread. also for more rational approaches.

Malleus

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Through living strongly as individuals, we will live strongly as a group. The fewer the parts of a clock that function properly, the more and more the the clock will decay.

As for purpose, it is whatever we desire it to be. As a group the goal is just to exist. On an individual basis?....well the answer is in the question.

redacted

I don't think there's A GOAL of mankind, although I can think of goals that would be useful.

The concept "goal" is only descriptively useful when it's predicated on assumptions that could probably be considered goals themselves.

So It Goes

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
What is the goal of mankind?

Is it to exist? or to evolve? Individually or collectively?

How do you view yourself in the idea of the above?

I don't think the entirety of mankind has a singular all-encompassing goal (at least that we all consciously agree on). Humans have basic goals, such as eating or sleeping, in order to survive, but also, we have the capability to control how and if we will survive. I have multiple goals at different moments. My goal, as of now, is to type to you a message on the computer; my other goal is to breathe, even though I am mostly unaware of this goal; another goal is to go to school, but that is a bigger and different goal than breathing. I've known people who have the goal of suicide. Other people think their goal is to worship a deity. Some people attempt to extend their personal goals, into the lives of others, whether those others want that goal or not. Is there an ultimate goal? That depends on who you ask. Even if living is the goal, how one lives seems to differ for the individuals that make up mankind.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ

Why do you perceive my post to yield only absurd answers? I am trying to keep OP open so able to get different opinions based on individual perspectives. This way i am in a position to keep my mental framework open to other possibilities as it is ever expanding. I have never perceived multiple perspectives to be a negative.

I remain grateful for your input.

Lark

I think Mankind's is destined to reach a point at which the full or complete development of the character of each will become the precondition to the full or complete development of the character of all.

I'll explain/clarify.

Presently that is the preserve of the few, although not necessarily a few of a single social class or even a few members of the ruling classes, although the preserve of a few none the less.

I would expect that eventually cultural change, social stratification, economic structures will all converge on this point. Not because of benefice but I would expect that eventually the status quo and its patterns of aspirations and goals, individual, familial, if at all, will become as absurd as deifying the sun or the divine right of kings.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There are a lot of intelligent individuals out there, but I notice the more individuals you get together the more the group's actions and decisions look regressed. Humankind in corporate and national levels seems to behave roughly like gradeschool children and infants. On the whole I see Humankind as bacteria colony on a petri dish with the directives to feed and grow.