User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mankind

the goal is to make love. specifically eros. it's one of the goals of all holons. to create diversity, then unite it into a larger thing. it's also what amount's to what is later perceived as evolution. to see a single goal in the activity implies singeling out one of the holistic drives behind the activity, and the forward drive (eros) is the one that seems least repetitive, which is why it catches the eye. in reality, all drives are goals.

purpose of life? reason for doing something? = different forms of cognition, trying to comprehend what goes on. the abstract drives, that go around, seem to precede all such cognitions and give birth to them, therfore the drives seem independet from such cognitions, meaning questioning purpose or deconstructing reason isn't going to do away with the goals. the kosmos is an irrational place.

Quote Originally Posted by Riva View Post
    Would she have started a thread on the topic if she believed only absurd answers would result from it?
    Probably not. But who says she believes so?

Quote Originally Posted by Riva View Post
    Does it not mean that I understand the question a little bit more clearly than you do?

there is a place for absurdist poetry in every thread. also for more rational approaches.

5w6 sp/so

Through living strongly as individuals, we will live strongly as a group. The fewer the parts of a clock that function properly, the more and more the the clock will decay.

As for purpose, it is whatever we desire it to be. As a group the goal is just to exist. On an individual basis?....well the answer is in the question.

I don't think there's A GOAL of mankind, although I can think of goals that would be useful.

The concept "goal" is only descriptively useful when it's predicated on assumptions that could probably be considered goals themselves.

Senior Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Saslou View Post
    What is the goal of mankind?

Is it to exist? or to evolve? Individually or collectively?

How do you view yourself in the idea of the above?
    I don't think the entirety of mankind has a singular all-encompassing goal (at least that we all consciously agree on). Humans have basic goals, such as eating or sleeping, in order to survive, but also, we have the capability to control how and if we will survive. I have multiple goals at different moments. My goal, as of now, is to type to you a message on the computer; my other goal is to breathe, even though I am mostly unaware of this goal; another goal is to go to school, but that is a bigger and different goal than breathing. I've known people who have the goal of suicide. Other people think their goal is to worship a deity. Some people attempt to extend their personal goals, into the lives of others, whether those others want that goal or not. Is there an ultimate goal? That depends on who you ask. Even if living is the goal, how one lives seems to differ for the individuals that make up mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    I think the question in the opening post, as I understand it, yields only absurd answers. Hence my reply.
    Why do you perceive my post to yield only absurd answers? I am trying to keep OP open so able to get different opinions based on individual perspectives. This way i am in a position to keep my mental framework open to other possibilities as it is ever expanding. I have never perceived multiple perspectives to be a negative.

I remain grateful for your input.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

@ OP: I'm not liberty to say
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

I think Mankind's is destined to reach a point at which the full or complete development of the character of each will become the precondition to the full or complete development of the character of all.

I'll explain/clarify.

Presently that is the preserve of the few, although not necessarily a few of a single social class or even a few members of the ruling classes, although the preserve of a few none the less.

I would expect that eventually cultural change, social stratification, economic structures will all converge on this point. Not because of benefice but I would expect that eventually the status quo and its patterns of aspirations and goals, individual, familial, if at all, will become as absurd as deifying the sun or the divine right of kings.

4w5 sp/sx

There are a lot of intelligent individuals out there, but I notice the more individuals you get together the more the group's actions and decisions look regressed. Humankind in corporate and national levels seems to behave roughly like gradeschool children and infants. On the whole I see Humankind as bacteria colony on a petri dish with the directives to feed and grow.