User Tag List

123 Last

Default How to you keep optimistic or hopeful?

How do you remain or keep optimistic or hopeful when you're really experiencing adversity and people you depend on begin to operate in a way that's out of character?

Ginkgo

Well most people waste their energy with fake smiles until they suffer from mental breakdowns.

[YOUTUBE="CmrOB_q3tjo"]Andy Grammer - Keep Your Head Up[/YOUTUBE]

Yes, the video relates to the subject.

As for always remaining optimistic and hopeful, that is a whole another topic altogether (because I'm not like that.)

I don't know...escape into something you love and run away or face those demons head on and hope you triumph in the end.

It's complicated, though: everyone handles things differently depending on their character.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

perspective... things can always get worse and I've LIVED through worse and things worked out, so why make a big deal about it?

I'm also really good at getting distracted, which works out splendidly
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Can't tell...my goal is being as realist as possible. Optimism clouds judgement and you end up ignoring possibilities.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

Senior Member captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    Well most people waste their energy with fake smiles until they suffer from mental breakdowns.
    Indeed.

Wait...no. I'm being informed that this is not, as a matter of fact, the typical response to adversity. A little birdie told me the typical response is to be put on medications that eliminate emotional turmoil, thus rendering this a non-issue.

That being said, I'm probably headed straight toward a mental breakdown of some sort in the medium or long term.

It's all good

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    Yeah, they say, fake it till you make it. But in a society where you've got it made when you can fake sincerity, it's all good.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    Can't tell...my goal is being as realist as possible. Optimism clouds judgement and you end up ignoring possibilities.
    I agree. To borrow the words of one of my favorite fictional characters, "Hope is the denial of reality. It is the carrot dangled before the draft horse to keep him plodding along in a vain attempt to reach it. We should remove the carrot and walk forward with our eyes open."*

I stay motivated and focused in the face of adversity by remembering my goals and understanding the options available for reaching them. Once I have considered and planned for the worst case, it boosts my confidence in not only weathering and navigating what actually does happen, but taking best advantage of it as well.

Keeping perspective as Whatever writes is important also, like the person with no shoes who still feels better off than the person with no feet.

*Raistlin Majere, Dragonlance
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

"The life of man consists therein that he, befooled by hope, dances into the arms of death."
    - Schopenhauer