User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    "The life of man consists therein that he, befooled by hope, dances into the arms of death."
    - Schopenhauer
    schopenhauer was no big picture thinker cause he always forgot the impact any man leaves behind on the rest of the World even thru little actions and that he lives thru that eternally. schopenhauer was so depressed with himself that he felt it is his duty to make everbody else depressed as well so his depression was a little more endureable. if he just had had the character to embark onto new journeys and to thru at some point in life everything just overboard and do something stupid yet completly different he'ld either died like he predicted or had a lot of fun before he did the same.

There are 3 trillion answers to the op and that is what makes life beautiful. the versatility of opinion and the ability to never loose your sense to wonder can keep you around for some time. since i am not the most optimistic atm as well, my answer to the op would be: that what doesnt kill you, makes you stronger.
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    schopenhauer was no big picture thinker cause he always forgot the impact any man leaves behind on the rest of the World even thru little actions and that he lives thru that eternally. schopenhauer was so depressed with himself that he felt it is his duty to make everbody else depressed as well so his depression was a little more endureable. if he just had had the character to embark onto new journeys and to thru at some point in life everything just overboard and do something stupid yet completly different he'ld either died like he predicted or had a lot of fun before he did the same.
    His picture was so big that it transcended human history. Such trifles were just wee parts of his world view.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    "The life of man consists therein that he, befooled by hope, dances into the arms of death."
    - Schopenhauer
    Fuck that.

The Power of Positive Thinking is a terrible mistake for we perceive by making distinctions and a fundamental distinction is between good and bad.

So if we try to suppress the bad, we also suppress the good.

Imagine if Shakespeare followed the Power of Positive Thinking and was relentlessly optimistic, then none of the Tragic plays would have been written and even the Comedies would have been impossible.

Optimism alone is a siren song which will wreck us.

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    How do you remain or keep optimistic or hopeful when you're really experiencing adversity and people you depend on begin to operate in a way that's out of character?
    You find someone who sees you realistically, but won't betray your humanness, and if you are close enough to be confidents, and friends, will support you emotionally( as you support them). You don't have optimistic all the time, but one needs a little support if they are seen as the emotional pillar. You'll be that much stronger, if you have at least one person you don't have to be strong for. I know a lot about this.
    It isn't necessarily about not showing weakness, but having the ability to act with a clear mind. Having doubts, and still soldiering takes way more strength, than blind faith.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

I'm not really sure how to intepret the situation, wanting you to clarify what exactly you wish to remain optimistic about. The person? The relation? Life in general?

With any of these, I would say the first step is to understand that everything and everybody changes, all the time, and there is nothing anyone can do about it. It's painful. It involves attachment and the only way to alleviate the pain is to stop attaching to should be's, used to be's, hope to be's, etc. Much of it involves getting rid of judgements. Good, bad, all up to you.. the truth is that it just is.

Secondly, I have found comfort and optimisim in this change The ability to change my own perspective, that is. This is entirely in my control, no one else can touch it .. I can choose to see it as good, bad, anything in between. I can choose to find value and meaning in anything I want, and there is always a value to be found.

Third, http://www.selfdiscoveryportal.com/cmSengTsan.htm
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

How do you remain or keep optimistic or hopeful when you're really experiencing adversity
    I generally remain calm and assess the situation. If my first reaction is irrational or immature, I do not react in that way, until I understand the consequences of my actions, such as hurting another person for no good reason. I want distance, time and patience, in order to examine the situation, and to learn if I am right or wrong or undecided, rather than going head-first into dangerous waters. But at the same time, if I don’t have the opportunity to examine, then I will react in a careful manner (if I can).

If I can’t react carefully and calmly, then I will adapt to the situation with as little harm to myself and the other person as possible. There are times, however, when the best option is to strike first, even if there are some downfalls to that approach. For example, if I am competing in sports and must react quickly, then I will act without much thought, but rather from experience and preparation. If I make a mistake in that decision and can’t retract, then I'll not dwell on the mistake, but learn how to change my ways or become better in the future.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Avoiding them? That is if it's really bringing you down.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

I would have a few concrete suggestions, assuming you are really an Te dom:

1. Engage in physical activity - especially solitary - to let you think; also look for a change in scenery
    2. Talk to someone who will be non judgmental who will empathize with you
    3. Think of this perspective, "Good comes from all things"; may sound like BS but I'm pretty certain it is true

That's what I can come up with for the moment.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

Diving into Ni-space Crescent Fresh's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

How do you remain or keep optimistic or hopeful when you're really experiencing adversity and people you depend on begin to operate in a way that's out of character?
    I suppose you're feeling lost when the people who you counted for the most had gone out of their characters?

I would suggest give them some time. No one can function in a healthy state indefinitely. Perhaps there are some factors that had influence their lives temporary. Just hope for the best, but also expect for the worst, so that you'll learn how to depend on them less just in case if they will never change.