• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Tarot

murkrow

Branded with Satan
MBTI Type
INTJ
So I've been getting into tarot (honestly haven't picked up my deck in a few weeks now but whatever it's still a decent topic)

Now I'm really curious how typology and tarot interact.

How does a feeler's interpretation differ from a thinker's?

Are feelers more likely to enjoy reading themselves?

Stuff like that.

Also I'd just like to discuss it.

So here's what I've been getting out of Tarot:

Symbolism allows us to deal more accurately with metaphysical realities that spoken language is demonstrably worthless regarding. So, by learning the language of tarot we're able to see AND APPLY universal principles to particular moments of human life.

So basically it's a tool for ethical living.

G

Ginkgo

I think it's a tool to be respected. Even skeptics sometimes take it seriously after having a reading, at least in a wave of irrationality that breaks the dam of their skepticism. It's easy, with the ambiguity of the cards, to... insert personal significance into them... acting as an aid to help make decisions, but not as a specific guide. It can help you make your mind up about life decisions in the same way a coin toss would because the tarot card concepts are so basic that they extend to the whole human condition. If you can't find the will or reason to make your own decisions in life, then let the symbolism take you for a ride. People need a guide and it's clear they're willing to turn to anything to establish a spiritual connection when they're aimless.

murkrow

Branded with Satan
MBTI Type
INTJ
One spread I was having a lot of fun with was a "two-paths" sort of thing. It really worked with the idea that everything you're reading is a potential reality (future or present).
8 9
6 7
4 5

where 864 and 579 are different paths drawing from 123

a reading like this forces the querent to consider themselves more than just follow the path laid out by chance (and it is chance)

murkrow

Branded with Satan
MBTI Type
INTJ
Hey phobic throw your preconceptions in the trash and check this shit out!

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
...So basically it's a tool for ethical living.

Yes; a typical tarot read, rather than being a predictive device, seems to be more of an exploratory vehicle into the supplicant's psyche, giving them a framework or a symbolic language by which to navigate around that landscape and determine what they value and what decisions they will make for their lives based on those values.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
So basically it's a tool for ethical living.

Its a tool that you can use to project your unconsciousness on and seek for answers on many things, including ethical living.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I enjoy using my tarot and angel cards. They give me clarity and optimism via their symbolism.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don need sum cardboard 2 give me symbols to pursue, Ne can feed on just about anything for that purpose :D
You are correct in this. There are runes, various forms of scrying, Bible verses, even Rohrshach tests. Whatever dredges up your personal symbolic connections and helps you realize things about yourself that usually escape more direct analysis.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I put the Magician archetype from the Tarot in my signature!

tarot-card-magician.jpg

Ism

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
I don't believe it, but do think tarot cardth can be thuper pretteh.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Rather than a tool for ethical living it is a tool for emotional manipulation.
It is a tool, and as such, can be used for either, just as a knife can be used to prepare dinner, or to murder.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I'm bias about this, as I am spiritual.. I read tarot, and.. For me, I mostly use it for picking up messages floating in the air. Without getting into too much detail, since this forum is notorious for attacking religious people in any form or fashion, I attempt to interpret messages floating around my head.. both external and those from my subconscious. It's more of a translation and meditation to me than it is an know-all-see-all sort of utensil. The idea is.. the cards reveal a vague concept.. and I read that concept and try to figure out how that could guide my thoughts or the situation.. if it is speaking about it, warning of this aspect, shining light onto it, etc.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Personally, i use tarot when i find it hard to step back and detach to read the situation properly. It acts like an emotional mirror outside of yourself, making it easier to look at things. As you get more experienced, you no longer need it as often ime though.

Derpravity

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I find it an interesting way to explore my emotional intuitions, or view my life in archetypal/narrative terms.

But I'm not yet familiar enough with the meanings of all the cards to "read" someone else convincingly, so I don't know how effective I'll find it for exploring others' ideas and emotions.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I find it an interesting way to explore my emotional intuitions, or view my life in archetypal/narrative terms.

But I'm not yet familiar enough with the meanings of all the cards to "read" someone else convincingly, so I don't know how effective I'll find it for exploring others' ideas and emotions.

I use the booklet that comes with it if i have to. Then its a matter of, if you know the other person, fitting that general theme into what you know of them, or if you dont know what it could relate to, giving them the general meaning and helping them figure out how it fits in their life :)