• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

There is no God

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Why is he bound by it? Because we're bound by it?

edit. But we aren't bound by logic because we can still be illogical. I don't see why it's so hard to accept an illogical god.

I think it's important to make the distinction of an 'illogical God' and a God that transcends logic. That God is neither logical or illogical.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

I think it's important to make the distinction of an 'illogical God' and a God that transcends logic. That God is neither logical or illogical.

I don't believe god has an actual thought process really, or that it thinks at all.

reason

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I apologize. You can say whatever you wish, you just may be wrong; I personally cannot live with that certainty, but being illogical does exist so technically logic could be an invention of man and god is apart from that.
Being illogical exists, in the sense that I can hold two contradictory beliefs at once. We can also study the nature of logical inconsistency. However, my existence, in and of itself, cannot be inconsistent. I can believe x is true and not-x is true, but I cannot be x and be not-x. Of course, God could, I suppose, be illogical in the former sense, but the nature of His existence cannot be illogical in and of itself. To exist is to be something with definite properties: to be an x but not to be a not-x, to exist and to not not-exist.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Being illogical exists, in the sense that I can hold two contradictory beliefs at once. We can also study the nature of logical inconsistency. However, my existence, in and of itself, cannot be inconsistent. I cannot be be x and be not-x. Of course, God could, I suppose, be illogical in the former sense, but the nature of His existence cannot be illogical in and of itself. To exist is to be something with definite properties: to be an x but not a not-x, to exist and to not not exist.

Look, I'm not trying to convince you as to the existence of God.. but why would you assume that the creator would have to conform to the terms of their own creation?

R

ReflecTcelfeR

Being illogical exists, in the sense that I can hold two contradictory beliefs at once. We can also study the nature of logical inconsistency. However, my existence, in and of itself, cannot be inconsistent. I can believe x is true and not-x is true, but I cannot be x and be not-x. Of course, God could, I suppose, be illogical in the former sense, but the nature of His existence cannot be illogical in and of itself. To exist is to be something with definite properties: to be an x but not to be a not-x, to exist and to not not-exist.

I guess I've been arguing God's actions more than God's coming into being, his existence has to logical, but he doesn't himself have to logical.

This was fun. Thank you :).

I believe it's related to god being a necessary being.

For one, if god wasn't logical - logic itself couldn't exist.

You don't think we could invent logic ourselves?

Look, I'm not trying to convince you as to the existence of God.. but why would you assume that the creator would have to conform to the terms of their own creation?

This.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This thread is getting uh...let me pick a safe word...intangible. That fits.

S

Sniffles

You don't think we could invent logic ourselves?
Let me first say that if the ground of all being, ie the first cause, was illogical - then by default logic cannot exist, or if it does it has no real meaning. But this is a really messed up form of reality to imagine to exist.

Ok, now do humans invent logic or do they discover it? I think the latter, so the question of could humans invent logic presents some trouble in answering. Certainly humans have devised systems of logic, but that's not the same as mere invention out of thin air.

One major attribute that distinguishes us humans from animals is our rational faculties.

reason

MBTI Type
ESFJ
It's painfully obvious that God did not create everything. Where or when did God exist before creating the universe? Without a universe, there is no there or then to exist in. Do you know what exists nowhere? Nothing, because things that exist are somewhere. Even the notion of creating presupposes a universe where, perhaps among other things, it is possible to create something: cause and effect is being assumed before the universe is supposed to exist. Did I say 'before the universe'? How can there be a before the universe when time doesn't exist yet? The long and short of all this is that, whichever way you swing it, God could not possibly have created everything, because one cannot create unless there is already some metauniverse to do the creating in. Among the laws of this metauniverse, of course, are basic logical truths.

I don't think people appreciate what they are saying when suggesting that God could act contrary to logical laws. One simply cannot do anything in a way that defies logic, because an action which is logically absurd is not a type of action at all: it's a nothing. An action is a definite event that occurs with intent and consequences, but what intent or consequences would accompany a contradictory non-action? God can no more act contradictory than he can make a circle version of a square. The only way God can make 1 = 2 is if, like the rest of us, he just redefines '1' and '2' to mean the same thing.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's painfully obvious that God did not create everything. Where or when did God exist before creating the universe? Without a universe, there is no there or then to exist in. Do you know what exists nowhere? Nothing, because things that exist are somewhere. Even the notion of creating presupposes a universe where, perhaps among other things, it is possible to create something: cause and effect is being assumed before the universe is supposed to exist. Did I say 'before the universe'? How can there be a before the universe when time doesn't exist yet? The long and short of all this is that, whichever way you swing it, God could not possibly have created everything, because one cannot create unless there is already some metauniverse to do the creating in. Among the laws of this metauniverse, of course, are basic logical truths.

I don't think people appreciate what they are saying when suggesting that God could act contrary to logical laws. One simply cannot do anything in a way that defies logic, because an action which is logically absurd is not a type of action at all: it's a nothing. An action is a definite event that occurs with intent and consequences, but what intent or consequences would accompany a contradictory non-action? God can no more act contradictory than he can make a circle version of a square. The only way God can make 1 = 2 is if, like the rest of us, he just redefines '1' and '2' to mean the same thing.

Hah, actually you're getting very close to where I referred to earlier as the 'veil', the place where people cannot know things about God by intellectualizing or talking.

But, no, what you're saying is not obvious to me. Mostly because I don't assume that because I can't imagine it, then it doesn't exist. When I think of the original act of creation, I imagine the first thing that was created the abstract of differentiation... how and what from has no meaning before that point.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

Let me first say that if the ground of all being, ie the first cause, was illogical - then by default logic cannot exist, or if it does it has no real meaning. But this is a really messed up form of reality to imagine to exist.

Ok, now do humans invent logic or do they discover it? I think the latter, so the question of could humans invent logic presents some trouble in answering. Certainly humans have devised systems of logic, but that's not the same as mere invention out of thin air.

One major attribute that distinguishes us humans from animals is our rational faculties.

So the theory of opposites implicitly existing stops because of illogical creation? That's cool. I suppose you can't invent logic, but you can invent a logical meaning. I usually do say that we don't invent, but discover. I suppose I should concede my argument then :).

That is true yes.

A

Anew Leaf

Hmm... I need to find some nice INFJ boy to settle down with and create insane NF babies with. :laugh:

reason

MBTI Type
ESFJ
But, no, what you're saying is not obvious to me. Mostly because I don't assume that because I can't imagine it, then it doesn't exist. When I think of the original act of creation, I imagine the first thing that was created the abstract of differentiation... how and what from has no meaning before that point.
Where did I suppose that if I couldn't imagine it, then it doesn't exist? Nowhere. Instead, I supposed that if something was logically absurd, then it couldn't exist. Things that exist are one thing and not something else. Is it too much to ask that God satisfy the basic prerequisites of what it means for something to exist? I could use this same argument to claim that, in fact, there is a highest prime number, because it doesn't have to make sense to exist: mathematicians and their proofs be damned.

I like that, by the way, the first thing that was created was abstract differentiation. Except, y'know, how does anything get created by anything in any order or any time before there are even abstract differences? If it was created, then what created it, and how was the thing that created it different to begin with? What caused the differentiation in the first place when nothing was different? It's nonsense on stilts.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Where did I suppose that if I couldn't imagine it, then it doesn't exist? Nowhere. Instead, I supposed that if something was logically absurd, then it couldn't exist. Things that exist are one thing and not something else. Is it too much to ask that God satisfy the basic prerequisites of what it means for something to exist? I could use this same argument to claim that, in fact, there is a highest prime number, because it doesn't have to make sense to exist: mathematicians and their proofs be damned.

I like that, by the way, the first thing that was created was abstract differentiation. Except, y'know, how does anything get created by anything in any order or any time before there are even abstract differences? If it was created, then what created it, and how was the thing that created it different to begin with? What caused the differentiation in the first place when nothing was different? It's nonsense on stilts.

You can't logic your way past that point. What came before the big bang? It had to come from somewhere.. It's essentially the same question, it's nonsense on stilts, it's our universe.

reason

MBTI Type
ESFJ
The first cause was illogical? That literally makes as much sense as saying the first trombone was illogical. It's not like logic demands in infinite chain of causes and effects, because logic isn't about cause and effect. It's logically possible that God, the universe, or a trombone just happens to exist for no rhyme nor reason other than just 'cause.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The first cause was illogical? That literally makes as much sense as saying the first trombone was illogical. It's not like logic demands in infinite chain of causes and effects, because logic isn't about cause and effect. It's logically possible that God, the universe, or a trombone just happens to exist for no rhyme nor reason other than just 'cause.

True, you have to postulate at some point. But that's just our little system of working things out, we can logic all kinds of unvalid things that way. Does the the big bang having no precedent make any sense to you as far as how you believe the universe works? Where did it come from? Was is an intrusion of some metauniverse? What are the rules of that universe, etc, etc...

reason

MBTI Type
ESFJ
You can't logic your way past that point. What came before the big bang? It's essentially the same question, it's nonsense on stilts, it's our universe.
You can't 'logic your way past that point' because there is nothing beyond that point. However, the least we can ask is that explanations of the beginning of universe avoid basic logical errors. It may be that the Big Bang was not the beginning of the universe, but if it was, then there was nothing 'before' the Big Bang, because time didn't exist before the Big Bang. The timeline begins with the Big Bang: no befores allowed. You might as well ask 'what came before there was such thing as before?'

It's like people who ask 'What's outside the universe?' They may as well be asking 'What's an exception to everything?' There is no exception to everything, there is no outside to the universe, there is no creator of everything, and there is no before the universe.

NOTE: the word 'universe' traditionally just means everything. It is sometimes used to mean something slightly different in modern physics, but here I am using the term in its classical sense.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You can't 'logic your way past that point' because there is nothing beyond that point. However, the least we can ask is that explanations of the beginning of universe avoid basic logical errors. It may be that the Big Bang was not the beginning of the universe, but if it was, then there was nothing 'before' the Big Bang, because time didn't exist before the Big Bang. The timeline begins with the Big Bang: no befores allowed. You might as well ask 'what came before there was such thing as before?'

Hey, that's fine with me. You were the one arguing that there would always have to be something that proceeded the existence of something else.

reason

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Hey, that's fine with me. You were the one arguing that there would always have to be something that proceeded the existence of something else.
No, I never argued that. I did argue that you had presupposed differentiation in the universe before its creation (for how does one create where there is no differentiation to begin with). I have affirmed a couple of times that 'shit happens' is a perfectly sensible answer to the question 'why does anything exist?'

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
No, I never argued that. I did argue that you had presupposed differentiation in the universe before its creation (for how does one create where there is no differentiation to begin with). I have affirmed a couple of times that 'shit happens' is a perfectly sensible answer to the question 'why does anything exist?'

The difference between saying shit happens and the world was created is that creation implies greater meaning in the universe, which is something that I perceive. Words like create become just shadows of what happened if God created our universe. There is no reason to think that we are capable of conveying the right ideas to explain the event. If we could, any claim of God would only be god, an entity which has another technical term: demiurge. Nothing more than a space alien with magic technology.