User Tag List

First 212930313233 Last

Thread: There is no God

Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    I didn't say i was an atheist. I have a thing about rejecting what doesn't make sense. Also I don't know why you would assume that religious belief should be respected any more than any other statement about the world. It seems pretty childish to think it should be so.
    Really? Do children naturally respect things? I would have thought it was the behaviour of a mature adult to respect even that which they believe is wrong but which others hold to be true so long as there is no imposition involved. I dont assume that religious belief should be accorded any more respect than other opinions BTW.

I'm talking about studies, numbers. It's not derogatory to say that believers score low on psychometric tests, it's simply what the evidence say. That's the sort of thing u can do with empirical data, as opposed to making up stuff. You should try it.
    Lies, damn lies and statistics?

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Erasmus is one of my favourite thinkers.
    You see, I knew you weren't all bad.

A window to the soul

Holes in the logic tend to bother me too much, also the whole singing etc just bored me to death as a kid. Generally it's either early indoctrination or some events leading to an entanglement between sense of purpose\ego\self esteem and religious belief later in life. I think reality is more interesting than glorified daddy issues and\or intellectual laziness
    Lah dee dah. How deep did you dig?

P.S., Your halo is on funny.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

There is not a single human problem that cannot be answered better by science. There is not a single thing in nature that cannot be answered better by science.

"I don't know" is where science begins. Not knowing is where the action is.

Religion is generally a catch all for "I've stopped thinking." It can be viewed as a giant rug, under which the unexplained can be swept so that you don't have to think about it anymore.

It is artful and beautiful, and I'm attracted to it. I've been involved with it. I also like rugs too. Whenever someone talks to me about God, I'll exchange the word with "giant rug of anti-thought", the big catch all for unexplained thoughts and feelings of exhilaration common to all peoples. It's a place to sweep things when you are finished thinking or discussing.

I grew up Methodist, and I've been several things, including Southern Baptist, Charismatic, and Roman Catholic. Because of my attraction to it, my road out of it was a long one...and I may still go back due to the attraction to the art of it.

However, various encounters and experiences with people led me to believe that it is all useful art and nonsense. I operate base on anecdote and feeling. I believe feelings are real, and the brain chemistry in religion is real, but I believe that the substance does not go beyond brain chemistry.

Recently I went to a talk with Michael Shermer, author of "the believing brain". I've not slogged through two books I got by him, nor the whole big giant pile of books I got by other authors, including the Hitchens brothers.

I did go for a five day trip to Japan recently. Mysteriously I saw Buddhist and Shinto temples everywhere, and the people seemed nice, helpful, polite, kind, and harmonious with scarcely a Christian church in sight. Wow, it's difficult for me to understand why they are all going to hell...

in your book at least.

Riva

The reason I do not believe in an almighty all powerful God is because proving his existence would also prove that he is a arrogant, not so thoughtful, childish, attention seeking sociopath, who is more concerned about his image than making the merits or sins that one commits count.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl View Post
    (I Jesus.)
    Jesus is the only person who brings sympathy/empathy/kindness to the Bible.

Before him it was a nightmare. It was a horror story reading the old testament.

Urgh!

Ps - Of course there are glimpses of kindness in the old testament. But it's more of a shadow of kindness than kindness itself.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

[YOUTUBE="I225Vcs3X0g"] Not the best Ark video I've seen, but some good points.[/YOUTUBE]

Setting aside that asinine tone of the video, which I don't like, consider the facts and report your rationalizations of the story, if you believe it. If you don't believe it, then you must believe the Bible is in part fable. This is for Nerd Girl and any other Biblical fundamentalist how they get around all those problems and others:

1. Sheer size and volume of animals compared with ark
    2. The lack of habitat
    3. The lack of oxygen and the cold
    4. The volume of food
    5. The separation of predatory animals and non-predatory
    6. How to keep predatory animals fed when the meet will rot
    7. The covering volume of water lacking to cover the whole Earth
    8. The poisoning of most sea life
    9. The destruction of slow-growing reef habitats
    10. The moral question of murdering everyone
    11. The gathering of species
    12. Genetic diversity for animals and humans
    13. Incest and family life
    14. The age of the people involved

I could probably find a lot more questions with this. I also know or could come up with many rationalizations, but think the story is ridiculously myth. Aren't there now better ways to explain rainbows? Every child with a prism can make one, not just "god."

Next, if you do not believe that the Bible is literally true, then how can you form any basis for your faith? In short, how do you support your faith? Do you use reason or anecdote? Choose one or both, and relate the respective support, emotional or logical.

I think using the Bible is circular. I believe unicorns exist because it says so right in this book, I might say. Any questions, refer to the book.

See I wrote my own brand of deity down a napkin, and napkin god is the one true god because it says so on this napkin! Hoorah!

See praying to unicorns or napkin gods or whatever brings the same prayer results and joy to me!

Good luck.

Yes, it is interesting that there are unicorns in the bible but not neanderthals.

A window to the soul

Quote Originally Posted by Riva View Post
    Jesus is the only person who brings sympathy/empathy/kindness to the Bible.

Before him it was a nightmare. It was a horror story reading the old testament.

Urgh!

Ps - Of course there are glimpses of kindness in the old testament. But it's more of a shadow of kindness than kindness itself.

[I believe.]

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Yes, it is interesting that there are unicorns in the bible but not neanderthals.
    I'm not sure there are unicorns in the bible.

I believe thousands of dinosaur species and other fauna are summed up with, "Levianthans of the deep" or something, even though many weren't aquatic.

Also, why are ALL the "Leviathans of the Deep" dead when it was a "flood"?

Hominids!

10,000 year old cave paintings, older than the Bible by far.

Of course, we all know that the animals were really created in the "Dream-time", but I'm not sure this is before or after the Japanese Islands were created when the deity Izanagi thrust his spear into the ocean...