User Tag List

First 202829303132 Last

Results 291 to 300 of 330

Thread: There is no God

  1. #291
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,633

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aquarelle View Post
    Well, that's a good point. Guess I'll have to verify in September!
    If you're going to meet God I want an invite to that gig.

  2. #292
    The Memes Justify the End EcK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    738
    Socionics
    ILE None
    Posts
    7,265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aquarelle View Post
    Yeah, trust in my grandma, actually. My parents were both lapsed Christians for most of my early life. They were both raised in very religious households, but my dad is an atheist, and my mom is a believer but not religious. That probably has something to do with my current state of affairs, as well. I think the main thing is that I was taught to believe as a child, and once you are raised to believe one thing, it is pretty hard to shake that belief, even if you come to realize that there are some holes in its foundation.
    Holes in the logic tend to bother me too much, also the whole singing etc just bored me to death as a kid. Generally it's either early indoctrination or some events leading to an entanglement between sense of purpose\ego\self esteem and religious belief later in life. I think reality is more interesting than glorified daddy issues and\or intellectual laziness
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

    Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

    “I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

    "Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

  3. #293
    The Memes Justify the End EcK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    738
    Socionics
    ILE None
    Posts
    7,265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post


    It makes you wonder how it has persisted doesnt it? Also how anything like the old and new testaments could be written in the first place, pretty articulate documents for having been composed by a bunch of intellectually infantile, incoherent and insensible authors.
    I was talking about the followers. owning an ipod doesnt mean you could design it. But yes, believers are generally of lesser intelligence statistically speaking according to studies and wildly used psychometric tests.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

    Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

    “I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

    "Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

  4. #294
    Starcrossed Seafarer Aquarelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    3,532

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    Holes in the logic tend to bother me too much, also the whole singing etc just bored me to death as a kid. Generally it's either early indoctrination or some events leading to an entanglement between sense of purpose\ego\self esteem and religious belief later in life. I think reality is more interesting than glorified daddy issues and\or intellectual laziness
    I like the singing part. My church band could rock out! And unlike the Catholics and Lutherans, we didn't have to stand up and sit down every five seconds.


    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    If you're going to meet God I want an invite to that gig.
    I know a place where you can hear the sound of God for $20. I think it might be a scam, though-- my brother heard it and he said it sounded like a xylophone.
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

    My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

  5. #295
    Senior Member tinker683's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Posts
    2,662

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Have you read Confessions of a Justified Sinner by Hogg?
    I haven't but by the title alone that sounds interesting.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Its something I ask of all Lutherans I meet, given what I understand of predestination as presented by Luther and Calvin in their writing, I've read them both and read Luther and Erasmus' discourse on Free Will, very interesting stuff.

    Anyway, have you read Matthew? It is the only book which has Jesus explicitly speak about judgement and the afterlife, providing more than a clue about salvation and damnation.

    He does not mention religious practices, he does not mention fidelity to laws, he does not mention sect or creed or class or anything of that kind, he describes how those expecting salvation have not proven themselves when they have had the opportunity and those who did not expect salvation have been doing it all along.
    I have read Matthew, though I'll admit it's been a long time but yes I remember those ideas and its a damned good one if I may say so.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    This was part of the big reformation era battle about salvation by faith and works or salvation by faith alone, now, the RCC has reconciled, on paper at least, with the Lutheran church, acknowledged completely that salvation can by faith, or rather grace, alone. That salvation is a gift from God as God being the creator and author of all needs nothing from his creation or created beings, therefore it is impossible to earn, deserve or win salvation by your actions.
    Yeah, I read a little bit of the 2nd Vactican Council and ecumenicalism that seems to be going on between the Lutheran and Catholic Churches.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    While I can understand the logic at work there it is not what Jesus himself taught, it is not what he lived out himself in his own life and I'm going with that.
    Keep on keeping brotha
    "The man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it."
    ― Woodrow Wilson

  6. #296
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,633

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    Holes in the logic tend to bother me too much, also the whole singing etc just bored me to death as a kid. Generally it's either early indoctrination or some events leading to an entanglement between sense of purpose\ego\self esteem and religious belief later in life. I think reality is more interesting than glorified daddy issues and\or intellectual laziness
    You know you sound pretty angry, bitter and disrespectful when you say that.

    Its a pretty facial and derogatory assessment of religion to suggest that if it isnt a consequence of brainwashing its a result of mental breakdown. I wouldnt suggest either about atheists, although there is a definite correlation in my experience between those who reject religion and who have for some reason a desire to reject their own upbringing or parent or community's beliefs and traditions.

  7. #297
    The Memes Justify the End EcK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    738
    Socionics
    ILE None
    Posts
    7,265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    You know you sound pretty angry, bitter and disrespectful when you say that.

    Its a pretty facial and derogatory assessment of religion to suggest that if it isnt a consequence of brainwashing its a result of mental breakdown. I wouldnt suggest either about atheists, although there is a definite correlation in my experience between those who reject religion and who have for some reason a desire to reject their own upbringing or parent or community's beliefs and traditions.
    I didn't say i was an atheist. I have a thing about rejecting what doesn't make sense. Also I don't know why you would assume that religious belief should be respected any more than any other statement about the world. It seems pretty childish to think it should be so.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

    Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

    “I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

    "Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

  8. #298
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,633

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    I was talking about the followers. owning an ipod doesnt mean you could design it. But yes, believers are generally of lesser intelligence statistically speaking according to studies and wildly used psychometric tests.
    It is disappointing that you would seek to advance the truth or efficacy of your ideas by such a derogatory treatment of others who do not profess to believe the same.

  9. #299
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,633

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aquarelle View Post
    I like the singing part. My church band could rock out! And unlike the Catholics and Lutherans, we didn't have to stand up and sit down every five seconds.

    I know a place where you can hear the sound of God for $20. I think it might be a scam, though-- my brother heard it and he said it sounded like a xylophone.
    I'd buy that you know, I'd like to hear the sound of God.

    Damn lutherans stealing out act.

  10. #300
    The Memes Justify the End EcK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    738
    Socionics
    ILE None
    Posts
    7,265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    It is disappointing that you would seek to advance the truth or efficacy of your ideas by such a derogatory treatment of others who do not profess to believe the same.
    I'm talking about studies, numbers. It's not derogatory to say that believers score low on psychometric tests, it's simply what the evidence say. That's the sort of thing u can do with empirical data, as opposed to making up stuff. You should try it.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

    Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

    “I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

    "Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

Similar Threads

  1. If there is no god of any kind...
    By iNtrovert in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 09-19-2013, 09:55 AM
  2. When there is no personality to type.
    By Tabula in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 09-04-2010, 10:24 AM
  3. In Charity There is No Excess - Help Type Me!!
    By Applez in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-22-2010, 10:45 PM
  4. There is no such thing as personality.
    By ygolo in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-12-2009, 10:13 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO