User Tag List

First 142223242526 Last

Thread: There is no God

Sorry, guys. The only True God is Candy-Unicorn. I dare any one of you to prove me wrong.

/totally logical
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

MBTI
    ISTx

My thread is a hit.

The God's Eye View

Canberra is designed from the God's eye view. So the design of Canberra makes sense from 7,000 feet.

And what is true for Canberra is true for our lives. For God makes sense of our lives.

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Canberra is designed from the God's eye view. So the design of Canberra makes sense from 7,000 feet.
    This remind me that I should go again to the place where landscape urbanism was born. Victor, what do you think of Griffin's plan, by the way? -since you already mentioned it several times-

Rather than being designed totally for the pleasure of the birds or, as you said of the large Eye in the Sky, it is supposed to adapt its perspectives to every hill, to every stream and every possible topographical feature of the site. And this was rather new, especially in the 1911 historical and cultural context.

As a citizen of Canberra, what is your real opinion since this design seems so important for you?
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

Smile Ducks

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    This remind me that I should go again to the place where landscape urbanism was born. Victor, what do you think of Griffin's plan, by the way? -since you already mentioned it several times-

Rather than being designed totally for the pleasure of the birds or, as you said of the large Eye in the Sky, it is supposed to adapt its perspectives to every hill, to every stream and every possible topographical feature of the site. And this was rather new, especially in the 1911 historical and cultural context.

As a citizen of Canberra, what is your real opinion since this design seems so important for you?
    The proof of the pudding is in the eating and Canberra is a very nice city to live in day by day.

And as well Canberra is a city in the Bush. The Bush is never far away and comes right into the city.

And as you mention, Blackmail, we have lovely vistas wherever we look.

And even our clever graffiti artists have put an interesting cut out of our designer, Walter Burley Griffin, on a wall not far from me. And our latest nobel prize winner in Physics is seen about town supporting good causes.

And although we look middle class, we vote Labor. So we have a good and cheap public transport system, a higher level of public housing than anywhere in Oz, and progressive social policies.

But most of all the citizens have an easy familiarity with one another - one might say we are egalitarian in manner. And we share the same sense of humour, so during the day I will share a laugh wth three, four or five strangers.

Canberra though is designed to govern a continent and a half and conduct relations with other countries.

So we have a substantial international aid program and every year we take more than our share of refugees.

But nonetheless Canberra is misleading. For on first blush it is a visual city designed from the God's eye view, when in fact it is a city of the ear. Yes, we are all connected ear to ear on the telephone.

Sound is of course invisible to the eye, even God's eye, but beneath the smooth and impressive vistas, the whole hidden world of the ear conducts business, politics and private life.

So we are like ducks, serene on the surface and paddling like mad beneath. God's eye looks upon us serenely, and beneath we are padding madly with the telephone, the television, the radio and the internet.

As an agnostic-atheist I believe there is no God but don't know for sure.

I think strong atheists that claim to know there isn't a God are more rare, is this your claim OP?

Enneagram
    7 so

Who am I to defy anyone? Including the possibly imaginary man called god.

I care very little for religion. But I also care very little about proving it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by LEGERdeMAIN View Post
    Sorry, guys. The only True God is Candy-Unicorn. I dare any one of you to prove me wrong.

/totally logical
    Wrong! He is a Humicorn.

"The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I dont believe in the dichotomy between God and Man which is perpetuated by most secular atheistic humanism, nor do I think that the "othering", with its consequence villification, demonisation or simple denial of God, the supernatural or ineffable, is useful or helpful, despite donning the guise of being open minded and scientific it is in the main the opposite and involves becoming closed off to possibilities and involves a kind of kill switch on creativity, imagination, wonder and awe.
    I agree with the highlighted, but "secular atheistic humanists" are not the only ones perpetuating the God/Man dichotomy. I also agree substantially with Pickledoctopus:

Quote Originally Posted by pickledoctopus View Post
    All the energy wasted on religion an the cult of a god could be turned towards helping humanity advance as a species, towards being good based on helping others and helping yourself... religion today has been deformed into a relentless, delusional cult for a part of the population. Not a belief in a god. I speak of the practice of religion itself, which presents itself as a human invention.
    It would help greatly if believers would concentrate on practice rather than preaching. Setting an example goes far, and is far less intrusive and counterproductive.

However, I feel a bit hurt that you assume that belief in a god affects people's respect for life. You speak of humanism. Fundamentally, religious or not, all varieties of humanism are based on the same values: utmost respect for human life and liberty. I fail to see the connection between belief and value attributed to life. If anything, I could claim that secular humanism values life more, because it presumes that we are the ''only thing we've got'', and assumes that with no life after death, life on earth becomes even more precious.

Also, there is no positive way to attempt to degrade rationality. I don't think I am incapable of feeling strongly about an issue simply because I desire my conclusions to be logical. If anything, I could claim I feel even more strongly about these issues, because I find rational justifications to support my ''feelings'' on the subject, creating stronger connections.
    I don't feel hurt over it, but agree entirely, especially with the last paragraph. Humans think and feel, and make value judgments. These abilities should and do work together, resulting in better decisions than were any to be employed alone. Religion and spirituality are not exempt from the operation of any of them.

Lastly, your assumption that without God, we would be but ''a rock, peopled by cosmically insignificant beings, tumbling in space, without any meaning or point at all'' implies humanity is insignificant and worthless from the get-go, without a superior power to guide it. Again, I feel hurt that you think of humanity in that way. For all humanity has done wrong, we've certainly been able to accomplish great things, and all the credit goes to the people responsible. Furthermore, from my point of view, the fact that we are just a small part of the whole Universe inspires me to work, it inspires awe, it inspires admiration, as much as your god would to you.

Don't fall into the trap of thinking that because the concept itself of a god is irrelevant to me, my life is devoid of meaning, or admiration, or feels insignificant. Humans are te most significant and meaningful thing I have ever witnessed.
    The concept of a god is not irrelevant to me; in fact I have spiritual faith myself. I also see much wisdom and truth in your remarks. I feel the same way, but from a different perspective, if that even makes any sense. I will share my beliefs when the subject comes up, and sometimes enjoy discussions of religion (provided they remain civil). I just don't feel compelled to persuade others to accept them, or to make them into something they are not.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I used to be an atheist before reading this thread. Then I read some of the conversation between the believers and @reason, and now I'm a super-atheist. That was beautiful.