User Tag List

First 12202122232432 Last

Thread: There is no God

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    I'm confused then. Are you saying you try as hard as you can to understand everything, and then everything else is God? I guess that does make sense, although it seems like you would have less incentive to explore what you've assigned to the God category.
    I more like take all the things I'm fucking sure about, which isn't as many things as you would think and create a framework in which they coexist, comepare it to what I see everyday then adjust ad infinitum. I'm pretty damned sure that the scientific process tells use useful stuff about the universe and I don't see how God could possibly have a separate catagory from anything, really.

To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    I more like take all the things I'm fucking sure about, which isn't as many things as you would think and create a framework in which they coexist, comepare it to what I see everyday then adjust ad infinitum. I'm pretty damned sure that the scientific process tells use useful stuff about the universe and I don't see how God could possibly have a separate catagory from anything, really.
    Then what role does God play?

A window to the soul

Quote Originally Posted by guesswho View Post
    To me this is proof that we don't know if there is a God or not:

http://www.ozanimals.com/image/album...ct/fireant.jpg
    http://images.travelpod.com/users/ma...ay-station.jpg
    http://files.coloribus.com/files/ads...mall-69039.jpg
    http://www.solstation.com/stars/earth.jpg
    http://www.astropix.com/IMAGES/D_SUM_S/MILKYWAY.JPG

The mere SIZE of the universe tends to point that it's not spinning around us, we're not that special and that if there were another being somewhere we'd have no fucking clue it exists and that other being would have no clue we exist either.
    It would be also absurd to assume that this huge chunk of space was made for us or anything else, or that we have any kind of significant role in it.

It's just there and we don't know why.

(The comoving distance from Earth to the edge of the observable universe is about 14 billion parsecs (46 billion, or 4.6 × 10(that's supposed to be a smaller 10 on top)10, light years) in any direction. The observable universe is thus a sphere with a diameter of about 29 billion parsecs[15] (93 billion, or 9.3 × 1010, light years)[16]. Assuming that space is roughly flat, this size corresponds to a comoving volume of about 3.5 × 1080 cubic meters. This is equivalent to a volume of about 410 nonillion cubic light-years (4.1 × 1032 cubic light years) ) - Wikipedia So yeah it's fucking big.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    I like to look at things from this perspective.

There is no God, and everything evolved from something else and the universe is basically experiencing itself through life forms.

The atoms get to form life, and life gets to be conscious, and bang, what was once a chunk of fucking rock is now thinking and asking questions.

Interesting

Will the life forms get to know any of the secrets of this vast chunk of empty space?
    Aw, lol, someday we will understand all of the mysteries. God knows you exist and he loves you very much. He even knows the number of hairs on your head. And every single one of the stars in the sky, God created, and he knows them by name.

I loved your post and the photos.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Kraska View Post
    God exists way before our creation.
    Yeah thats true but only like 2 weeks before.
    Ground control to Major Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Kraska View Post
    Well I'm a very organized guy. I like to take things step by step. The basic answers would be to know everything about the starting point.
    What do we know about the starting point??
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

A window to the soul

Quote Originally Posted by LEGERdeMAIN View Post
    What do we know about the starting point??
    Genesis Chapter 1.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2
    Socionics
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    The answer to the question you are calling basic is literally impossible to get to. You can't get to it either. So, you come to the conclusion that there IS a God "without even having the most basic answers" as well.

All I'm trying to say is that the "what happened before the beginning of the universe" question is absurd -- it doesn't help either side of the God debate whatsoever. I'm not trying to use it as evidence against God, I'm just trying to show you it isn't evidence FOR God. At least hold your arguments to the same standards you hold mine to.
    Correct. You can't answer that question and nor can I. However atheists seem to have answered the question already by saying there is not God. That is accordind to me a closed statement that cannot be discused. When we say that there is a God, we allow people to think for themselves about what God means. Be it a human like entity or an energy or whatever.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl View Post
    The Bible is the #1 selling book in the world; approximately 100 million copies are sold every week. It is a credible source of information.
    I was unsure about credibility of "The DaVinci Code," but knowing it was on the best seller list for so long, my doubts have vanished!

People don't necessarily buy the Bible because it is a credible source of information in the way that this thread is discussing credible information. And not all those copies are bought by people who have been won over by it; how many are bought by those who want to proselytize others, or are shipping them overseas to start new churches, etc?

People buy the Bible to examine it (because it IS so prevalent in Western culture; it's kind of the same reason people eat at McDonald's even if the food isn't nearly as good; the brand is pervasive); they also buy it because they ALREADY believe and the Bible is thus being examined to find points to use to buttress that belief as well as explore those beliefs; etc.

I mean, obviously you find it credible because you have had personal experiences or a life narrative where you already believe, and so then you decide to trust the Bible and assume it to be correct across the board. It's not really the other way around, where you dissected the Bible to determine your original belief in God. It's rather the same concept as people who have already decided they are going to play hockey will then purchase ice skates and hockey gear.

I don't really see what the relevance is in justifying the Bible's content by how many copies are sold weekly. Any validity will have to come through other means.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

I think God (in the Christianity sense) does exist but it's kind of hazy to me.

I feel God's presence more strongly in a earthy, non-christian spiritual sense.

I'm still trying to make sense of it all.