User Tag List

First 7151617181927 Last

Results 161 to 170 of 330

Thread: There is no God

  1. #161
    Senior Member Nicodemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    9,129

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kraska View Post
    If the studies proved that the theory is wrong. Then it's wrong.
    It proved unnecessary for explanation.


  2. #162
    Senior Member Santosha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni
    Posts
    1,521

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    Exactly. I always assumed that if somebody was responsible for creating logic and physics that they would be beyond their creation, in a different class of 'existence'. The thing is, it is useless attempting to describing such a thing and even more useless debating it.
    Yep. But it sure is fun, imaginging what lies outside the framework. What lies outside the universe? Can something only exist in relation to something else? It is possible that God is where relativity ends? All knowing, every existance, every thought, feeling, action, energy, here, in the universe, from beginning to end to beginning and end, cycling forever.. and if this is god.. what lies outside of this? I tell you that to believe mans current use of logic is as good as it gets, and make strong attachments or judgements with it seems very (correction) liimiting to me.
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts

  3. #163
    Senior Member reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    1,211

    Default

    God may transcend logic, but so does everyone. I can pick my nose. Can logic pick its nose? No. Therefore, I transcend logic: my abilities go beyond the limits of logic. However, that doesn't mean that my or god's existence is not bound by logical constraints. A god that is logically absurd, a god that literally makes no sense, is no god at all. It makes a mockery of god, since any attempt to assign properties to that god must be futile: god may be simultaneously good and evil, capricious and careful, interventionist and laissez faire, loving and hateful, the creator of all and the creator of nothing, or neither of any of these things. A god that is logically inconsistent is indistinguishable from random happenings and so doesn't resemble a living being of any kind.

    Withdrawing to the 'god doesn't have to make sense, because god transcends reason and logic' argument is a foolish defence of theism. In an attempt to deflect criticism, one renders it impossible to critique alternative views: nothing has to make sense. When it's impossible to resolve disagreements with peaceful argument, all that remains is the use of force. Far from promoting tolerance toward opposing views, such philosophical positions always beget more conflict.
    A criticism that can be brought against everything ought not to be brought against anything.

  4. #164
    Post Human Post Qlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,483

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Huxley3112 View Post
    Yep. But it sure is fun, imaginging what lies outside the framework. What lies outside the universe? Can something only exist in relation to something else? It is possible that God is where relativity ends? All knowing, every existance, every thought, feeling, action, energy, here, in the universe, from beginning to end to beginning and end, cycling forever.. and if this is god.. what lies outside of this? I tell you that to believe mans current use of logic is as good as it gets, and make strong attachments or judgements with it seems very (correction) liimiting to me.
    There is the domain of mystic traditions, there's a lot of imagry associated with what's 'beyond the veil'. But as Bruce Lee says (actually it's a Zen Koan), you are looking at the finger and missing the moon in all it's heavenly glory. But just because talking is problematic doesn't mean that we can't indicate the directions of things that can't be described, and it doesn't mean that we can't know things through a different process. So, yes, I agree.

  5. #165
    Post Human Post Qlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,483

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by reason View Post
    God may transcend logic, but so does everyone. I can pick my nose. Can logic pick its nose? No. Therefore, I transcend logic: my abilities go beyond the limits of logic. However, that doesn't mean that my or god's existence is not bound by logical constraints. A god that is logically absurd, a god that literally makes no sense, is no god at all. It makes a mockery of god, since any attempt to assign properties to that god must be futile: god may be simultaneously good and evil, capricious and careful, interventionist and laissez faire, loving and hateful, the creator of all and the creator of nothing, or neither of any of these things. A god that is logically inconsistent is indistinguishable from random happenings and so doesn't resemble a living being of any kind.

    Withdrawing to the 'god doesn't have to make sense, because god transcends reason and logic' argument is a foolish defence of theism. In an attempt to deflect criticism, one renders it impossible to critique alternative views: nothing has to make sense. When it's impossible to resolve disagreements with peaceful argument, all that remains is the use of force. Far from promoting tolerance toward opposing views, such philosophical positions always beget more conflict.
    So, your point is that if the Universe isn't ultimately explainable, then you won't ever be able to talk sense into religous extremists and usher in Utopia? hah. Theism isn't the source of conflict in humanity.

  6. #166
    Senior Member reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    1,211

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    So, your point is that if the Universe isn't ultimately explainable, then you won't ever be able to talk sense into religous extremists and usher in Utopia? hah. Theism isn't the source of conflict in humanity.
    I'm saying that anti-rational positions (i.e. positions which deflect any and all possible criticism) tend to beget violent conflict, especially on religious matters. Rather than promoting agnosticism about the nature of God, retreating to the 'God doesn't have to make sense' argument just immunises conflicting visions of God from criticism. Such argumentative tactics are subversive to a civil society which encourages us to fight with words rather than swords.

    In any case, the universe is explainable: things that exist make sense and things that don't make sense do not exist. Human brains are universal explainers.
    A criticism that can be brought against everything ought not to be brought against anything.

  7. #167
    Member Skip Foreplay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    MBTI
    ENxP
    Socionics
    ENFp
    Posts
    35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    The two rules of atheism:

    1. There is no God.

    2. You hate him.
    1. There is no Theistic God.

    2. You hate the effects that the belief in Theistic Gods causes.


    Of course, only the first is necessary (and strictly, it is not) I can explain this if you'd like - the latter is merely common, and for good reason I think.

    On another note, those who are quoting the Bible should first tell us why it's a good source for knowledge about God. I'm going to read through the 12 pages now; I just wanted to clear that up

  8. #168
    ReflecTcelfeR
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by reason View Post
    God may transcend logic, but so does everyone. I can pick my nose. Can logic pick its nose? No. Therefore, I transcend logic: my abilities go beyond the limits of logic. However, that doesn't mean that my or god's existence is not bound by logical constraints. A god that is logically absurd, a god that literally makes no sense, is no god at all. It makes a mockery of god, since any attempt to assign properties to that god must be futile: god may be simultaneously good and evil, capricious and careful, interventionist and laissez faire, loving and hateful, the creator of all and the creator of nothing, or neither of any of these things. A god that is logically inconsistent is indistinguishable from random happenings and so doesn't resemble a living being of any kind.

    Withdrawing to the 'god doesn't have to make sense, because god transcends reason and logic' argument is a foolish defence of theism. In an attempt to deflect criticism, one renders it impossible to critique alternative views: nothing has to make sense. When it's impossible to resolve disagreements with peaceful argument, all that remains is the use of force. Far from promoting tolerance toward opposing views, such philosophical positions always beget more conflict.
    What allows you to say that he is everything? It's the same reason why we say that he may not be everything. To think that we could offend God is just as great of arrogance as trying to define him.

  9. #169
    Member Skip Foreplay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    MBTI
    ENxP
    Socionics
    ENFp
    Posts
    35

    Default

    Nerd Girl,

    You have an answer to everything that is said to you. I wish you would use a source that wasn't question-begging. That is, literally every one of your posts that I have seen presupposes your being correct as an assumption - using the fact that you are correct to explain why you are correct. That's not useful.

    I assert that God is Necessarily irrelevant to ethics - to what is good, or if he is not, than that we could never know the difference between ANY good act or ANY evil act

    I have a question that should explain this. I am asking it to all Christians and believers of a conscious creator who still intervenes in affairs. My question to you is Socrates' to Euthyphro: What is good, and ethical, and right? More specifically, what is God's relation to it? More specifically still, do we know what is good because God tells us, or does God love what is good, so that there is a sort of harmony?

  10. #170
    Senior Member reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    1,211

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ReflecTcelfeR View Post
    What allows you to say that he is everything? It's the same reason why we say that he may not be everything. To think that we could offend God is just as great of arrogance as trying to define him.
    What 'allows' me to say anything? In any case, I wasn't saying that God is everything, but rather that an undefinable god, a logically absurd god, is a god that doesn't exist or is unrecognisable as anything like a conventional god. If 'god' cannot be defined, if it doesn't even have to make sense, then you aren't saying anything when you refer to 'God' or 'Him', because those words have no discernible meaning. It's not arrogant to try and define what one means by 'God', especially for theists who wish to understand and relate to Him. The only concepts that can't be defined are those that do not exist at all, like the highest prime number or a number greater than 2 but less than 1. A God to whom you cannot, in principle, consistently assign any properties, is no God at all, never mind the God of the The Bible (who conspicuously is some things and not other things).
    A criticism that can be brought against everything ought not to be brought against anything.

Similar Threads

  1. If there is no god of any kind...
    By iNtrovert in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 09-19-2013, 09:55 AM
  2. When there is no personality to type.
    By Tabula in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 09-04-2010, 10:24 AM
  3. In Charity There is No Excess - Help Type Me!!
    By Applez in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-22-2010, 10:45 PM
  4. There is no such thing as personality.
    By ygolo in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-12-2009, 10:13 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO