User Tag List

First 5131415161725 Last

Results 141 to 150 of 330

Thread: There is no God

  1. #141
    ReflecTcelfeR
    Guest

    Default

    I don't find any significant point in trying to decipher whether it exists or not. You will either believe or won't, but you will never know whether you feel it or not and using this world as evidence will never work because the illogical cannot be supported by the logical. This does not mean that the illogical does not exist, but we don't know the premise upon which it works.

    (I believe in something akin to God)

  2. #142
    garbage
    Guest

    Default

    has anyone asked everyone else to "define God" yet? Because that's kind of a necessary step.

    edit: nevermind, it was in the first reply

  3. #143
    Starcrossed Seafarer Aquarelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    3,532

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl View Post
    I did. Did you understand that I asked Victor a simple question, "Victor, are you Catholic?" and this is what I got (see Victor's quote below)...
    (And that's why I responded trying to use his communication style. It was jolly good fun. I hope he at least smiled.)




    @Aquarelle: The issue isn't whether Victor's post made sense. The issue was that his post was comical because he rambled on (which really wasn't an issue, I just wanted Victor to relax). I asked him a simple question, "are you Catholic?" He answers it on the first line with three words "I am agnostic" (above) and the remaining 95% of his post was a dance around that; touching on random things. It was like he lost control of his mouth and seemed totally unconcerned with the present reality. In earlier posts, he appeared to despise being asked what scriptures his comments on Mary came from. He immediately became defensive/defiant. He never took the direct route to simply answer that. All he had to say is "I don't know". Why didn't he do that? I'm guessing he felt like we might devalue his thoughts or feelings if he didn't have the scriptures to support them. And that wasn't my goal. I sincerely wanted to understand him. I was playing with him a little to get him to relax so he *would* feel more comfortable, so take the word "stupid" with a grain of salt. Read the thread.
    Yeah, I did read the thread, but thanks for the very helpful advice. I was just stating that his post didn't sound stupid or rambling at all to me; as you point out, he answered your question in the first line. Doesn't he have the right to expound upon his point? Surely if one was expected to simply answer the question and no more, forums would get pretty dull.

    I hardly see how calling someone's post stupid would get them to relax and feel comfortable... but maybe that's just my skewed worldview talking. After all, I'm an agnostic, too.
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

    My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

  4. #144
    A window to the soul
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aquarelle View Post
    Yeah, I did read the thread, but thanks for the very helpful advice.
    You're welcome.

    Quote Originally Posted by Aquarelle View Post
    I was just stating that his post didn't sound stupid or rambling at all to me; as you point out, he answered your question in the first line. Doesn't he have the right to expound upon his point?
    Yes.

    Quote Originally Posted by Aquarelle View Post
    Surely if one was expected to simply answer the question and no more, forums would get pretty dull.
    Agreed.

    Quote Originally Posted by Aquarelle View Post
    I hardly see how calling someone's post stupid would get them to relax and feel comfortable... but maybe that's just my skewed worldview talking. After all, I'm an agnostic, too.
    k.

  5. #145
    Senior Member captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp
    Posts
    3,267

    Default


  6. #146
    A window to the soul
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aquarelle View Post
    I hardly see how calling someone's post stupid would get them to relax and feel comfortable...
    Whoa there, now don't get me in trouble. I called *my* post stupid and I was both relaxed and comfortable with that. Durn I almost missed a skewed fact.

    -->click to view famous post #96<--

  7. #147
    Cheeseburgers freeeekyyy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Te
    Posts
    1,387

    Default

    Gotta love arrogance...


    ^referring to the OP, not anybody who posted more recently...
    You lose.

    _______

    RCOEI
    Melancholic-Choleric
    Respectful Leader

    Johari Window|Nohari Window

  8. #148
    A window to the soul
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by freeeekyyy View Post
    Gotta love arrogance...
    So much for the afterglow. -sighs-

    Edit: @freeeekyyy: (:

  9. #149
    Senior Member Santosha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni
    Posts
    1,521

    Default

    What if God transcends logic?

    "All logic depends on axioms (although in practice, they are more often hidden assumptions which have subconsciously accumulated, that are subjective and have been influenced by many experiences and suggestions from elsewhere). This constitutes a body of knowledge which is relative and subjective, and a limited frame of reference, which can conflict with other frames of reference. As the knowledge is subjective (and therefor incomplete) it is currently foundational but transient in nature. We only have limited physical senses, and at any time a partial insight into what reality in essence really is. God is not subject to such constraints, because God is a mystery that lies beneath all the assumptions. He is not in opposition to logic. It's just that logic is only a tool, that kind of depends on where someone is at a given time. "
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts

  10. #150
    Senior Member Santosha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni
    Posts
    1,521

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Huxley3112 View Post
    What if God transcends logic?

    "All logic depends on axioms (although in practice, they are more often hidden assumptions which have subconsciously accumulated, that are subjective and have been influenced by many experiences and suggestions from elsewhere). This constitutes a body of knowledge which is relative and subjective, and a limited frame of reference, which can conflict with other frames of reference. As the knowledge is subjective (and therefor incomplete) it is currently foundational but transient in nature. We only have limited physical senses, and at any time a partial insight into what reality in essence really is. God is not subject to such constraints, because God is a mystery that lies beneath all the assumptions. He is not in opposition to logic. It's just that logic is only a tool, that kind of depends on where someone is at a given time. "
    I have always been far more skeptical of those that attempt to describe or define god, than god.
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts

Similar Threads

  1. If there is no god of any kind...
    By iNtrovert in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 09-19-2013, 09:55 AM
  2. When there is no personality to type.
    By Tabula in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 09-04-2010, 10:24 AM
  3. In Charity There is No Excess - Help Type Me!!
    By Applez in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-22-2010, 10:45 PM
  4. There is no such thing as personality.
    By ygolo in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-12-2009, 10:13 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO