User Tag List

First 2101112131422 Last

Thread: There is no God

A window to the soul

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Yes, I am Victor's sock puppet.

Now, back to the topic, girl.
    I get it. You felt left out and wanted a hug too...

You're so squishy, boy.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

The concept of God is a very personal thing.

When you say there is no God, what you are saying to me is that our lives are ultimately meaningless. Not only am I totally incapable of believing that (I've tried), I can see no value in accepting it. But, the fact that everything has an reason to be hasn't suggested to me that any particular holy tradition is true in totality from its preferred prescribed viewpoint.

A window to the soul

It sounds stupid to you because you miss the implications. To make sense of your mirroring attempt, one would have to define 'American' as implying inhospitality.
    I would like to hear about the implications I missed, if there were more. For lack of a better word, I loosely used the term 'mirroring'. Victor has a tendancy to dance around the issues. I adopted his method in the post you're referring to, but to keep with the spirit that is Victor, I couldn't choose the same dance Victor did. I had to pick a different dance to dance around Victor's dance. He did the salsa, I did the waltz.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl View Post
    I would like to hear about the implications I missed, if there were more.
    Did you understand the point already made?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    I am agnostic.

However I define myself as an Australian. And Oz is part of Western Civilization and the religion of the West is Christianity. In fact it is impossible to understand the West without understanding Christianity.

So Christianity is part of my heritage. And this includes all of Christianity from the Copts of the first century to the Roman Catholics at their height in the twelfth century to the Protestants of the sixteenth century to present day ecumenism.

It includes Christian humanism, the theology and philosophy of Christianity, the art, music and poetry of Christianity, and indeed the politics of Christianity and social justice.
    Are you following how stupid that sounds?
    Victor's post makes perfect sense to me.
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Aquarelle View Post
    Heaven help me, I think I agree with what I saw quoted too.

It sounds stupid to you because you miss the implications. To make sense of your mirroring attempt, one would have to define 'American' as implying inhospitality.
    Well, THAT can't be right.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Ginkgo

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

I'm an animist. No central gov't needed.

A window to the soul

Did you understand the point already made?
    I did. Did you understand that I asked Victor a simple question, "Victor, are you Catholic?" and this is what I got (see Victor's quote below)...
    (And that's why I responded trying to use his communication style. It was jolly good fun. I hope he at least smiled.)

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    I am agnostic.

However I define myself as an Australian. And Oz is part of Western Civilization and the religion of the West is Christianity. In fact it is impossible to understand the West without understanding Christianity.

So Christianity is part of my heritage. And this includes all of Christianity from the Copts of the first century to the Roman Catholics at their height in the twelfth century to the Protestants of the sixteenth century to present day ecumenism.

It includes Christian humanism, the theology and philosophy of Christianity, the art, music and poetry of Christianity, and indeed the politics of Christianity and social justice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquarelle View Post
    @Aquarelle: The issue isn't whether Victor's post made sense. The issue was that his post was comical because he rambled on (which really wasn't an issue, I just wanted Victor to relax). I asked him a simple question, "are you Catholic?" He answers it on the first line with three words "I am agnostic" (above) and the remaining 95% of his post was a dance around that; touching on random things. It was like he lost control of his mouth and seemed totally unconcerned with the present reality. In earlier posts, he appeared to despise being asked what scriptures his comments on Mary came from. He immediately became defensive/defiant. He never took the direct route to simply answer that. All he had to say is "I don't know". Why didn't he do that? I'm guessing he felt like we might devalue his thoughts or feelings if he didn't have the scriptures to support them. And that wasn't my goal. I sincerely wanted to understand him. I was playing with him a little to get him to relax so he *would* feel more comfortable, so take the word "stupid" with a grain of salt. Read the thread.

I did. Did you understand that I asked Victor a simple question, "Victor, are you Catholic?" and this is what I got (see Victor's quote below)...
    (And that's why I responded trying to use his communication style. It was jolly good fun. I hope he at least smiled.)
    He is an agnostic. That means the answer to your question is 'no'.