User Tag List

First 2101112131422 Last

Results 111 to 120 of 330

Thread: There is no God

  1. #111
    A window to the soul
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Yes, I am Victor's sock puppet.

    Now, back to the topic, girl.
    I get it. You felt left out and wanted a hug too...



    You're so squishy, boy.

  2. #112
    Post Human Post Qlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,486

    Default

    The concept of God is a very personal thing.

    When you say there is no God, what you are saying to me is that our lives are ultimately meaningless. Not only am I totally incapable of believing that (I've tried), I can see no value in accepting it. But, the fact that everything has an reason to be hasn't suggested to me that any particular holy tradition is true in totality from its preferred prescribed viewpoint.

  3. #113
    A window to the soul
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    It sounds stupid to you because you miss the implications. To make sense of your mirroring attempt, one would have to define 'American' as implying inhospitality.
    I would like to hear about the implications I missed, if there were more. For lack of a better word, I loosely used the term 'mirroring'. Victor has a tendancy to dance around the issues. I adopted his method in the post you're referring to, but to keep with the spirit that is Victor, I couldn't choose the same dance Victor did. I had to pick a different dance to dance around Victor's dance. He did the salsa, I did the waltz.

  4. #114
    Senior Member Nicodemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    9,130

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl View Post
    I would like to hear about the implications I missed, if there were more.
    Did you understand the point already made?

  5. #115
    Starcrossed Seafarer Aquarelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    3,532

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    I am agnostic.

    However I define myself as an Australian. And Oz is part of Western Civilization and the religion of the West is Christianity. In fact it is impossible to understand the West without understanding Christianity.

    So Christianity is part of my heritage. And this includes all of Christianity from the Copts of the first century to the Roman Catholics at their height in the twelfth century to the Protestants of the sixteenth century to present day ecumenism.

    It includes Christian humanism, the theology and philosophy of Christianity, the art, music and poetry of Christianity, and indeed the politics of Christianity and social justice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl View Post
    Are you following how stupid that sounds?
    Victor's post makes perfect sense to me.
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

    My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

  6. #116
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aquarelle View Post
    Victor's post makes perfect sense to me.
    Heaven help me, I think I agree with what I saw quoted too.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    It sounds stupid to you because you miss the implications. To make sense of your mirroring attempt, one would have to define 'American' as implying inhospitality.
    Well, THAT can't be right.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  7. #117
    Ginkgo
    Guest

    Default


  8. #118
    morose bourgeoisie
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,859

    Default

    I'm an animist. No central gov't needed.

  9. #119
    A window to the soul
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Did you understand the point already made?
    I did. Did you understand that I asked Victor a simple question, "Victor, are you Catholic?" and this is what I got (see Victor's quote below)...
    (And that's why I responded trying to use his communication style. It was jolly good fun. I hope he at least smiled.)

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    I am agnostic.

    However I define myself as an Australian. And Oz is part of Western Civilization and the religion of the West is Christianity. In fact it is impossible to understand the West without understanding Christianity.

    So Christianity is part of my heritage. And this includes all of Christianity from the Copts of the first century to the Roman Catholics at their height in the twelfth century to the Protestants of the sixteenth century to present day ecumenism.

    It includes Christian humanism, the theology and philosophy of Christianity, the art, music and poetry of Christianity, and indeed the politics of Christianity and social justice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquarelle View Post
    Victor's post makes perfect sense to me.
    @Aquarelle: The issue isn't whether Victor's post made sense. The issue was that his post was comical because he rambled on (which really wasn't an issue, I just wanted Victor to relax). I asked him a simple question, "are you Catholic?" He answers it on the first line with three words "I am agnostic" (above) and the remaining 95% of his post was a dance around that; touching on random things. It was like he lost control of his mouth and seemed totally unconcerned with the present reality. In earlier posts, he appeared to despise being asked what scriptures his comments on Mary came from. He immediately became defensive/defiant. He never took the direct route to simply answer that. All he had to say is "I don't know". Why didn't he do that? I'm guessing he felt like we might devalue his thoughts or feelings if he didn't have the scriptures to support them. And that wasn't my goal. I sincerely wanted to understand him. I was playing with him a little to get him to relax so he *would* feel more comfortable, so take the word "stupid" with a grain of salt. Read the thread.

  10. #120
    Senior Member Nicodemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    9,130

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl View Post
    I did. Did you understand that I asked Victor a simple question, "Victor, are you Catholic?" and this is what I got (see Victor's quote below)...
    (And that's why I responded trying to use his communication style. It was jolly good fun. I hope he at least smiled.)
    He is an agnostic. That means the answer to your question is 'no'.

Similar Threads

  1. If there is no god of any kind...
    By iNtrovert in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 09-19-2013, 09:55 AM
  2. When there is no personality to type.
    By Tabula in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 09-04-2010, 10:24 AM
  3. In Charity There is No Excess - Help Type Me!!
    By Applez in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-22-2010, 10:45 PM
  4. There is no such thing as personality.
    By ygolo in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-12-2009, 10:13 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO