User Tag List

First 8910111220 Last

Thread: There is no God

The Tradition of Coptic Christians

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl View Post
    Victor, I believe in the Bible. (I stated that on the first page.)
    As far as your comment on reformation and tradition, you're throwing me a curve ball, as we weren't discussing those and I can't imagine what you're referring to. You'll have to help me out with those, if you want me to respond.

In addition, I didn't get a reply on what your source of information is; therefore, I don't have a sufficient point of reference to fully understand where you're coming from. I don't feel I know you well enough to take the liberty of translating your cryptic posts and doing them justice; as far as I can tell, what you are saying is not fact-based. (I'm trying to give you the benefit of the doubt.)
    What can I say?

I can imagine you talking to a fellow Christian in Egypt, a Coptic Christian.

The Coptic Christians have been in Egypt for 2,000 years, right from the very birth of Christianity. And the Copts take their authority from the Bible as you do and they also take their authority from Tradition.

I think perhaps you are not familiar with the Tradition of the Coptic Christians or of Orthodox Christians in general. And I suspect you are also not familiar with the Tradition and Teachings of the Roman Catholic Church. This puts you at a grave disadvantage in loving and supporting your fellow Christians particularly as Christians are now facing persecution in Egypt, Nigeria, Syria, Iraq, Indonesia and Pakistan.

And instead of loving and supporting your fellow Christians you are perpetuating the bigotry of the Protestant Reformation. And this is the bigotry and hatred of the sixteen century now perpetuated in the twenty first century.

Jesus lived in the first century, the same century the Christian Copts had their beginning. Whereas Protestant Christians only had their beginning in the sixteenth century. So it might be reasonable to think you have something to learn from the Christian Copts. And having learnt from them you might offer them support while they are being persecuted for their Christian religion.

MBTI
    INTP

A Christian would follow Christ's teachings

Words like "Coptic" , "Mormon", and "Protestant" are just words. They are descriptive, yes, but they do nothing to label Christians as anything but followers of Christ

A window to the soul

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    What can I say?

I can imagine you talking to a fellow Christian in Egypt, a Coptic Christian.

The Coptic Christians have been in Egypt for 2,000 years, right from the very birth of Christianity. And the Copts take their authority from the Bible as you do and they also take their authority from Tradition.

I think perhaps you are not familiar with the Tradition of the Coptic Christians or of Orthodox Christians in general. And I suspect you are also not familiar with the Tradition and Teachings of the Roman Catholic Church. This puts you at a grave disadvantage in loving and supporting your fellow Christians particularly as Christians are now facing persecution in Egypt, Nigeria, Syria, Iraq, Indonesia and Pakistan.

And instead of loving and supporting your fellow Christians you are perpetuating the bigotry of the Protestant Reformation. And this is the bigotry and hatred of the sixteen century now perpetuated in the twenty first century.

Jesus lived in the first century, the same century the Christian Copts had their beginning. Whereas Protestant Christians only had their beginning in the sixteenth century. So it might be reasonable to think you have something to learn from the Christian Copts. And having learnt from them you might offer them support while they are being persecuted for their Christian religion.
    Are you Catholic?

Are you Catholic?
    I am agnostic.

However I define myself as an Australian. And Oz is part of Western Civilization and the religion of the West is Christianity. In fact it is impossible to understand the West without understanding Christianity.

So Christianity is part of my heritage. And this includes all of Christianity from the Copts of the first century to the Roman Catholics at their height in the twelfth century to the Protestants of the sixteenth century to present day ecumenism.

It includes Christian humanism, the theology and philosophy of Christianity, the art, music and poetry of Christianity, and indeed the politics of Christianity and social justice.

MBTI
    ENTP

If I was going for a definition of God to use for this discussion, I would either use:
    A) An omnipotent being which has ultimate power over our universe or
    B) An entity of force that created (or is constantly creating or whatever) our universe that has no other creator itself

Edit:

Quote of the day goes to Victor.

I am agnostic.

However I define myself as an Australian.

A window to the soul

I am agnostic.

However I define myself as an Australian. And Oz is part of Western Civilization and the religion of the West is Christianity. In fact it is impossible to understand the West without understanding Christianity.
    I am American.

However, I define myself as Texan. Texas is part of southern civilization and the religion of the South is good old fashioned hospitality. In fact, it is impossible to understand the South without undertanding hospitality.

Are you following how stupid that sounds? Notice how I'm mirroring you!!

So Christianity is part of my heritage. And this includes all of Christianity from the Copts of the first century to the Roman Catholics at their height in the twelfth century to the Protestants of the sixteenth century to present day ecumenism.

It includes Christian humanism, the theology and philosophy of Christianity, the art, music and poetry of Christianity, and indeed the politics of Christianity and social justice.
    Now please don't get offended, my intuition is picking up on something and I'd like an honest answer. You wouldn't happen to be an elderly man would you?

Ginkgo

I define myself as an Australian.

Ginkgo

Oh my God. This whole interaction is a Kodak moment.

MBTI
    ENTP

Now please don't get offended, my intuition is picking up on something and I'd like an honest answer. You wouldn't happen to be an elderly man would you?
    Quote of the day #2

Now please don't get offended, my intuition is picking up on something and I'd like an honest answer. You wouldn't happen to be a bigot would you?