User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Default The Value of Heaven for Christians?

I gotta say that it seems like some Christians live their lives just waiting to die so that they can go to heaven. From what I gather from bible teachings, we're all sinners (and I do agree that no one's perfect) and we walk among our fellow man who are also deprived, all of us living a deprived life here on earth, like we're in the dregs. Our only saving grace is that we can go to heaven when we die, provided that we believe in God and serve him.

So is that what it's like for people with strong faith? Life on earth just sucks no matter which way you slice it and heaven is what you really look forward to?

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly;1761171[/quote
    So is that what it's like for people with strong faith? Life on earth just sucks no matter which way you slice it and heaven is what you really look forward to?
    this sort of sounds like a cop-out to me personally. it's like saying life is going to suck no matter what I do, so I'm going to sit here and refuse to make changes.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    this sort of sounds like a cop-out to me personally. it's like saying life is going to suck no matter what I do, so I'm going to sit here and refuse to make changes.
    Yeah, it does to me too sometimes, but it also sound a bit miserable if it's not a cop out. I don't see how you could ever really care about your fellow man if you think so lowly of yourself and them.

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    Yeah, it does to me too sometimes, but it also sound a bit miserable if it's not a cop out. I don't see how you could ever really care about your fellow man if you think so lowly of yourself and them.
    it's not about thinking lowly or highly of anyone. well it is, but that's not what i was reffering to.if you're life is great and you believe in heaven great. I'm saying if you're life is miserable and you believe in heaven and that's why you're not doing anything about it, maybe you need to reassess
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

curiouser and curiouser bluestripes's Avatar
    MBTI
    Fi
    Enneagram

for me, personally, heaven is a location where growth can be endless and a human being - that is, the very core that will remain after that which is insignificant and temporary is stripped away - can become more and more god-like, closer to our creator, as it were. since this can never be fully attained, the process can continue for eternity. and there will no longer be any obstacles to communicating with god (such as sins, selfishness, tainted and unhealthy passions or the nature of our bodies, which are not yet transfigured/sanctified and act as a screen between our "self" and the spiritual realm).

i think, if one looks at many aspects of this world, all that awe-inspiring complexity and aesthetic value one can find in nature... one can catch a little glimpse of what god can do. and if one tries to imagine what the one who created this should be like, it just leaves one speechless. so perhaps heaven will be that wonderstruck feeling, similar to an inner lightning, but multiplied by an infinite number of times. to me it is.

edit: not sure if i qualify as a person of strong faith. i'm sure there are many people whose faith is much stronger than mine, and i go to church only once in several months. but i do pray daily for various simple matters and i cannot quite imagine what it would be like without that sense of god being close.
    "i love deadlines. i like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." (c) douglas adams

"there are only two ways to live your life. one is as though nothing is a miracle. the other is as though everything is a miracle." (c) albert einstein

"if only i could grow with my eyes - like these leaves - into the depth" (c) sergei esenin

"god is in the details" (c) proverb

Nope, I am a Bible-believing Christian and I certainly don't live like this. After I started believing in God and became a Christian suddenly all the things around me gained value because they are reflecting God, especially people because they are made in the image of God. My faith is what makes me keep on going in this world (I think if I had stayed an atheist I would have been suicidal by now because everything would seem so meaningless), I believe that there is meaning and a higher reason for this world existing and things in my life happening, I don't believe that men's limited power is all we have in this world, God has the last word.

Edit: I find life with God far more adventurous, after my conversion several crazy "coincidences" happened in my life and I feel like I can see life from a different, far more spiritual and holistic perspective. Heaven is the finish line but certainly not something my mind is focussed on a lot.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Lightyear View Post
    Nope, I am a Bible-believing Christian and I certainly don't live like this. After I started believing in God and became a Christian suddenly all the things around me gained value because they are reflecting God, especially people because they are made in the image of God. My faith is what makes me keep on going in this world (I think if I had stayed an atheist I would have been suicidal by now because everything would seem so meaningless), I believe that there is meaning and a higher reason for this world existing and things in my life happening, I don't believe that men's limited power is all we have in this world, God has the last word.
    I like this way of thinking a lot better. Thank you so much for sharing.

I gotta say that it seems like some Christians live their lives just waiting to die so that they can go to heaven. From what I gather from bible teachings, we're all sinners (and I do agree that no one's perfect) and we walk among our fellow man who are also deprived, all of us living a deprived life here on earth, like we're in the dregs. Our only saving grace is that we can go to heaven when we die, provided that we believe in God and serve him.

My devout grandmother's increased talk of her "reward in Heaven" is directly proportionate to her advancing years. I think this is a relevant observation. When our mortality looms near, under any circumstances, it is human nature to consider more pointedly what --if anything-- lies beyond.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    My devout grandmother's increased talk of her "reward in Heaven" is directly proportionate to her advancing years. I think this is a relevant observation. When our mortality looms near, under any circumstances, it is human nature to consider more pointedly what --if anything-- lies beyond.
    Yes, I've seen that too with old folks and I totally understand that. I was wondering more about the younger ones I saw doing that.

Yes, I've seen that too with old folks and I totally understand that. I was wondering more about the younger ones I saw doing that.
    I can honestly say I haven't known of any devout, Christian young people that seemed preoccupied with Heaven --moreso with contemporary morality. I'm sure they're out there, but I don't think they're common. I think you'll have trouble getting even a handful here with that explicit perspective.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke