User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Permabanned

I've asked my very religious roommate this in the past and his answer was along the lines of
    "There is a sort of peace, or happiness, that comes with realizing that you are living your life one with the Lord".

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

To truely be faithul, be faithful to yourself, not to an illusion!

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    Yes! That's exactly how I grew up too. But the line of thought I talked about in the OP is different (and new to me). I'm finding it hard to understand and digest. I had no idea people thought that way.
    giggly, i think the view you're mentioning in the OP is one of extremely conservative or fundamentalist christians (possibly calvinists). it certainly isn't my view and i know christians who have experienced rather dramatic changes in their current lives since following jesus. some now have a ridiculous peace about them that is so apparent and others have an incredible joy. i do think some people have just had hard lives so the thought of heaven gives them comfort but i don't know anyone who is just hanging on for heaven. eternal life starts here, now. it isn't just for the afterlife.

edit to add: you said "deprived" in your OP. did you mean "depraved"? depraved is a word frequently used in calvinism. calvinists talk an awful lot about heaven and how sinful (aka depraved) we all are. i think they also talk about what "miserable wretches" we are, lol. personally, i find them to be quite "unbalanced" in every meaning of the word.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Synapse View Post
    To truely be faithul, be faithful to yourself, not to an illusion!
    What illusion? Speak to some they will tell you the self is an illusion.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I think on paper it sounds like Christianity would lead to that, but in practice I rarely find it the case. In fact, I'm usually surprised at how little attention is given to heaven. I have pondered before why so many devoutly religious individuals fear death just as much as me.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I think on paper it sounds like Christianity would lead to that, but in practice I rarely find it the case. In fact, I'm usually surprised at how little attention is given to heaven. I have pondered before why so many devoutly religious individuals fear death just as much as me.
    The modern world makes it very difficult to believe in the supernatural and other worldly realities whether you're inclined to believe that's a good or bad thing.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    What illusion? Speak to some they will tell you the self is an illusion.
    The mind made God and Heaven illusion. shrugs. People like to live out their illusions and only their illusions, everything else is bs to them. And end up in denial anything else exists, blinded by their own illusions without freedom from their illusions. Fear of the unknown blinds the blind. Nothing is unknown to us we think ourselves into blindness and so it is an illusion.

Hey, it's not an illusion. I've actually been there.

They didn't let me in though. But I got close. Kind of.

..Whatever. Don't believe me.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Synapse View Post
    The mind made God and Heaven illusion. shrugs. People like to live out their illusions and only their illusions, everything else is bs to them. And end up in denial anything else exists, blinded by their own illusions without freedom from their illusions. Fear of the unknown blinds the blind. Nothing is unknown to us we think ourselves into blindness and so it is an illusion.
    Did the mind make gravity or an ordered cosmos? Yeah. What about that?

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I grew up surrounded by people who attend church every week at least once and will pray at the drop of a hat... I never really hear any of them talk about heaven though the funny thing is that some of them are liberals and some conservatives but they ALL focus on life on earth right now and how they feel that it could be improved for everyone with a dash of God thrown in... no, I never heard any of them talk about heaven though, no matter how old they get... (and I'm a rural midwesterner!)
    My experience growing up was full of people who found comfort in this life because they confided in an afterlife. Discussing heaven typically followed a conversation about something in the world we felt we couldn't change and the apocalypse.