User Tag List

First 1234 Last

A window to the soul

Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairdoug View Post
    It may be consciously or unconsciously decided, but logic and reason cannot be utilized to effectively determine whether faith has merit, at least in regards to faith of a religious sort.
    No, not unconscious, silly; faith is 'belief' in the unseen [no material evidence]. Belief is a willful act. (:

[That's the partial definition.]

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    Faith, IMO, is an action arising from a conscious decision.

Much like love, you know? Sustained love is an action based from a conscious decision.
    Agreed.

Senior Member captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp

Good point. I must admit, given that I am tired, my thinking is not at it's best. Such a lame oversight on my thinking, too...

Permabanned

Sad story about Ben.
    Interesting near death experiences.

A window to the soul

Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairdoug View Post
    Good point. I must admit, given that I am tired, my thinking is not at it's best. Such a lame oversight on my thinking, too...
    The meat of your post was still tasty.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl View Post
    About if you're going to heaven?
    Nawh, I think the video ends with do you believe in " Angels and God, I do", I've never had any visions or anything like that and so dont have the same certainty.

The afterlife as, I understand it, was best described by Meister Ekhart, he described how if the end of life was traumatic enough, if people had a lot of unfinished business and wherent ready to die, that angels would appear as devils and any purifying of sin would be as torment.

There are passages in the bible about purifying fire, in heaven, Rob Bell has been the most recent to highlight it, flawed as his analysis appears to me at times he's the first to do so for a long time. Most of the character orientation which would make this life hell, would make any life, including the afterlife hellish. So what I'm saying in a round about way is that I believe in purgatory and it is my most likely after life destination if anywhere. At least for some time.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by xisnotx View Post
    Sad story about Ben.
    Interesting near death experiences.
    Yes, i found myself less analyzing it in a detached way in regards to validity, and more just thinking about this poor guy whose heart issues created a type of barrier between himself and his peers all his life and who underwent a few near-death experiences this year in mundane situations that others can do without fear. How lonely.

And now he's dead. I'm watching a video by a young man who is no longer alive, by not even a week. But whatever he saw, it was a peaceful warm place where he finally felt good and rested. Regardless of whether heaven exist, he still did experience it that way, and i hope he is at peace now. Those who are caught up in an abstracted discussion of faith are having a completely different dialogue here.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

It made me think of the Queen song which has the line "Is this the real life? Is this just fantasy?"

A window to the soul

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Nawh, I think the video ends with do you believe in " Angels and God, I do", I've never had any visions or anything like that and so dont have the same certainty.

The afterlife as, I understand it, was best described by Meister Ekhart, he described how if the end of life was traumatic enough, if people had a lot of unfinished business and wherent ready to die, that angels would appear as devils and any purifying of sin would be as torment.

There are passages in the bible about purifying fire, in heaven, Rob Bell has been the most recent to highlight it, flawed as his analysis appears to me at times he's the first to do so for a long time. Most of the character orientation which would make this life hell, would make any life, including the afterlife hellish. So what I'm saying in a round about way is that I believe in purgatory and it is my most likely after life destination if anywhere. At least for some time.
    Ah, I see. I've got no patience for purgatory. I'm going straight to the pearly gates and somebody better let me in. There are streets of gold and red Mustang with my name on it.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    It made me think of the Queen song which has the line "Is this the real life? Is this just fantasy?"
    Yeah, it's called Bohemian Rhapsody and about a kid on death row about to be executed because he "put again [the other guy's] head, pulled, the trigger, now he's dead," and now he's going through all the torment of the last few minutes of his life, wanting to be for mercy, expecting the devils of hell to come for him, and yet at the same time hating that feeling of weakness and knowing he's doomed anyway, so he just resigns himself to his fate, saying "none of it really matters to me." A little different than this kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl View Post
    Ah, I see. I've got no patience for purgatory. I'm going straight to the pearly gates and somebody better let me in. There are streets of gold and red Mustang with my name on it.
    I hope the gas is cheap.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

It is nice to know that, even though I do not believe in an after life, death can at least bring peace in the last moments.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf