User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Thread: Ideal Beauty

Certain musicians create music that has a transcendent quality, something that seems to go beyond just creating a melody, to me that kind of music represents a higher form of beauty.

Artists I am thinking off are Sufjan Stevens, Zero 7 and Agnes Obel:

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjncyiuwwXQ"]Agnes Obel[/YOUTUBE]

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Default Nature

Sometimes, the only realists are the dreamers. - Paul Wellstone

Idealists are the most dangerous people, particularly when they talk of ideal beauty.

For beauty is in the eye of the beholder. So if we wish to see beauty, we nurture the beholder.

curiouser and curiouser bluestripes's Avatar
    MBTI
    Fi
    Enneagram

just a few examples:

Shining by Katarina 2353, on Flickr

Magnolia by St Stev, on Flickr

ocelot wpz P3035325r3 by studiod_baltico1, on Flickr

Blue-ringed octopus by sbailliez, on Flickr

Iris- Orchid Mantis by amberlgrunden, on Flickr

Angel's stairs...Magical sunset light over the sunflower field by Katarina 2353, on Flickr

any creature or landscape found in nature would do.
    Last edited by bluestripes; 01-03-2012 at 08:55 PM.
    "i love deadlines. i like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." (c) douglas adams

"there are only two ways to live your life. one is as though nothing is a miracle. the other is as though everything is a miracle." (c) albert einstein

"if only i could grow with my eyes - like these leaves - into the depth" (c) sergei esenin

"god is in the details" (c) proverb

A Painted Pane of Glass

Beauty takes us by surprise. And for those who fear surprise we have the booby prize - ideal images of beauty.

And the purpose of ideal images is to take our attention away from what is in front of us. And it works. We go through our whole lives seeing the world through ideal images. It is as though we see the world through a painted pane of glass, which keeps us safe from surprises.

But to be surprised by beauty, we need to cultivate our souls.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I see beauty in things that take effort, but seem effortless. A natural expression that is not 'work'.

I remember reading that coming out of the desert the human mind was programmed to consider greenery and green things as beautiful, I can understand that but I think it could be to do with being irish too.

Reality is so polymorphous that something that looks beautiful from one angle can look ugly from another... and not just physically but intellectually, socially, etc... beautiful and ugly exist in this tension... and neither can really escape the other... we also never talk about "ideal ugliness" because for some reason the question doesn't really make sense... beauty definitely has an element of escapism in it... an escape from the mundane and the ugly. It can become a drug of sorts or limit our perception. But it nonetheless remains a fundamental human appreciation. We just shouldn't overrate it.
    Ed Womack
    Get Milked

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2
    Socionics
    INTJ

Baby, they are the most beautifull living things. They are they only innocent and pure beings that know no hatred, jealosy, greed, sexual desires and other things that pervert the human being throughout life.

curiouser and curiouser bluestripes's Avatar
    MBTI
    Fi
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by ewomack View Post
    beauty definitely has an element of escapism in it... an escape from the mundane and the ugly. It can become a drug of sorts or limit our perception. But it nonetheless remains a fundamental human appreciation. We just shouldn't overrate it.
    or the mundane and the ugly can be an escape from beauty. it is a matter of perspective. all it takes is a slight shift in the angle from which one looks at this world, and one suddenly realizes that beauty is everywhere, behind every corner - in a crack in the wall, a bud on the branch of a shrub, the shadows that fall onto the tarmac from the trees and move with each gust of wind. there is this joy that grips one to the marrow of one's bones, makes one grow cold and sends chills down one's spine. it jumps at one and assaults one. there is something about it that is akin to rape. what we call "ordinary" or "mundane" could well be a a way to shield ourselves from this. i don't think humans were meant to stand it - not every minute, second and nanosecond of our waking lives.

besides, beauty, or the dichotomy between the beautiful and the ugly, is a purely human construct. it only applies to the world we have created around ourselves, because we were the ones to design and construct it, and so we have a right to judge it by our own standards. when it comes to the larger world created by god, as the great artist whom no human genius can match, we can no longer use these concepts in the same manner. either everything in that world is beautiful, seeing that it was made out of love and carries god's own spark inside, or it is neither "beautiful" nor "ugly". it just IS. it exists on its own, for its own sake, independently of ourselves. and its value has nothing to do with what we find aesthetically pleasing or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I remember reading that coming out of the desert the human mind was programmed to consider greenery and green things as beautiful, I can understand that but I think it could be to do with being irish too.
    i do find green living beings beautiful. but the same goes for non-green living beings too - and i guess there are many people out there who are less fond of nature and don't feel quite that way.
    "i love deadlines. i like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." (c) douglas adams

"there are only two ways to live your life. one is as though nothing is a miracle. the other is as though everything is a miracle." (c) albert einstein

"if only i could grow with my eyes - like these leaves - into the depth" (c) sergei esenin

"god is in the details" (c) proverb