User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 23

  1. #1
    Lex Parsimoniae Xander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    4,463

    Default One ring to rule them all... blah blah blah (Not about LOTR)

    Ok so do you actually have a philosophy which you follow? A named (and usually shamed) known philosophy with famous names behind it or do you follow a customised path set down by the most famous of philosophers... you.

    How did you come to that manner of thinking and (possibly the same question) why do you think it's a good manner to follow?

    Do you envy those of another philosophy?

    Do you snigger at those who follow some other philosophy, if so which philosophy?

    Are there some basic quotes which outline your philosophy (whether it be mainstream and recognised or personal)?

    Do you label yourself and if so why do you do this?
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

  2. #2
    Senior Member raincrow007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    440

    Default

    Nihilism.

  3. #3
    Lex Parsimoniae Xander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    4,463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by raincrow007 View Post
    Nihilism.
    That's right... you just squawk on by yourself!! Typical!



    (How come would be real interesting )
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

  4. #4
    Senior Member raincrow007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    440

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    That's right... you just squawk on by yourself!! Typical!



    (How come would be real interesting )
    I suspect the reason why I choose nihilism would be the same reason that most people adhere to any one philosophy [or amalgam of philosophies] -- namely that it makes sense to them.

    *shrugs*

  5. #5
    Senior Member logan235711's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    166

    Default

    OMG THESE QUESTIONS ARE LONG! Do you really expect us to adaquately answer all of these?! Just THIS Alone ----> "How did you come to that manner of thinking and (possibly the same question) why do you think it's a good manner to follow?" is a novel O_O yes, let me eksplane evry E-vent of my lyph that led 2 this...I think I would like to answer some of these, but it would take too long :=======( is there anyway you can shorten or be more specific PLLLEEAAASSSEEEEEE PRETTY PLEAAZEE WITH SUGAAARR ON TOPP *puppy dog eyes*

  6. #6
    Senior Member cafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None
    Posts
    9,827

    Default

    Saul/Paul of Tarsus?
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

  7. #7
    Member Beyonder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    intp
    Posts
    66

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Ok so do you actually have a philosophy which you follow? A named (and usually shamed) known philosophy with famous names behind it or do you follow a customised path set down by the most famous of philosophers... you.
    Yeah, I've got a custom philosophy, handtailored to... well... me, naturally. I do rely heavilly on multiple 'schools of thought', though, like taoism, scepticism, hinduism (mostly dharmic traditions), virtue ethics...
    Mills 'On Liberty' and Thoreau's 'Civil Disobedience' where quitte influential on my personal political stance, while Bakunin was most influential on the political system I adhere to...
    My philosophy of mind relies on jungian and kantian notions, next to Merleau-Ponty's flavor of phenomenology.
    My epistemology is mostly orientated at scepticism and Kuhns notions about paradigmatic change.
    How did you come to that manner of thinking and (possibly the same question)
    I've been studying philosophy and the like for almost 5 years now...

    why do you think it's a good manner to follow?
    *smears face with blue paint* FREEEDOOOOOMMMM....
    Do you envy those of another philosophy?
    What? No. Are you kidding me?
    Do you snigger at those who follow some other philosophy, if so which philosophy?
    Nope.
    Are there some basic quotes which outline your philosophy (whether it be mainstream and recognised or personal)?
    - People are free to stand, but also very free to fall, on their own.
    -"Begone: Defile me not! I would rather disport myself to my own enjoyment in the mire than be slave to the ruler of a State. I will never take office. Thus I shall remain free to follow my own inclinations." - Zhuangzi

    Those are the quotes that floated to the top of my head, when you asked. For others, I'll have to consult my personal library... And I'm being lazy today, so NO RESEARCH!!!
    Do you label yourself and if so why do you do this?
    Nope.
    "I determined nothing."
    -Sceptical expression

  8. #8

    Default

    My philosophy takes large chunks from various others and fuses them together to form an odd, intellectual abomination. It perhaps mirrors an accepted, 'official' philosophy that currently out there, but as I'm not particularily inclined to philosophy other than what passively seeps into my brain, I can't say for sure.

    The foundation is a kind of atheistic/pantheistic fusion with what I guess is considered 'naturalism':

    1) No singular, setient entity with omni-powers exists.
    2) By virture of the physical properties of the universe, everything is 'connected' in some fashion of which the various lines of possibility are blurred.
    3) Life/existence is the result of physical, chemical, and biological evolutions, spanning the universe's 13.7 Ga existence.
    4) Absolute knowledge about the universe is possible.

    My mission is to reconcile this foundation with the nature of my personal existence, and like linking classical physics to quantum physics, it's not an easy feat.

    (simplistic notions follow)

    1) Nihilism is true, as I understand it, in that life and existence are meaningless in the broad context.
    2) Existentialism is true, as I understand it, in that situational meaning, choice, will, etc. exist...

    ...as well as that fundamental 'angst' which may operate independently of (1) within the framework of (2), or as a result of/in association with (1).

    I can't always operate on this plane, however - daily life simply does not allow that. From this realization a few ideas pop-up:

    Socio-political shit: I try to learn as much as I can about human societies and culture, and I try to form an ethical system based on the notion of a) consent, and b) reserve - (b) referring to the notion that just because (a) isn't violated doesn't mean that I am therefore free to do an action. How this translates into real-world terms can be a mess.

    An extension to the above is recognizing my place within human societies. They make demands, and that's not necessarily a bad thing because it's all a trade-off. What is required of me is paid back throughout the duration of my life. So in this sense, being drafted for a war is not necessarily something I would take a stand against. Yes, I am an individual, but in the prevailing mythology of the western individualism, sacrifice isn't always a sham because you were never allowed to be truly free in the first place.

    Enjoyment and action: Another way of reconciling the two views - my foundation and daily life - lies outside of the social/ethical sphere and deals with a nebulous mix of hedonism and active will. My life has meaning because I do things, and the things I do define me. Smoking a cigarette while leaning against a wall defines me. Reading Pride and Prejudice defines me. Crashing my bike into a tree and scraping my face defines me. Posting on a message board defines me.

    These are amoral actions, devoid of any meaning apart from the fact that I am expressing my will.

    A lot of the fodder for this view is found in pop-culture, especially the music I listen to:

    "...this next choice is all I have."

  9. #9
    Lex Parsimoniae Xander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    4,463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by raincrow007 View Post
    I suspect the reason why I choose nihilism would be the same reason that most people adhere to any one philosophy [or amalgam of philosophies] -- namely that it makes sense to them.

    *shrugs*
    Is there a dentist in the forum?
    (Yes yes the perfect INTP answer. You make an excellent role model m'dear.)
    Is that your final answer or could you be persuaded to illustrate
    Quote Originally Posted by logan235711 View Post
    OMG THESE QUESTIONS ARE LONG! Do you really expect us to adaquately answer all of these?! Just THIS Alone ----> "How did you come to that manner of thinking and (possibly the same question) why do you think it's a good manner to follow?" is a novel O_O yes, let me eksplane evry E-vent of my lyph that led 2 this...I think I would like to answer some of these, but it would take too long :=======( is there anyway you can shorten or be more specific PLLLEEAAASSSEEEEEE PRETTY PLEAAZEE WITH SUGAAARR ON TOPP *puppy dog eyes*
    Errm..... your odd


    Don't worry I'm not after detail. As always I'm posing the question "you think differently to me, why?" but in new and overly complex ways.

    Just post the bullet points, the mile markers, the buoys of your thinking.
    Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    Saul/Paul of Tarsus?
    I'm gonna have to research this one now

    You trying out the Booya style for a day Cafe?
    Quote Originally Posted by Beyonder View Post
    I've been studying philosophy and the like for almost 5 years now...
    Hmm I'm going to have to research some of that before it makes sense. Sounds like you've got a fairly complete intuitive system.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beyonder View Post
    What? No. Are you kidding me? ... Nope.
    How do you reconcile that you don't agree with their position and yet their thinking is valid? I know that each person hold wisdom and that each can and will follow their own path but I cannot quite come to a satisfactory balance between me thinking that method of thinking is wrong and me thinking that the person is wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by sundowning View Post
    My mission is to reconcile this foundation with the nature of my personal existence, and like linking classical physics to quantum physics, it's not an easy feat.
    I think I get your drift. Do you mean that your philosophy and your life are often divergent? If so then count me in. I'm finding that more and more.
    Quote Originally Posted by sundowning View Post
    Socio-political shit: I try to learn as much as I can about human societies and culture, and I try to form an ethical system based on the notion of a) consent, and b) reserve - (b) referring to the notion that just because (a) isn't violated doesn't mean that I am therefore free to do an action. How this translates into real-world terms can be a mess.
    This sounds like an excellent way to T through all the social networking. Well said.
    Quote Originally Posted by sundowning View Post
    An extension to the above is recognizing my place within human societies. They make demands, and that's not necessarily a bad thing because it's all a trade-off. What is required of me is paid back throughout the duration of my life. So in this sense, being drafted for a war is not necessarily something I would take a stand against. Yes, I am an individual, but in the prevailing mythology of the western individualism, sacrifice isn't always a sham because you were never allowed to be truly free in the first place.
    Yes in theory you are completely free but in reality such things are naturally constrained by the inertia set up by the society. I guess that total freedom comes with the cost of total resistance. Perhaps then total freedom is possible but just not plausible nor probable?
    Quote Originally Posted by sundowning View Post
    Enjoyment and action: Another way of reconciling the two views - my foundation and daily life - lies outside of the social/ethical sphere and deals with a nebulous mix of hedonism and active will. My life has meaning because I do things, and the things I do define me. Smoking a cigarette while leaning against a wall defines me. Reading Pride and Prejudice defines me. Crashing my bike into a tree and scraping my face defines me. Posting on a message board defines me.
    Everything done by you is you and part of you, this does resonate with me.

    Would I be correct in thinking that balance is a major goal in your thinking? You don't choose grey so much as balance white and black?
    Quote Originally Posted by sundowning View Post
    "...this next choice is all I have."
    Now that's something worth including in everyone's philosophy, pop culture or not.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

  10. #10
    Senior Member cafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None
    Posts
    9,827

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    I'm gonna have to research this one now

    You trying out the Booya style for a day Cafe?
    Not intentionally. The New Testament epistles, especially the Pauline ones, have shaped the way I think and live. He fleshed out (or trashed, depending on who you're talking to ) the teachings of Jesus to help Gentiles, raised without the Law, gain an understanding of Christ's significance and how to live in a way that honors Christ.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Similar Threads

  1. Star Trek: TOS "The Fairest Of Them All"!
    By Mal12345 in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-16-2014, 05:46 AM
  2. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-26-2011, 03:22 AM
  3. one hope to eat us all
    By entropie in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-16-2008, 01:19 PM
  4. Do you need to sympathize with characters to enjoy them?
    By Ivy in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 03-07-2008, 03:28 AM
  5. Promises for yourself - what do you do to keep them?
    By UnitOfPopulation in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-21-2007, 11:17 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO