User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Default One ring to rule them all... blah blah blah (Not about LOTR)

Ok so do you actually have a philosophy which you follow? A named (and usually shamed) known philosophy with famous names behind it or do you follow a customised path set down by the most famous of philosophers... you.

How did you come to that manner of thinking and (possibly the same question) why do you think it's a good manner to follow?

Do you envy those of another philosophy?

Do you snigger at those who follow some other philosophy, if so which philosophy?

Are there some basic quotes which outline your philosophy (whether it be mainstream and recognised or personal)?

Do you label yourself and if so why do you do this?
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    INTP

Nihilism.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by raincrow007 View Post
    Nihilism.
    That's right... you just squawk on by yourself!! Typical!

(How come would be real interesting )

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    That's right... you just squawk on by yourself!! Typical!

(How come would be real interesting )
    I suspect the reason why I choose nihilism would be the same reason that most people adhere to any one philosophy [or amalgam of philosophies] -- namely that it makes sense to them.

*shrugs*

MBTI
    INTJ

OMG THESE QUESTIONS ARE LONG! Do you really expect us to adaquately answer all of these?! Just THIS Alone ----> "How did you come to that manner of thinking and (possibly the same question) why do you think it's a good manner to follow?" is a novel O_O yes, let me eksplane evry E-vent of my lyph that led 2 this...I think I would like to answer some of these, but it would take too long :=======( is there anyway you can shorten or be more specific PLLLEEAAASSSEEEEEE PRETTY PLEAAZEE WITH SUGAAARR ON TOPP *puppy dog eyes*

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Saul/Paul of Tarsus?
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    intp

Ok so do you actually have a philosophy which you follow? A named (and usually shamed) known philosophy with famous names behind it or do you follow a customised path set down by the most famous of philosophers... you.
    Yeah, I've got a custom philosophy, handtailored to... well... me, naturally. I do rely heavilly on multiple 'schools of thought', though, like taoism, scepticism, hinduism (mostly dharmic traditions), virtue ethics...
    Mills 'On Liberty' and Thoreau's 'Civil Disobedience' where quitte influential on my personal political stance, while Bakunin was most influential on the political system I adhere to...
    My philosophy of mind relies on jungian and kantian notions, next to Merleau-Ponty's flavor of phenomenology.
    My epistemology is mostly orientated at scepticism and Kuhns notions about paradigmatic change.
    How did you come to that manner of thinking and (possibly the same question)
    I've been studying philosophy and the like for almost 5 years now...

why do you think it's a good manner to follow?
    *smears face with blue paint* FREEEDOOOOOMMMM....
    Do you envy those of another philosophy?
    What? No. Are you kidding me?
    Do you snigger at those who follow some other philosophy, if so which philosophy?
    Nope.
    Are there some basic quotes which outline your philosophy (whether it be mainstream and recognised or personal)?
    - People are free to stand, but also very free to fall, on their own.
    -"Begone: Defile me not! I would rather disport myself to my own enjoyment in the mire than be slave to the ruler of a State. I will never take office. Thus I shall remain free to follow my own inclinations." - Zhuangzi

Those are the quotes that floated to the top of my head, when you asked. For others, I'll have to consult my personal library... And I'm being lazy today, so NO RESEARCH!!!
    Do you label yourself and if so why do you do this?
    Nope.
    "I determined nothing."
    -Sceptical expression

My philosophy takes large chunks from various others and fuses them together to form an odd, intellectual abomination. It perhaps mirrors an accepted, 'official' philosophy that currently out there, but as I'm not particularily inclined to philosophy other than what passively seeps into my brain, I can't say for sure.

The foundation is a kind of atheistic/pantheistic fusion with what I guess is considered 'naturalism':

1) No singular, setient entity with omni-powers exists.
    2) By virture of the physical properties of the universe, everything is 'connected' in some fashion of which the various lines of possibility are blurred.
    3) Life/existence is the result of physical, chemical, and biological evolutions, spanning the universe's 13.7 Ga existence.
    4) Absolute knowledge about the universe is possible.

My mission is to reconcile this foundation with the nature of my personal existence, and like linking classical physics to quantum physics, it's not an easy feat.

(simplistic notions follow)

1) Nihilism is true, as I understand it, in that life and existence are meaningless in the broad context.
    2) Existentialism is true, as I understand it, in that situational meaning, choice, will, etc. exist...

...as well as that fundamental 'angst' which may operate independently of (1) within the framework of (2), or as a result of/in association with (1).

I can't always operate on this plane, however - daily life simply does not allow that. From this realization a few ideas pop-up:

Socio-political shit: I try to learn as much as I can about human societies and culture, and I try to form an ethical system based on the notion of a) consent, and b) reserve - (b) referring to the notion that just because (a) isn't violated doesn't mean that I am therefore free to do an action. How this translates into real-world terms can be a mess.

An extension to the above is recognizing my place within human societies. They make demands, and that's not necessarily a bad thing because it's all a trade-off. What is required of me is paid back throughout the duration of my life. So in this sense, being drafted for a war is not necessarily something I would take a stand against. Yes, I am an individual, but in the prevailing mythology of the western individualism, sacrifice isn't always a sham because you were never allowed to be truly free in the first place.

Enjoyment and action: Another way of reconciling the two views - my foundation and daily life - lies outside of the social/ethical sphere and deals with a nebulous mix of hedonism and active will. My life has meaning because I do things, and the things I do define me. Smoking a cigarette while leaning against a wall defines me. Reading Pride and Prejudice defines me. Crashing my bike into a tree and scraping my face defines me. Posting on a message board defines me.

These are amoral actions, devoid of any meaning apart from the fact that I am expressing my will.

A lot of the fodder for this view is found in pop-culture, especially the music I listen to:

"...this next choice is all I have."

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by raincrow007 View Post
    I suspect the reason why I choose nihilism would be the same reason that most people adhere to any one philosophy [or amalgam of philosophies] -- namely that it makes sense to them.

*shrugs*
    Is there a dentist in the forum?
    (Yes yes the perfect INTP answer. You make an excellent role model m'dear.)
    Is that your final answer or could you be persuaded to illustrate
    Quote Originally Posted by logan235711 View Post
    OMG THESE QUESTIONS ARE LONG! Do you really expect us to adaquately answer all of these?! Just THIS Alone ----> "How did you come to that manner of thinking and (possibly the same question) why do you think it's a good manner to follow?" is a novel O_O yes, let me eksplane evry E-vent of my lyph that led 2 this...I think I would like to answer some of these, but it would take too long :=======( is there anyway you can shorten or be more specific PLLLEEAAASSSEEEEEE PRETTY PLEAAZEE WITH SUGAAARR ON TOPP *puppy dog eyes*
    Errm..... your odd

Don't worry I'm not after detail. As always I'm posing the question "you think differently to me, why?" but in new and overly complex ways.

Just post the bullet points, the mile markers, the buoys of your thinking.
    Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    Saul/Paul of Tarsus?
    I'm gonna have to research this one now

You trying out the Booya style for a day Cafe?
    Quote Originally Posted by Beyonder View Post
    I've been studying philosophy and the like for almost 5 years now...
    Hmm I'm going to have to research some of that before it makes sense. Sounds like you've got a fairly complete intuitive system.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beyonder View Post
    What? No. Are you kidding me? ... Nope.
    How do you reconcile that you don't agree with their position and yet their thinking is valid? I know that each person hold wisdom and that each can and will follow their own path but I cannot quite come to a satisfactory balance between me thinking that method of thinking is wrong and me thinking that the person is wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by sundowning View Post
    My mission is to reconcile this foundation with the nature of my personal existence, and like linking classical physics to quantum physics, it's not an easy feat.
    I think I get your drift. Do you mean that your philosophy and your life are often divergent? If so then count me in. I'm finding that more and more.
    Socio-political shit: I try to learn as much as I can about human societies and culture, and I try to form an ethical system based on the notion of a) consent, and b) reserve - (b) referring to the notion that just because (a) isn't violated doesn't mean that I am therefore free to do an action. How this translates into real-world terms can be a mess.
    This sounds like an excellent way to T through all the social networking. Well said.
    An extension to the above is recognizing my place within human societies. They make demands, and that's not necessarily a bad thing because it's all a trade-off. What is required of me is paid back throughout the duration of my life. So in this sense, being drafted for a war is not necessarily something I would take a stand against. Yes, I am an individual, but in the prevailing mythology of the western individualism, sacrifice isn't always a sham because you were never allowed to be truly free in the first place.
    Yes in theory you are completely free but in reality such things are naturally constrained by the inertia set up by the society. I guess that total freedom comes with the cost of total resistance. Perhaps then total freedom is possible but just not plausible nor probable?
    Enjoyment and action: Another way of reconciling the two views - my foundation and daily life - lies outside of the social/ethical sphere and deals with a nebulous mix of hedonism and active will. My life has meaning because I do things, and the things I do define me. Smoking a cigarette while leaning against a wall defines me. Reading Pride and Prejudice defines me. Crashing my bike into a tree and scraping my face defines me. Posting on a message board defines me.
    Everything done by you is you and part of you, this does resonate with me.

Would I be correct in thinking that balance is a major goal in your thinking? You don't choose grey so much as balance white and black?
    "...this next choice is all I have."
    Now that's something worth including in everyone's philosophy, pop culture or not.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I'm gonna have to research this one now

You trying out the Booya style for a day Cafe?
    Not intentionally. The New Testament epistles, especially the Pauline ones, have shaped the way I think and live. He fleshed out (or trashed, depending on who you're talking to ) the teachings of Jesus to help Gentiles, raised without the Law, gain an understanding of Christ's significance and how to live in a way that honors Christ.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers