• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Experience & knowledge

FunnyDigestion

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
What really is the relationship between experience & knowledge?

Ever thought about that?

What I mean is, what does it all MEAN... do you learn something by being in pain?

FunnyDigestion

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
What I really mean is, I imagine life as like a great storm, in which everything alive is just caught up-- it's going to keep going whether you like it or not, & will be invariably violent & turblent most of the time, but still, one has a certain freedom of movement within it all, you have a certain control over your position in the waves of garbage that inevitably envelop you. It could even be imagined that a person might attain a type of peaceful balance within the storm, moving onward in the inexorable wave of experience.

I think a lot about people's reactions to things-- what people's feelings are. What would people think if I did this, if I said that... I think that's where my creativity comes from, although a lot of the time I just do whatever comes to mind & don't really have anything else in mind. But I care about people's perspectives, I care about what it is that each individual person knows, & try to access the universal commonalities to everyone's inner processing & whatnot.

I'm not really sure what I'm saying anymore but I'm going to go on.

Isn't it weird to think how people change, how people grow, emotionally? But then you always stay kind of the same. The after is never disconnected from the before, today is always in the light of yesterday. But isn't the truest path to knowledge just to take a flying leap into some weird shit, fall on your face, & pick yourself up again? Like when you see a kid fall & skin his knees, he's there on the ground for a minute to process the pain before he starts crying. He takes a minute to realize what's happened to him. I think everything's like that. You think you're one place, then you do a bunch of blah-blah-blah, living etc., & suddenly realize that something's actually happened to you. Kinda weird.

Is knowledge experience or vice versa?

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEYxo2kwR48&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEYxo2kwR48&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

FunnyDigestion

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
One of the important things I think about experience is that it's very squishy... when you experience something, chances are that you've just been squished very heavily into somehting less than fully agreeable... but that's a little unusual, maybe I shouldn't say those things to the common ppl.

luismas

MBTI Type
INTP
The word 'experience' originally meant 'test, trial, danger'. That is to say, before we experience anything, there is a forecast in the mind, a reckoning. The experience brings out something to the awareness. This, in turn, may stimulate or repress the awareness into/against further experience. Knowledge could be defined as 'pratical' use of whatever that has been spawned in the awareness, or merely the conscious exposing, recalling or ordering of those results. Knowledge, then, may be acquired through many means, directly or indirectly, i.e. by way of 'communication',literally, making something commonground. Some say knowledge is such part of truth that has become belief in the mind. That is anyone's guess, I suppose.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Experience is certainly one means of gaining knowledge. You learn by doing what works well and what doesn't. The more practice you have the better. It isn't the only way to gain knowledge though. There is theoretical knowledge and book knowledge which doesn't require any firsthand experience.

FunnyDigestion

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
The word 'experience' originally meant 'test, trial, danger'. That is to say, before we experience anything, there is a forecast in the mind, a reckoning. The experience brings out something to the awareness. This, in turn, may stimulate or repress the awareness into/against further experience. Knowledge could be defined as 'pratical' use of whatever that has been spawned in the awareness, or merely the conscious exposing, recalling or ordering of those results. Knowledge, then, may be acquired through many means, directly or indirectly, i.e. by way of 'communication',literally, making something commonground. Some say knowledge is such part of truth that has become belief in the mind. That is anyone's guess, I suppose.

I think knowledge is something you carry with you... you don't have to think about it. You just already know it. It has to do with survival.... & fun-loving ability. How did people survive this long? Partly knowledge, partly luck. I think guessing has a lot to do with it. But also a fearlessness about the potential of making the wrong guess. If you live your life guessing, you'll make a lot of mistakes, just as a consequence of not being a fully rigorous scientific type guy, but then you'll probably also have more fun. But I think the best knowledge is just "fuck that shit, I know what it's like"-- cause you've been there yourself.

FunnyDigestion

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Experience is certainly one means of gaining knowledge. You learn by doing what works well and what doesn't. The more practice you have the better. It isn't the only way to gain knowledge though. There is theoretical knowledge and book knowledge which doesn't require any firsthand experience.

But my question also works the other way, isn't it true that knowledge is also experience? To know about something is similar to experiencing it, that's why art has such a strong influence on people. What if you didn't know the Holocaust had happened, what would you be like? What if you didn't know that torture was historically real, that serial killers were real, that all this evil shit had happened, doesn't that knowledge change you? To know the truth is to experience it in a way, because in both cases you can't deny it, because it's too immediate. Y/N??

luismas

MBTI Type
INTP
But my question also works the other way, isn't it true that knowledge is also experience? To know about something is similar to experiencing it, that's why art has such a strong influence on people. What if you didn't know the Holocaust had happened, what would you be like? What if you didn't know that torture was historically real, that serial killers were real, that all this evil shit had happened, doesn't that knowledge change you? To know the truth is to experience it in a way, because in both cases you can't deny it, because it's too immediate. Y/N??

Knowledge, as you put it, can be roughly equaled to experience in so far as the former results of the latter. But that does not always happen; one can experience without getting to know a particular thing, perhaps by not deeming it as part of reality. Drawing out from sources of knowledge can sometimes replace learning from natural consequences. Let us consider four concepts : 'knowledge' , 'experience', 'influence' and 'awareness' . The first two can be seen as concurring as influence for the awareness, or acception of whatever as possible.