User Tag List

First 789101119 Last

Results 81 to 90 of 202

  1. #81
    Occasional Member Evan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1
    Posts
    4,223

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Munchies View Post
    Atheist beleive in disbeleif. Hypocrites.
    That's a strawman argument.

  2. #82
    Senior Member Beargryllz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    2,739

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    Actually, atheism would be the disbelief in god(s), whereas agnosticism is the lack of belief concerning god(s).

    Otherwise, yeah 'n stuff.
    Agnosticism is uncertainty

    atheism is not a disbelief in gods, it is the lack of a belief in god(s)

    gnostic atheism would be considered a disbelief in gods, but I'm quite certain most atheists are agnostic

  3. #83

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    Agnosticism is uncertainty

    atheism is not a disbelief in gods, it is the lack of a belief in god(s)

    gnostic atheism would be considered a disbelief in gods, but I'm quite certain most atheists are agnostic
    Naturally there are other definitions, but I just jumped on Merriam Webster right quick:

    athe·ism
    noun \ˈā-thē-ˌi-zəm\
    Definition of ATHEISM
    1
    archaic : ungodliness, wickedness
    2
    a : a disbelief in the existence of deity b : the doctrine that there is no deity
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

  4. #84
    Occasional Member Evan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1
    Posts
    4,223

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    Agnosticism is uncertainty

    atheism is not a disbelief in gods, it is the lack of a belief in god(s)

    gnostic atheism would be considered a disbelief in gods, but I'm quite certain most atheists are agnostic
    Really?

    How do you define belief then? I believe in the hypothesis that seems least untrue out of all the mutually exclusive hypotheses I can think of. My version of belief requires no proof.

  5. #85
    Senior Member Beargryllz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    2,739

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    Really?

    How do you define belief then? I believe in the hypothesis that seems least untrue out of all the mutually exclusive hypotheses I can think of. My version of belief requires no proof.
    Belief would be synonymous with truth as it is known by an individual

    Ask yourself what is true

    The answer is what you believe

    That is your belief

  6. #86
    Occasional Member Evan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1
    Posts
    4,223

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    Belief would be synonymous with truth as it is known by an individual

    Ask yourself what is true

    The answer is what you believe

    That is your belief
    So you're saying you don't think it's true that there is no God? I don't even really consider that atheism.

  7. #87
    Senior Member Beargryllz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    2,739

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    So you're saying you don't think it's true that there is no God? I don't even really consider that atheism.
    I do

    I do not have any faith in any god

    Therefore, I am an atheist (without a god)

    A theist would believe in one or more deities, since I do not, I must be atheist.

    I am also certainly agnostic, but neither of these really describe much about what I believe, they are simply facts about me

    I would consider myself a humanist more than an atheist or agnostic

  8. #88
    Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp
    Posts
    2,912

    Default

    It's pointless to attempt to convince others to believe in something you "just know". You are discussing instinctive beliefs here; both sides can provide all the 'evidence' they want, but ultimately people either believe or they don't, and they can't consciously change that fact.

    I don't believe in god, not because I am persuaded to by discourse, but because I am incapable of doing so. It's not a choice, so whether my atheism is beneficial to me or not is of little matter. It's not something I want to promote or dissuade others from because it's not inherently good or bad; just as faith is not inherently good or bad.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

    I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

    - Emily Bronte

  9. #89
    Occasional Member Evan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1
    Posts
    4,223

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    I do

    I do not have any faith in any god

    Therefore, I am an atheist (without a god)

    I am also certainly agnostic, but neither of these really describe much about what I believe, they are simply facts about me

    I would consider myself a humanist more than an atheist or agnostic
    I get ya.

    I'm not sure if I agree that most people that call themselves atheists do not have a positive belief in the lack of a god, though.

  10. #90
    Senior Member Beargryllz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    2,739

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    I get ya.

    I'm not sure if I agree that most people that call themselves atheists do not have a positive belief in the lack of a god, though.
    It was presumptuous of me, wasn't it

Similar Threads

  1. [ISTP] Who is a good partner for the female ISTP ???
    By blucie in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 125
    Last Post: 05-16-2015, 08:43 AM
  2. Why I think Libertarians having a good showing this election year is a good thing
    By ygolo in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: 11-11-2010, 01:32 PM
  3. Why is it good that God exists?
    By Virtual ghost in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 79
    Last Post: 10-02-2008, 11:13 PM
  4. Eri is a good Mom
    By Domino in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: 03-15-2008, 01:13 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO