• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is Atheism good?

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
"Atheism is so senseless. When I look at the solar system, I see the earth at the right distance from the sun to receive the proper amounts of heat and light. This did not happen by chance." Sir Isaac Newton

That's a pretty simple fallacy on the part of Mr Newton. You migh want to google "why a letter always arrives at it's destination".

I think we all can agree on this. If there's no intelligent design, chaotic randomness can be pretty damn impressive.

That much we can all agree on :)

Philosorapteuse

right on the left wing
MBTI Type
INTP
I just wanted to know how exactlly does Atheism help you in your life? I mean how does it make you feel better to belive there is no God?

This is not meant to insult anybody but I'm just facinated about how some people can live without any kind of faith.

To me, this is a completely wrong-headed approach to the question.

I don't not believe in God because it in some way "makes me feel better." What on earth kind of reason is that for believing or not believing in something? :huh: I don't believe in God because I see no compelling rational evidence for it. It's not even a case of "I'd rather be right than happy" - although I've never really got that anyway, because being right makes me happy. ;) Whether or not it makes me happy is irrelevant. What is the case is the case, regardless of what I feel about it.

As for how not believing in any sort of God makes me feel? I'm just fine. I feel no need for faith at all. I can't see how belief in a God who will judge me according to principles I find flawed would make me feel any better. Frankly, I don't find the God of the the Bible to be worthy of worship, and certainly not if you take it literally. I actually find it far more awesome that the complexity of this world just came about without a creator figure. I don't think there are any absolute objective Platonic-style moral facts. The idea that religion is necessary for ethics is just rubbish nowadays. I don't need it to have my own consistent ethical system - or, indeed, for theist friends to consider me a good and moral person. I'm not sure I like the idea of a world like that. Complexity is awesome. Why would I want to simplify it? I don't object to other people holding beliefs, by the way; this is my personal stance. Religion has certainly played a worthy part in our past, but I honestly think that our present would be better off without it if we took the trouble to establish some principles on better grounds than "God says so".

ETA: I'd actually describe myself as agnostic rather than "atheist". I don't actively espouse the fixed view that there is no God. I just don't believe in God til i have a good reason to. I would change my mind given a good enough reason. But never having been given one, I don't currently believe in God.

Last edited: