User Tag List

First 31112131415 Last

Results 121 to 130 of 202

  1. #121
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,529

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kraska View Post
    I don't think human kind will resist that long. Scientists can't even say what was before the Big Bang and our resources are running low fast.
    There was no Big Bang. There was no explosion. Galaxies are not exploding away from each other, rather space is expanding, and expanding at an accelerating rate.

  2. #122
    Member Kraska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2
    Socionics
    INTJ
    Posts
    93

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Which makes a lot of sense if was the beginning.
    You want to say that the Big Bang was the begin?

  3. #123
    Member Kraska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2
    Socionics
    INTJ
    Posts
    93

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    There was no Big Bang. There was no explosion. Galaxies are not exploding away from each other, rather space is expanding, and expanding at an accelerating rate.
    Well, as much as I know this is the most accepted theory and I'm ok with it.

  4. #124
    Senior Member Nicodemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    9,130

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kraska View Post
    You want to say that the Big Bang was the begin?
    That is the best explanation currently available to me.

  5. #125
    Member Kraska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2
    Socionics
    INTJ
    Posts
    93

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    That is the best explanation currently available to me.
    I find it hard to belive that the little ball that exploded simply was there, like that, by magic.

  6. #126
    Senior Member Nicodemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    9,130

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kraska View Post
    I find it hard to belive that the little ball that exploded simply was there, like that, by magic.
    I find it hard to believe that people watch Tyler Perry movies. But they do, they really do.

    Of course, nobody suggests magic. You may find this film interesting.

  7. #127
    Occasional Member Evan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1
    Posts
    4,223

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kraska View Post
    I find it hard to belive that the little ball that exploded simply was there, like that, by magic.
    Even assuming some force put that little ball there, we still have to answer -- what put THAT force there? This line of questioning leads to infinite regress.

    I never understood why people were content stopping once they got to the God part of the regression... the same question applies all the way down.

  8. #128
    Blah Orangey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Munchies View Post
    agnostiscm>athiesm. Athiesm is more inclined to think there tehre is no god seeing as the word in greek is (without god" i dont wanna hear bs of my arguement being a strawman arguement. The only logical beleif is the beleif that anyhting is possible. Because you woudnt know otherwise
    You do realize that much of what we "know" is based on calculations of probability, right? So it's pretty stupid to say that if we don't have 100% metaphysical certitude in X, that we shouldn't believe X. If we did, we'd be pretty well fucked.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

  9. #129
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,529

    The Nobel Prize in Physics

    Quote Originally Posted by Kraska View Post
    I find it hard to belive that the little ball that exploded simply was there, like that, by magic.
    There was no little ball. There was no explosion.

    The bloke down the hall has just receive the Nobel Prize for Physics for discovering that it is space that is expanding at an accelerating rate.

    The Big Bang is a sop to those of a religious disposition, who start with an a priori belief in God, and so it make sense to them that God created the Big Bang.

    The Big Bang is so anthropromorphic, surely that would make us suspicious. But no, we are here because we believe in a fake personality test, so why not go the whole hog and believe in God and the His Big Bang. Gosh, we were created by our father's big bang, so naturally we think the universe was created by God's Big Bang.

    Unfortunately there is no evidence for God and His Big Bang, while the evidence for space expanding at an accelerating rate is so strong as to merit the Nobel Prize in Physics.

  10. #130
    darkened dreams labyrinthine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    8,595

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kraska View Post
    I find it hard to belive that the little ball that exploded simply was there, like that, by magic.
    Not a little ball, but a singularity. Before that point there was not time. I'm not an expert in physics, but I know enough that trying to place events of origin in continuous linear time doesn't make much sense, but we are driven to do it because that is how we perceive reality.

    There is a great deal that human beings don't understand and possibly cannot understand. There isn't any other form of life we can observe that has the ability to comprehend everything that is, and so it is a mis-step to assume humans have that ability. The question of god is bigger than what we can address definitively, but only if deconstructed to the point that we aren't trying to assign specific definitions to what god is. The more specific the parameters we place on the concept of god, the greater the burden to prove it and the less likely it is of existing. When you follow this reasoning, you deconstruct the concept back to a point of the indefinable.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

Similar Threads

  1. [ISTP] Who is a good partner for the female ISTP ???
    By blucie in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 125
    Last Post: 05-16-2015, 08:43 AM
  2. Why I think Libertarians having a good showing this election year is a good thing
    By ygolo in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: 11-11-2010, 01:32 PM
  3. Why is it good that God exists?
    By Virtual ghost in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 79
    Last Post: 10-02-2008, 11:13 PM
  4. Eri is a good Mom
    By Domino in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: 03-15-2008, 01:13 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO