User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Akari View Post
    Like dorareever's posts, good and evil don't really exist.
    This is definitely a concept worth exploring, but having done so myself I find that I disagree.

MBTI
    infp
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    fuck

A good person is: defiantly irrational.

Hah!
    There's reason to be afraid, and reason to open your heart. ~ Seal

Refreshment for your ears: www.kexp.org

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Akari View Post
    Maybe honest, kind and responsible are the stereotypes for the word good?

Like dorareever's posts, good and evil don't really exist. It could even mean self-confident. Most say 'good' people don't cause harm, and don't create it. So aren't most normal people good people?
    Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    This is definitely a concept worth exploring, but having done so myself I find that I disagree.
    I agree with Oberon. Good and evil do exist.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

A good person isn't an ideal, it's a compromise of ideals. Note, for example, that nearly all the posts above appear to imply that this ideal of a 'good' person is gender-neutral. This reminds me, of course, of the last good person I met.

I was driving out on the interstate and ended up with a flat tire. Normally, I would have just driven a damn car on the shoulder of the road until I got to some place that I could get it fixed, but I was also out of gas. Also, the battery was dead and the radiator was spewing something that could have been steam, but smelled like something else entirely.

I was going to just abandon the car and steal another when a police cruiser rolled up behind me. That was when I met it. It popped out of the cruiser and bounded towards me cheerily, calling in a voice that was either a deep alto or a high tenor, "Anything I can do to help you, mister?"

I frowned, looked at the car and breathed in an acrid fume or two. I smirked at the officer and replied, "Can you make these things fly?"

"I sure can't, but if I could I would!" it said in a cool, consoling voice. "I'll tell you what, though, I'll call a tow truck for you. Do you have insurance?"

"Nope," I admitted. Why the hell would I insure a car that I stole a few hours earlier?

The officer smiled. "No problem. It's a little sketchy, maybe, but I think you can get a tow off of mine, no charge."

So far, I was convinced that this was the the most genuinely good person I had ever met. Eager to be of very limited assistance, always with something to offer and not pushy in any way. I almost felt bad about having broken the law, but not bad enough to try to maneuver myself into finding an opening to manipulate this sap, "Is there anything I can do for you?"

It smiled. "I'm sure I can think of something," it said.

That's when the story really started getting good.

MBTI
    INFJ

I kind of grindge when I see someone describing someone as a "good" person because we all have our faults n we screw up n we all have inner demons which gets the better of us from time to time..but not to cause conflict ......I would say for me the idea of a good person would besomeone who does the right thing no matter what the stakes are...n stays away from the "popular thing"...Also someone whos honest, trustworthy, reliable, courteous, and someone that encourages n motivates others....Just the person that influences u into remembering them way after their gone.. Just someone that after spending an hour or day with, just encourages you to continue on with life n makes u believe theirs still respectful n admirable people out in the world...
    "People often Find out the truth, when its too late!!!"

Introverted (I) 78.79% Intuitive (N) 61.54% Feeling (F) 65.85% Judging (J) 60.53%

MBTI
    ENFJ

One who understands and accepts the consequences of their actions.
    There is no such thing as separation from God.

MBTI
    OMNi

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    I agree with Oberon. Good and evil do exist.
    They exist as humanly defined concepts, not as universal or absolute qualities in the natural universe. If this thread proves anything it is that "Good" and "Evil" are subjective because the perceptions of those concepts change depending upon who you speak to. Each individual holds their own "objective" vision of what those concepts mean based upon their own personal values, but just as people have different values, they have different perspectives of what good and evil are. More than anything, the question of this thread is demonstrating people's values. It's actually kind of fascinating getting that kind of look into people's psyche.

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
    One who understands and accepts the consequences of their actions.
    So you can't be good if you don't understand the consequences of your actions?
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    So you can't be good if you don't understand the consequences of your actions?
    You can have good intentions, but as we know very well, the road to Hell is paved with them.

In my experience, people who understand the implications of what they do tend to be the most level-headed.

I can have good intentions trying to console someone, but if I don't know what not to say as well as what to say, I could unintentionally hurt someone.
    There is no such thing as separation from God.

MBTI
    OMNi

You can have good intentions, but as we know very well, the road to Hell is paved with them.

In my experience, people who understand the implications of what they do tend to be the most level-headed.

I can have good intentions trying to console someone, but if I don't know what not to say as well as what to say, I could unintentionally hurt someone.
    Interesting. You value responsiblity and competence.

I might have to go through this thread and determine what values each individual holds from how they answered the question.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

Oberon

What if they understand the implications of what they do, and happily do things that harm people anyway?