User Tag List

First 678

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by fia View Post
    I was just basing it on some of the angry exchanges from people who represent some of those positions. I tried to clarify in the second paragraph when I said that people are working towards understanding reality. That is what is going on a deeper level, but in these surface exchanges things deteriorate in ways that don't generally inspire respect. It is possible to still respect the individuals for their core search, but not agree with the surface fighting.
    This is very well said and a great point.
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Yeah, you know its not really an embarrassment to theists that there's a so called "God particle", infact surely its good news, when are atheists going to find the "there's no God particle"?
    Hah, although I can spot a hint of irony, I think atheists are much more interested in the "God particle" than theists. In order to exclude any kind of religious connotation, why not simply call it the Higgs boson? It's gotten its nickname from a book published by an atheist and the physicist who came out with the concept of such a particle was also an atheist. If I may quote Wikipedia, "The particle is sometimes called the God particle, a title deplored by some scientists as a media hyperbole that misleads readers." (Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Higgs_boson)

Why would it be good news for theists that there's a "God particle", again?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

@Lark: I have a question: what does "spirit" mean to a religious person such as yourself? If you can define that it'd help me answer your original question.

(Although the literal answer is yes, atheists can talk about anything just like anyone else.)

Sniffles

What a coincidence, Alister McGrath just wrote a piece about the connection between the "God particle" and religious faith:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/8...-of-faith.html

Atheists can talk about spirits. As mentioned before, a belief in spirits is different from a belief in God.

But even Atheists who don't believe in spirits can talk about it. You don't have to believe in something to talk or know about it.

For instance, I know a lot about typology and such, but I don't really believe in it (I am what you might call agnostic towards it).

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    yupp

yes just like they can talk about god, you don't have to believe in god to talk about him
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    What a coincidence, Alister McGrath just wrote a piece about the connection between the "God particle" and religious faith:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/8...-of-faith.html
    That was an interesting article. But I think the author is working off of misconceptions.
    1) He juxtaposes those who believe science "proves" things to those who believe it provides explanations using ideas that "may sometimes lie beyond proof." That is such a grotesque caricature, I am not sure where to begin.
    2) He posits that scientists "believe" in the existence of the Higgs Boson in the same way that Theists believe in God. He neglects the fact the "believers" in the Higgs Boson would not only be willing to abandon their belief if further evidence were to tell them to abandon it, but they would revel in the abandonment of the idea. That would mean our Standard Model was quite a ways off from reality, and would mean a lot more interesting future in Physics.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp

There may be a connection between the so-called "God-particle" and religious faith, but I wouldn't think of it as being a significant one because of the many differences in the way these two matters are approached. It's needless to say that, while scientists actually try to prove the existence of the Higgs boson, religious fanatics usually limit themselves to arguments taken from the Bible in order to support their affirmations. I don't think that's enough of a proof. I also don't think that all occurences that are unexplainable at a certain moment in time should be attributed to God.