First 45678 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

-----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

Quote Originally Posted by Argus View Post
    It won't, and you're wrong.

Please don't speak for Peguay. He can it handle himself.
    At least he can spell his name.
    Excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Well damn....I'm incredibely butthurt now.

This must be an ENTP ritual or something.
    I wonder if atheists can perform rituals too.

Sniffles

Default Getting back on topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott N Denver View Post
    ^ integral non-dualist, very interesting. I would call myself integral and advaita vedanta [which in english basically means/translates as nondualism]

Anyways, sure they can! I view Ken Wilber as atheist [and enlightened] and he uses the word spirit quite frequently in his writings. I think a lot of the answer depends on what one means by theist. I think many people try to avoid it, but an extremely strong case can be made that Buddhism is atheistic. By extension, other religions that hold the same ultimate viewpoint would be as well.

I think of theism as " an external ultimate independent creator god stood outside of creation and made creation, and said creater god is not us/ we are not said creator god." Under such definition Buddhism is absolutely atheistic, as would be Hinduism as well, for example. I think we could define theism in such a way that Buddhism, and others like it, then became theistic. So, like I said earlier, a lot of the answer comes down to "what does theism mean?"

Personally, I've viewed myself as atheist polytheist before, but then I decided there were better words available and that it didn't matter.
    Non-theistic would probably be a better term for many Eastern religions, since very often there is a concept of "god" in the basic sense comparable to a first cause or ground of being - just not in the same way as seen in Abrahamic faiths. Furthermore there's no uniform agreement on the status of gods or divine beings in them. I made this point in another thread, especially concerning the difference between the Theravada and Mahayana traditions within Buddhism. Dr. B. Alan Wallace's point is very interesting too, about how deep down there's very little difference between Vajrayana Buddhism and a NeoPlatonic interpretation of Christianity.

Hinduism is a slightly different story, since there's so many different variations of it. There are more than plenty of gods and goddesses, so atheism wouldn't be an accurate descriptor here(atheism meaning without god(s) ); except in the case of the Cārvāka school, which does advance an atheistic perspective.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    I wonder if atheists can perform rituals too.
    [youtube="SAYl-2mGQuM"]atheist rain dance[/youtube]

Can atheists talk about spirit?
    Yes, but probably not often. Can theists talk about the Higgs Boson? Of course, but probably not often.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Non-theistic would probably be a better term for many Eastern religions
    I've got de ja vu like a mofo over here.

I posted an entire thread about this but everyone must have missed it.

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    Yes, but probably not often. Can theists talk about the Higgs Boson? Of course, but probably not often.
    Yeah, you know its not really an embarrassment to theists that there's a so called "God particle", infact surely its good news, when are atheists going to find the "there's no God particle"?

Quote Originally Posted by Argus View Post
    I was having a good time reading through this thread until I realized Peguay is RETARDED and infected it with himself.
    I'm so glad that there's representative posters on the atheist side. I've only known one who wasnt an asshole and he was a dead philosopher psychologist influenced mainly by Judahism.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I'm so glad that there's representative posters on the atheist side. I've only known one who wasnt an asshole and he was a dead philosopher psychologist influenced mainly by Judahism.
    Argus isn't atheist.

In any case.....
    [youtube="8noUTKdCkE8"]duh....retarded[/youtube]
    Let's get retarded in here