User Tag List

First 8910

Thread: abortion

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by walking flour View Post
    I almost never actually reply to the topics that I spend forever reading, so I'll give my opinion..condensed.

The unborn child is inside of the mother and connected to the mother. The unborn child is part of the mother. It is the mother's choice to do as she wishes with her body. If she decides that the baby must come out, then that is her choice. If someone can keep the baby alive after it comes out of mom, then fine. As long as it is inside the mother and living off of her, then it is up to the mom to decide.

I do not know if I would get an abortion ever myself or not. I would defiantly do everything in my power to not become pregnant because having an abortion would still be a nasty thing. It could be damaging to me either way (to have the baby or not have the baby). It would depend on the circumstances. I would give it much thought before I did it. The thing that I must rely on is my own reasoning. I must be able to have control over my body and be able to do whatever my reasoning says that i should do. Any law that limits what I do to my own body (which includes the dependent, physically connected child) is wrong and I will not follow it.
    Our own bodies, when sick, can expel our babies. I mean, we don't die so that our little creations will live.

Obviously, there are many reasons why people don't kill. Other than that "love for life", it is very culture based. We need to get along. Most of us depend on other people (even now when we can hide out in our homes)...
    Pregnancy is a private matter and, certainly in these times, shouldn't have any laws attached to it.

I can see why people try to force laws regarding abortion into place, but these people are often somewhat hypocritical..not in the sense that they go against their own 'values', but that their values are rashly chosen and their thinking doesn't 'work' for more than just them. (Because not everyone can just pick up all of these values and call them truths.) Childbirth is a personal matter. There are so many other things people could focus on to help satisfy their need for moral purity.

And that is my opinion, somewhat. I may have overlooked several things but this is just my base and some flowers that have sprouted from it.

Edit: Ha! I just noticed this The thread is about abortion, and half of my name (the first part) comes from a song entitled "Of Walking Abortion". I don't know why that is so pleasing Maybe it unconsciously attracted me. I don't usually bother arguing these things...
    Manic Street Preachers, eh? Good stuff.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

I'm definitely pro-choice but people should use their right to choose very carefully.
    Abortion should not be one option for contraception.

I don't know if I would be able to have an abortion. After having three babies I know how featus already is a little human being already on pregnancy week 12 with their little heart beat and all. It terrifies to think what I would do in a situation where my baby would have been very sick and I would have had to decide on abortion. I'm very fortunate that I didn't have to make such a decision.

But I'm still very pro-choice.

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

I don't understand all this business about "life starts at conception"

For some reason I can't shake the notion that it never ended; how can you start something that's already going?
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Nocapszy View Post
    What's shocking about that?

(I'm not trying to start anything)
    The question posed was whether life could have value even if it didn't come across as sentient. Not whether life could have value even if it weren't sentient. The answer, a straight "No," puts a little too much confidence in a human's ability to recognize sentience for me to be comfortable with it. It seemed like major hubris to me.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Ah. How silly of me not to look for importance in the bold.

But then, now I wonder what constitutes "coming across as" though of course I'm sure everyone's response to that matter would degrade into shades-of-gray squabbling.

Just out of curiosity, why is this abortion thing such a big deal?

My guess is it's got a lot more to do with the popularity of the issue than the actual significance the decision has.

Sure, sure -- I have a real opinion on it too. "I'm not just in here arguing to argue. I want my voice heard"
    we fukin won boys