User Tag List

First 56789 Last

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    The simpler the religion, the less opportunity for flaw

This is what makes Jesus so compelling and attractive, even to non-Christians

"Treat others as you would wish to be treated"

It is so simple and easy to live by. You don't even need pages and pages of nonsense and hypocrisy

Look for ideas that you can accept and believe in
    Yes. Jesu was a hippy. Hippies are good, despite what republicans say.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

I do not believe in religion for a myriad of religions:

1. Once I was told Santa was not real, I began to extrapolate and I figured God was not real by extension.
    2. I could not accept the notion that God was "just there" for all eternity--what was the origin of God?
    3. Christianity specifically is very poor about answering why there is evil in the world and the necessity of it. I came to understand religion as a way for people to cope with death or with reality and the horrible depression it brings. I extrapolated this to extend to most, if not all religions.
    4. I have yet to encounter a religion that is both not contradictory or self-evidently true in its preaching.
    5. I have only met an extremely small amount of people who are both religious and open-minded or who don't try to fit the world into their religious paradigm. I think it should work the other way around.
    6. If there were/is a god, then I would assume that it holds no interest in humanity and that it is the personal savior of none. Religion would be irrelevant to such a being and to us by extension.

If a god does exist and is truly independent of our timeline, then the best analogy I can assume is that reality is like a simulation and that a god would be a programmer. Essentially, a programmer would be omnipotent and omniscient, but could a programmer deal with 7+ billion individuals on earth, let alone any other possible beings in the universe? It's possible, I suppose, but extremely unlikely. It would be like us playing The Sims, but instead of being in charge of one family or individual, it would be taking care of an entire simulated world.
    Ti = 19 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Te = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ne = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fi = 15 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Si = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ni = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Se = 11[][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fe = 0

-----------------
    Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
    Man got to sit and wonder why, why, why;
    Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
    Man got to tell himself he understand

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Did Victor do his whole Religion = Fascism thing again?

Sometimes I think if I hear that often enough I'm going to start and become interested in fascism.
    Perhaps you should for it was right wing catholics, backed by the Vatican, who formed the backbone of Fascism in Europe before WW II.

Catholics have not been able to apologise enough for this, but perhaps you would like to make a start.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Books and writing are one of the surer ways of transmitting knowledge and learning between generations and preserving it against corruption or degeneration.

We live in the age which suggests that coming up with ideas all by yourself and eschewing the past is a great idea, no problem with it, wont ever be as bad as what has gone by already right? Wrong. Its only a result that this principle, while popular, hasnt made serious inroads into social structures or institutions that there's not complete chaos already.

Although I'm sure that its resulted in a lot of criminality which could have been avoided if the moral relativism which reigns didnt.
    Written language is indeed one of the surer ways of transmitting knowledge, but the fidelity of the method is no substitute for the veracity or utility of the knowledge transmitted. In fact, the fidelity of the method can lead the reader to overvalue the content, or to consider it (sometimes literally) engraved in stone, refusing to update or reinterpret it as the years progress. This is ossification and willful ignorance.

By comparision, The Druids seemed to have a reasonably faithful and comrehensive oral tradition. I think the oral tradition would have permitted more flexibility over the years, while preserving the original messages. In any case, I derive far more spiritual inspiration from the works of God than the works of men.

The alternative to letting a book rule your life is not "coming up with ideas all by yourself and eschewing the past". There is far more to the past than the bible, and far more people to learn from and with than can be found in mainstream churches. Better to remain critically open to knowledge and inspiration wherever it is found, and to seek especially the common threads in our diverse human faiths. This will give us the best glimpse of the divine, though all the noise of our doctrines and sermons and books.

Finally, @Blank: God is real, just like Santa.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

@Coriolis

Sure. If by just like Santa you mean existing only in the minds of individuals.
    Fe = 0

-----------------

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Blank View Post
    @Coriolis

Sure. If by just like Santa you mean existing only in the minds of individuals.
    Just like beauty, humor, and love.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

If you were stranded on a road in the middle of nowhere and someone stopped to pick you up, would you prefer that person had a strong faith in God and believed in following high moral standards, or would you prefer that person believed that God was a myth, that morals were all relative and that there was no one to answer to for their behavior?

I ask this question because I am always amazed that people think that "religion" has brought more bad than good to the world.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w5

Religion is just too much for me to track, it's much easier to just not believe in special rituals, unseen mystical religion-based places nor higher powers. I'm much happier just following my own little moral code and doing what I think is best and hurts others the least. I can understand why some want more structure in their lives and something to believe in, but that's just not for me.

Not to mention I love to poke at things with a stick, if you poke religion with a stick people get angry on you.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by Lily flower View Post
    If you were stranded on a road in the middle of nowhere and someone stopped to pick you up, would you prefer that person had a strong faith in God and believed in following high moral standards, or would you prefer that person believed that God was a myth, that morals were all relative and that there was no one to answer to for their behavior?

I ask this question because I am always amazed that people think that "religion" has brought more bad than good to the world.
    Well, I think I may have a more enjoyable conversation with the latter. In my experience I've found a higher proportion of people who believed in moral relativism to be more courteous and consistent than those professing a strong faith in God. But really, what does one's religious orientation have to do with anything? It'd be like asking if you'd prefer to be picked up by a homosexual or a heterosexual.

Besides, those who believe that no one is accountable for their behavior are just as dangerous as religious zealots, if you want to swing the pendulum on the other extreme to balance out your scenario.

So, would I prefer to get picked up by a sociopath or Shirley Phelps? I'd go with the sociopath.
    Fe = 0

-----------------

Quote Originally Posted by Lily flower View Post

One of the few posts in this thread which isnt just depressing.