User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Ginkgo

So I'm one of those people who thinks that humans are inherently religious. If you don't believe me, you should get some followers, convince them of your ideals, and vie against me.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    My criticism isn't about Jesus, but then Jesus is not the bible. In fact, the bible does not even include all the information we have about Jesus. I would not claim all religions are unethical; perhaps not even that any religion was entirely unethical. I do say that any religion based upon blanket and uncritical adherance to a book (any book) will contain significant unethical elements, simply because the book has not yet been written, and will probably never be written, that is truly infallible.
    Books and writing are one of the surer ways of transmitting knowledge and learning between generations and preserving it against corruption or degeneration.

We live in the age which suggests that coming up with ideas all by yourself and eschewing the past is a great idea, no problem with it, wont ever be as bad as what has gone by already right? Wrong. Its only a result that this principle, while popular, hasnt made serious inroads into social structures or institutions that there's not complete chaos already.

Although I'm sure that its resulted in a lot of criminality which could have been avoided if the moral relativism which reigns didnt.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

sometimes I wish I had religion, religious people seem happier to me and it must be nice to have something bigger to rely on and believe in. but I just can't do it, I'd be lying to myself because I just see huge flaws in logic in all of them and it seems like a big joke. ignorance is bliss I guess.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=if-UzXIQ5vw"]I lost it[/YOUTUBE]
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

I’m not religious for a number of reasons.

I was brought up in a non-denominational Christian household. We moved around a lot when I was a kid, so I got to witness a lot of strange church things as we tried out new ones in new areas (strange things like “the spirit” knocking people over during worship, people speaking gibberish, raising of hands, etc). I was one of those annoying kids who always wanted to know why things happened, and the answer was always the same: “the spirit” would compel people to do them. I thought I was defective for a while, since “the spirit” never compelled me to do anything strange like that. I never really felt like I fit in at church and I didn’t really believe in the Bible, but the last straw was when there was an enormous church sex scandal involving the pastor and a lot of higher up people and I realized…people like this made this religion. People who can’t control themselves, people who are greedy, people who are violent, people who like power more than anything. PEOPLE wrote the book that everyone thinks is truth, not God. Why should I believe everything in that book?

Anyway, aside from that realization, there was always a lot of stuff that just doesn’t make sense about religion. For instance, why would any deity give people free choice, then penalize them for choosing the wrong thing? That’s like me asking you if you want pizza or salad for dinner, then telling you you’re WRONG and you get NOTHING TO EAT FOR THE REST OF ETERNITY if you happen to choose pizza over salad. Makes no sense to me.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying I think religion is all bad. It’s useful for keeping some people in line who otherwise may not be, and it makes a lot of people feel happy and secure, but I personally just don’t need it in my life. I’m way more happy and secure now than I ever was when I was practicing religion.

MBTI
    ISTx

Don't see any reason to believe in a God, and like Whatever said; if there is one out there, he's an asshole.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by swordpath View Post
    Don't see any reason to believe in a God, and like Whatever said; if there is one out there, he's an asshole.
    Yes. I've said this before, many, many times. An unfair, unreasonable, entitled asshole.
    ISTP 6w5 sx/sp
    6-8-4/6-9-4 Tritype

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Alright, just wasnt sure you thought you could make things up as you go along. I used to think that way too. It was called my adolescence.
    What does this mean

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by chana View Post
    sometimes I wish I had religion, religious people seem happier to me and it must be nice to have something bigger to rely on and believe in. but I just can't do it, I'd be lying to myself because I just see huge flaws in logic in all of them and it seems like a big joke. ignorance is bliss I guess.
    The simpler the religion, the less opportunity for flaw

This is what makes Jesus so compelling and attractive, even to non-Christians

"Treat others as you would wish to be treated"

It is so simple and easy to live by. You don't even need pages and pages of nonsense and hypocrisy

Look for ideas that you can accept and believe in

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

because two alter boys beat me up when I was 6