User Tag List

First 123412 Last

Quote Originally Posted by sleepy View Post
    I'm open to belief in public belief systems. But the common ones are typically constructed at a time where they thought the earth was flat. So to believe in one of these religions would be similar to a flat earther. I just can't find it in me to do either. Or why I should, what this could give me. My time is limited enough so I would like to spend it trying to figure out a life for myself. Not just read a book, and follow the recipe. It's boring.
    That's true, but I think the cosmology of these religions were an ongoing process to begin with. As were the religions in general. The Biblical world, for example, was borrowing Mesopotamian stories, which were simply taken for granted and unconsciously formed their worldview. You can't expect them to do much more than that. Or can you?

At the same time, they picked and chose what they wanted to from those stories. They themselves tried to redefine some things and evolve, little by little. Same goes even for their conception of God. Or even the afterlife (or lack thereof.. Judaism originally didn't have an afterlife.. it had the "grave" - Sheol). As for God, there wasn't really a tradition of "Yahweh" at first. It was just Elohim (God or Gods, in the generic sense.. as we use today). From Elohim, it evolved into a patriarchal kind of thing, where they started referencing this God as the "God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, Isaac, Jacob". Then the Levitic/Moses period started using a proper name. And even after that, the David period started centering the religion on the city and temple of Jerusalem specifically. And so on and so forth. Christianity is another extension and evolution of the region's history. Nothing is ever written in stone (of course, very few would agree with that now.. people are fixated on the "unalterable Word of God".. but religion itself has shown to be a living tradition. Not a written one).

edit: I don't mean to limit my example to just that religion. Buddhism could be used as an example that changes over time and according to region.

I got religion. To put it mildly.

Yup. Organised. Institutionalised. Orthodox. Old. Traditional. Every by word for plain wrong in the dictionary of this age which calls darkness light.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Riva View Post
    And that spirituality is your religion.

It's a tricky religion though.

Spirituality is based on moment to moment feelings.

Of course maybe we could be discussing different forms of spirituality .

That means my point of view on your spirituality being your religion could be wrong.
    My spirituality is based on far more than moment-to-moment anything, and far more than feelings. We may be discussing not only different forms of spirituality, but different definitions of the word itself. Similarly, I suspect we have different definitions of religion. Mine (and most standard dictionaries') includes belief in some supreme being. An atheist or even an agnostic would not then be said to have religion, though they can certainly have a moral code or even some form of spirituality.

I also see religion as an established set of beliefs, usually with some form of ritual or practice attending to it. It exists separate from me, whether I choose to be a follower or not. My own spirituality, however, is much more personal. While influenced by others, it is intimately tied to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Yup. Organised. Institutionalised. Orthodox. Old. Traditional. Every by word for plain wrong in the dictionary of this age which calls darkness light.
    The highlighted escapes me. I just know that darkness is as much a part of the creation as light, and just as essential for balance in the world.
    Last edited by Coriolis; 12-04-2011 at 09:04 PM. Reason: added word that was omitted
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

I don't have religion because I thought about it too much and it just didn't make sense to me.

So I guess I could say the only thing I have faith in is my ability to pick out what things seem to be TRUTHS and what things seem to be BULLSHITS. Because, who knows...I could be totally off-base with all of my "logical conclusions."

MBTI
    INTj

Because I don't need it.
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I don't have religion because I hate having to sit quietly and receptively in a building with people at strongly socially recommended, regular times. Even when I when I was trying out Buddhism, this is why I couldn't hang with the Zen group.

Senior Member captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp

I attend a Lutheran church on a regular basis, but almost completely for the social aspect. I don't believe in what Protestant Christianity stands for, for the most part.

MBTI
    INTP

Humanism is more than enough for me.

Senior Member captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp

I sometimes think it'd be nice to be religious just so I could have a set place where people with similar values congregate on a regular basis. That, and religious folks apparently live longer, happier lives. But I don't really have 'faith' in anything, let alone a 'God'.

Mass Religion and eTribal Spirituality

The word 'religion' comes from the Latin word 'religio' meaning to rebind or bind together. Take one stick and it is easily broken, but bind a bundle of sticks together into a Latin fasci, and they can't be broken. That is why the fasci, or the bound bundle of sticks, is the symbol of Fascism.

But under the influence of the electronic media, mass movements are over. Mass political Parties are over, mass broadcasting is over, and mass religions are over. And so even catholics don't go to Mass anymore.

Yes, the electronc global village consists of a multitude of electronic tribes, such as the one we belong to on Central.

Yes, mass religion has been replaced by the spirituality of discrete electronic tribes.

So religion has been replaced by spirituality.