• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What Separates Humans From Animals?

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
Or you could just admit that your statement was problematic.

Oh, Z, I don't need to. I didn't write it as a dissertation. It's just an opinion on a message board. If I just say that your reply was factually more complete than my post, can we leave it at that?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i was thinking the other day how odd we all are...walking about on this spinning planet in the sky...just strange animal creatures that put on pointy shoes and handbags and make appointments and eat lil sandwiches with fancy toothpicks and play with our lil machines and drive around and go to our offices...and all the other odd things we do....

i wonder if other animals think things like that..

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Oh, Z, I don't need to. I didn't write it as a dissertation. It's just an opinion on a message board. If I just say that your reply was factually more complete than my post, can we leave it at that?

That's fine, but this wasn't a competition, and that's not what I was going for. I was simply pointing out a factual inaccuracy that most people (unfortunately) aren't aware of that causes their thinking to be shallower and narrower than it could otherwise be (which is problematic). A weak understanding of evolution is what causes many people to live nihilistic lives.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
i was thinking the other day how odd we all are...walking about on this spinning planet in the sky...just strange animal creatures that put on pointy shoes and handbags and make appointments and eat lil sandwiches with fancy toothpicks and play with our lil machines and drive around and go to our offices...and all the other odd things we do....

i wonder if other animals think things like that..

Maybe you should write a children's book. That sounds like a good concept (end transmission from inner 6-year old)

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
That's fine, but this wasn't a competition.

I was simply pointing out a factual inaccuracy that most people (unfortunately) aren't aware of that causes their thinking to be shallower and narrower than it could otherwise be.

Then you'll be reasonably pleased/astonished/unmoved to note that I feel no sense of competition with you.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Actually the first question that should be answered is ''Why give animals rights''?
I can come up with a quite pragmatic answer to ''Why give people rights''. The social contract theory explains it well. But why give animals rights?
We just do it because we don't think it is appropriate to make them suffer when it can be avoided. At times, even if it makes things more expensive. Point is, there's no pragmatic reason to back it up. The chineses know it very well.

Edit: I'm not implying we should be 100% pragmatic. My post is meant to be neutral on moral aspects.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
From a human standpoint, humans are more valuable because I'm much more likely to understand them and get something out of them. Obviously I don't presume a tiger to value us quite the same way.

Is there an absolute way in which humans are better or more valuable than animals? Of course not.

xisnotx

Permabanned
Nothing seperates humans from animals since humans are animals.
If the question is what seperates one animal species from all the rest, i think the biological answer is that we can breed with each other.

freeeekyyy

Cheeseburgers
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Nothing seperates humans from animals since humans are animals.
If the question is what seperates one animal species from all the rest, i think the biological answer is that we can breed with each other.
I wasn't wondering about the technical differences, but why any of those matter; that is, why we consider ourselves superior to other animal species.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
If you're actually looking for an answer, as opposed to just wanting to express your beliefs, the reason is that our greater capacity for consciousness and reason, as mentioned by nebbykoo above, gives us the potential for moral perfectibility that is more-or-less absent in other creatures. As such, who we are and what we may become is under our control, in our own hands, and, as such, the greatness that we can achieve is higher than that of any animal. Whether we embrace our potential for growth is, in each individual case, uncertain, but the lone fact that we possess this control makes our destinies more interesting than that of other creatures. We are the only ones who choose our fate. If, like a child, you want to ask why that matters, I will only be able to offer you that it inherently does. If there were a God, and we were to actually have some degree of free will, the uncertainty of how we would respond to that freedom would make us more interesting to observe than the creatures that do not.

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
Humans are animals. I don't think we're particularly better or worse than anything else, just different. Although, I'll choose humans first because I am one. Belief in human superiority has it's good and bad points.

I suspect that if we discovered another living creature that possessed greater thinking/reasoning/feeling potential than we did we would still find some way to justify our feelings that we are the most important.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
egoism -> tribalism/racism -> speciesism -> animism -> ?

Mole

Permabanned
One Trillion Cells

Nothing separates us from animals. We are all related. We share the same genome from the smallest one celled animal to a multi-celled animal like an elephant.

And what a multi-celled animal we are. We don't just have one cell, we have one thousand million cells, all living together. Our complexity is extraordinary and almost beyond our imagination.

Little_Sticks

We have a greater awareness of the world that let's us evoke more change in it. Evolution just happens to favor this, although change can destroy a species as well, but in terms of potential, humans seem to have a lot more of it than any other animal on this planet (although elephants, dolphins, and some other animals are pretty capable of this). If you think about it, philosophy is the study of meta-cognition - that no other animal has shown the capability to analyze their actions themselves and change them is a pretty big intellectual leap in itself.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Nothing separates us from animals. We are all related. We share the same genome from the smallest one celled animal to a multi-celled animal like an elephant.

And what a multi-celled animal we are. We don't just have one cell, we have one thousand million cells, all living together. Our complexity is extraordinary and almost beyond our imagination.
Victor, is the elephant more complex than us? I mean, they probably have at least 20x more cells. :thinking:
I have my own ideas about this and my own reasons, but I want to know what you all think first.
What's your theory? Enlight us.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I know we think we're amazing and all.. and we're definitely unique. But, Douglas Adams has the right gist for me:

“Man has always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much...the wheel, New York, wars and so on...while all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man...for precisely the same reason.”

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I know we think we're amazing and all.. and we're definitely unique. But, Douglas Adams has the right gist for me:

“Man has always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much...the wheel, New York, wars and so on...while all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man...for precisely the same reason.”

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So nice you gotta mention it twice.