User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

If you're actually looking for an answer, as opposed to just wanting to express your beliefs, the reason is that our greater capacity for consciousness and reason, as mentioned by nebbykoo above, gives us the potential for moral perfectibility that is more-or-less absent in other creatures. As such, who we are and what we may become is under our control, in our own hands, and, as such, the greatness that we can achieve is higher than that of any animal. Whether we embrace our potential for growth is, in each individual case, uncertain, but the lone fact that we possess this control makes our destinies more interesting than that of other creatures. We are the only ones who choose our fate. If, like a child, you want to ask why that matters, I will only be able to offer you that it inherently does. If there were a God, and we were to actually have some degree of free will, the uncertainty of how we would respond to that freedom would make us more interesting to observe than the creatures that do not.

MBTI
    INTJ

Humans are animals. I don't think we're particularly better or worse than anything else, just different. Although, I'll choose humans first because I am one. Belief in human superiority has it's good and bad points.

I suspect that if we discovered another living creature that possessed greater thinking/reasoning/feeling potential than we did we would still find some way to justify our feelings that we are the most important.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

egoism -> tribalism/racism -> speciesism -> animism -> ?

One Trillion Cells

Nothing separates us from animals. We are all related. We share the same genome from the smallest one celled animal to a multi-celled animal like an elephant.

And what a multi-celled animal we are. We don't just have one cell, we have one thousand million cells, all living together. Our complexity is extraordinary and almost beyond our imagination.

We have a greater awareness of the world that let's us evoke more change in it. Evolution just happens to favor this, although change can destroy a species as well, but in terms of potential, humans seem to have a lot more of it than any other animal on this planet (although elephants, dolphins, and some other animals are pretty capable of this). If you think about it, philosophy is the study of meta-cognition - that no other animal has shown the capability to analyze their actions themselves and change them is a pretty big intellectual leap in itself.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Nothing separates us from animals. We are all related. We share the same genome from the smallest one celled animal to a multi-celled animal like an elephant.

And what a multi-celled animal we are. We don't just have one cell, we have one thousand million cells, all living together. Our complexity is extraordinary and almost beyond our imagination.
    Victor, is the elephant more complex than us? I mean, they probably have at least 20x more cells.
    Quote Originally Posted by freeeekyyy View Post
    I have my own ideas about this and my own reasons, but I want to know what you all think first.
    What's your theory? Enlight us.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I know we think we're amazing and all.. and we're definitely unique. But, Douglas Adams has the right gist for me:

“Man has always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much...the wheel, New York, wars and so on...while all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man...for precisely the same reason.”

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I know we think we're amazing and all.. and we're definitely unique. But, Douglas Adams has the right gist for me:

“Man has always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much...the wheel, New York, wars and so on...while all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man...for precisely the same reason.”

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

So nice you gotta mention it twice.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

FigerPuppet

I nearly threw up in my mouth when I saw the title of this thread.