User Tag List

First 12345 Last

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Or you could just admit that your statement was problematic.
    Oh, Z, I don't need to. I didn't write it as a dissertation. It's just an opinion on a message board. If I just say that your reply was factually more complete than my post, can we leave it at that?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

i was thinking the other day how odd we all are...walking about on this spinning planet in the sky...just strange animal creatures that put on pointy shoes and handbags and make appointments and eat lil sandwiches with fancy toothpicks and play with our lil machines and drive around and go to our offices...and all the other odd things we do....

i wonder if other animals think things like that..
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    Oh, Z, I don't need to. I didn't write it as a dissertation. It's just an opinion on a message board. If I just say that your reply was factually more complete than my post, can we leave it at that?
    That's fine, but this wasn't a competition, and that's not what I was going for. I was simply pointing out a factual inaccuracy that most people (unfortunately) aren't aware of that causes their thinking to be shallower and narrower than it could otherwise be (which is problematic). A weak understanding of evolution is what causes many people to live nihilistic lives.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    i was thinking the other day how odd we all are...walking about on this spinning planet in the sky...just strange animal creatures that put on pointy shoes and handbags and make appointments and eat lil sandwiches with fancy toothpicks and play with our lil machines and drive around and go to our offices...and all the other odd things we do....

i wonder if other animals think things like that..
    Maybe you should write a children's book. That sounds like a good concept (end transmission from inner 6-year old)

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    That's fine, but this wasn't a competition.

I was simply pointing out a factual inaccuracy that most people (unfortunately) aren't aware of that causes their thinking to be shallower and narrower than it could otherwise be.
    Then you'll be reasonably pleased/astonished/unmoved to note that I feel no sense of competition with you.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

:linedance:

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Actually the first question that should be answered is ''Why give animals rights''?
    I can come up with a quite pragmatic answer to ''Why give people rights''. The social contract theory explains it well. But why give animals rights?
    We just do it because we don't think it is appropriate to make them suffer when it can be avoided. At times, even if it makes things more expensive. Point is, there's no pragmatic reason to back it up. The chineses know it very well.

Edit: I'm not implying we should be 100% pragmatic. My post is meant to be neutral on moral aspects.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

From a human standpoint, humans are more valuable because I'm much more likely to understand them and get something out of them. Obviously I don't presume a tiger to value us quite the same way.

Is there an absolute way in which humans are better or more valuable than animals? Of course not.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Permabanned

Nothing seperates humans from animals since humans are animals.
    If the question is what seperates one animal species from all the rest, i think the biological answer is that we can breed with each other.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Quote Originally Posted by xisnotx View Post
    Nothing seperates humans from animals since humans are animals.
    If the question is what seperates one animal species from all the rest, i think the biological answer is that we can breed with each other.
    I wasn't wondering about the technical differences, but why any of those matter; that is, why we consider ourselves superior to other animal species.
    You lose.

_______

RCOEI
    Melancholic-Choleric
    Respectful Leader

Johari Window|Nohari Window