User Tag List

First 2101112

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

There are lots of things separating humans from animals for example humans have spindle cells in their brains unlike most other animals (though it is not an exclusive trait) larger density of neurons in the cerebral cortex, etc. I think humans are different, but I do think some animals in particular cetaceans, elephants, the great apes, and grey parrots should be afforded some degree of personhood
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

your resident asshole

It's commonly accepted that humans are different from/more valuable than other animals. But why is that? What is it about humanity that makes us any better or of any greater worth? Why do animals not have the same rights as people? I have my own ideas about this and my own reasons, but I want to know what you all think first. Are we better than animals, and if so, why?
    I wouldn't say that we are any better than other animals, but when you have the choice between saving a human and saving an animal, most people will pick the human (depending on the circumstances). We simply have a greater affinity for our own species. It doesn't make us any better than other animals, however.

As far as what separates us from other animals, you could list a number of things. It is generally thought that we are one of the most intelligent of the animals. The fact that we are able to make something as complicated as a computer says something about our species. But intelligence does not make anything superior to another.

We share about 99% of our DNA with chimpanzees.

And indeed we share 50% of our DNA with bananas.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    And indeed we share 50% of our DNA with bananas.
    That sheds some additional light on this already illuminating video:

WALMART

If you liken the brain to a police force,

A) Animal brains can only search three to five states at a time looking for a criminal

B) Human brains can search thirty-eight to forty-six states at any given time

It's why, even though some whales possess brains as massive as ours, they still do not operate at a human-like level. The same concept goes towards your PC. It is a close to single point operating system.

I had more, but now I've forgotten. BBL.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    That sheds some additional light on this already illuminating video:

Hahaha! I love the banana wanker guy.

"When you pull the top, it doesn't squirt in your face". Lol. That's what she said.

I don't know about the difference between humans and other animals, but this is a good demo of the difference between Americans and intelligent life forms.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

your resident asshole

Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    Hahaha! I love the banana wanker guy.

"When you pull the top, it doesn't squirt in your face". Lol. That's what she said.

I don't know about the difference between humans and other animals, but this is a good demo of the difference between Americans and intelligent life forms.
    Hey now! That video is hilarious, but it doesn't mean all Americans are stupid.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    Hey now! That video is hilarious, but it doesn't mean all Americans are stupid.
    Is there another nation on earth where it would be comprehensible as anything other than satire?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

your resident asshole

Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    Is there another nation on earth where it would be comprehensible as anything other than satire?
    Well I don't know, but there are certainly other countries with crazy religious people. The U.S. just seems to have more than the European countries is all this is.