• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is LOGIC the ultimate authority?

Spurgeon

MBTI Type
xNxx
Do you agree or disagree with the following statement?:

"Logic cannot be the ultimate authority.
If it were, we couldn't prove the laws of logic to be objectively authoritative in the first place, because we would have to assume they were authoritative in order to do so, which is circular reasoning."

I'm not sure whether I agree with it or not (or whether it even makes sense).

If possible, please explain the reasons for your position.

Last edited:

oneirocriticism

Permabanned
MBTI Type
heha
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp
Silly INTJ... feelings are obviously the ultimate authority then. I mean logic arouses from us perceiving something as being objective. So saying logic is the ultimate authority is like saying were all objects. Objections?

rav3n

Cannot resist...

Logic isn't the ultimate authority. If you view politicians in general, regardless of whether they're elected, put in by right of might or inherited, there's nothing logical about them or how they govern...

For that matter, there's nothing logical about laws, although application of interpretation of laws can be logical.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
No, logic is not the ultimate authority.

This is obvious.

I won't even go into the question of what the hell it means to be the "ultimate authority".

Samuel Beckett said it well enough:

The eighteenth century has been called the century of reason, la siècle de la raison. I've never understood that: they're all mad, ils sont tous fous, ils déraisonnent! They give reason a responsibility which it simply can't bear, it's too weak.

Einstein (an INTP), unlike most of his kin, managed to understand it:

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift.

David Hume got it (mostly) right too:

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office than to serve and obey them.

There are some qualifications I must add to Hume's claim, but, well, he's an ENTP, so you can't really expect him to get it just right.

Which begs the question: why the switch from ENTP to INTJ? An INTJ would never be foolish enough to ask this.

Spurgeon

MBTI Type
xNxx
By the way, I didn't actually say I agree with the statement in the OP. I simply asked whether people agree with it or not.

Maybe I should rephrase the question.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
From what I can see the OP was about logic while all the replies so far were about reason.

rav3n

From what I can see the OP was about logic while all the replies so far were about reason.
I'm just jacking around with a different perspective of the question itself. :tongue:

The question itself starts off with a subjective judgment that logic cannot be the ultimate authority. Sure, logic can be the ultimate authority if we subjectively believe it is the ultimate authority. We can also assign jack rabbits as the ultimate authorities if we subjectively wanted and believed.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
I've done a lot of research lately and have come to the conclusion that I'm INTJ rather than ENTP.

:rly???:

Why is it foolish to ask this question?

Because the answer is obvious.

I didn't say I agreed with the statement in the OP, by the way.

Well, if by "the statement in the OP" you are referring to the quotation you offered, doesn't it say that logic is not the ultimate authority.

So by saying that you "didn't say [you] agreed with [it]", are you implying that you might think logic is the ultimate authority?

I don't think that's what you were trying to say, btw, but it is a reasonable reading of your post.

Second question: if you don't think logic is the ultimate authority, then why ask the question?

Spurgeon

MBTI Type
xNxx
Well, Z did mention once that he liked you..

There must be a reason for that.

I could be wrong, but I don't think he said he liked me.

I believe he said he liked my style of argumentation.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
I could be wrong, but I don't think he said he liked me.

I believe he said he liked my style of argumentation.

I don't remember saying either of these things.

I did say something like it, though.

I may have been joking.

:tongue:

(Although, I don't think you're a bad guy.)

(That discussion a few weeks ago got out of hand, though.)

(I also called both of you my children: does that mean you're my children?)

Spurgeon

MBTI Type
xNxx

Because the answer is obvious.

Well, if by "the statement in the OP" you are referring to the quotation you offered, doesn't it say that logic is not the ultimate authority.

So by saying that you "didn't say [you] agreed with [it]", are you implying that you might think logic is the ultimate authority?

I don't think that's what you were trying to say, btw, but it is a reasonable reading of your post.

Second question: if you don't think logic is the ultimate authority, then why ask the question?

I think it's obvious that I'm simply asking whether people agree or disagree with it, and for their reasons.

Not sure why you're so concerned about whether I personally agree with it or not.

Frankly, I would rather not prejudice people's responses by stating my position at this time, if that's OK with you (sarcasm). ;)

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
I think it's obvious that I'm simply asking whether people agree or disagree with it, and for their reasons.

Not sure why you're so concerned about whether I personally agree with it or not.

Frankly, I would rather not prejudice people's responses by stating my position at this time, if that's OK with you (sarcasm). ;)

Usually people start threads with a purpose in mind.

If you're an INTJ, you most certainly do.

I remember you having strong religious sensibilities, and so I'm suspicious as to how this all fits together.

Add in the switch from INTJ to ENTP, and there's a whole lotta reason to have my suspicions.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
While his constant Ti bashing does get tiresome over time, I do share Zarathustra's suspicion that the ultimate purpose of this thread is proselytism.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
While his constant Ti bashing does get tiresom over time, I do share Zarathustra's suspicion that the ultimate purpose of this thread is proselytism.

:hug:

(I actually need some Ti doms for a project I'm starting, so I probably ought cool it on the Ti-illumination)