• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is LOGIC the ultimate authority?

jcloudz

Yup
MBTI Type
Istj
“The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift.”

Albert Einstein quotes

this sounds more like a Right Brain VS left brain...which is more important question

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think we should all recognize Zara is the smartest guy in the forum and close the thread. :bored:

jcloudz

Yup
MBTI Type
Istj

flying-cat-fight.jpg

:popc1:

S

SingSmileShine

Just look at my MBTI type. I hate logic. It's too dull and factual for my more abstract mind!

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Logic is the lance used in ego jousting.

Some people forgo the lance and attack with windmills in hand. I wonder which is more authorative.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Some people forgo the lance and attack with windmills in hand. I wonder which is more authorative.
The lance. But the windmill is often more entertaining.

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Do you agree or disagree with the following statement?:

"Logic cannot be the ultimate authority.
If it were, we couldn't prove the laws of logic to be objectively authoritative in the first place, because we would have to assume they were authoritative in order to do so, which is circular reasoning."

I'm not sure whether I agree with it or not (or whether it even makes sense).

If possible, please explain the reasons for your position.
I'm guessing this is the line of thinking of many religious folks that find no conflict between faith and science. *insert something about God as a necessary starting point in order for this to not be a circle, or something*

I honestly do not have an opinion on this.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I'm guessing this is the line of thinking of many religious folks that find no conflict between faith and science. *insert something about God as a necessary starting point in order for this to not be a circle, or something*

I honestly do not have an opinion on this.

Yea it is. My opinion is that some people manage to transfer their bad taste even onto their logic ;)

Zaid

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Logic isn't absolute when its paired with emotions. We rarely logically argue, even in science, our logic is built on a hope, a fallacy.

Logic is wonderful, but as creatures we aren't truly capable of being 100% logical.

Munchies

MBTI Type
XNXP
Enneagram
OMG
Instinctual Variant
sx
Do you agree or disagree with the following statement?:

"Logic cannot be the ultimate authority.
If it were, we couldn't prove the laws of logic to be objectively authoritative in the first place, because we would have to assume they were authoritative in order to do so, which is circular reasoning."

I'm not sure whether I agree with it or not (or whether it even makes sense).

If possible, please explain the reasons for your position.

yeh its circular meaning so the concept should be taken but the actual sentence structure itself reformed, its a real stupid question and answer.

The only thruth is subjectivity. Logic is subjective. The only objective thing about law is it's ambiguity. The ambiguity is always there it takes logic to pry it out, and is why a good lawyer can get you away with murder. A law is a law, but if you can manipulate ambiguity good enough, you are the law

Mole

Permabanned
Emotion and Logic

We believe in God for emotional reasons for logic tells us that we can neither prove nor disprove the existence of God.

Munchies

MBTI Type
XNXP
Enneagram
OMG
Instinctual Variant
sx
We believe in God for emotional reasons for logic tells us that we can neither prove nor disprove the existence of God.

how do you differentiate a feeling from a thought. Fear of god could make me confide in god for emotional reasons... but isnt there thought behind what made that fear a fear? ( or emotion, fear was just an example)

Emotions affect our logic, logic affects our emotion. Im not sure if there is a way to differentiate ( besides modern MBTI beleif)

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Logic is only as good as the assumptions on which it is based.