User Tag List

First 715161718 Last

Results 161 to 170 of 176

  1. #161
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,545
    Quote Originally Posted by Munchies View Post
    how do you differentiate a feeling from a thought. Fear of god could make me confide in god for emotional reasons... but isnt there thought behind what made that fear a fear? ( or emotion, fear was just an example)

    Emotions affect our logic, logic affects our emotion. Im not sure if there is a way to differentiate ( besides modern MBTI beleif)
    Unfortunately MBTI is a fraud and has no more truth value than astrology.

    But one way to see the distinction between thought and emotion is in pathology.

    For instance, the thoughts of schiziphrenics are are out of touch with reality, while their emotions remain in touch with reality.

    And in contradistinction, the emotions of the clinically depressed are out of touch with reality, while their thoughts remain in touch with reality.

  2. #162
    Ginkgo
    Guest

    Default

    Logic is only as good as the premises you take faith in and the premises you suspect to be true. Is logic an "authority"? It's really only an authority in being logic. Even though it's an intellectual faculty there's no need to make it more than it is.

  3. #163
    Senior Member wildcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,619

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spurgeon View Post
    Do you agree or disagree with the following statement?:

    "Logic cannot be the ultimate authority.
    If it were, we couldn't prove the laws of logic to be objectively authoritative in the first place, because we would have to assume they were authoritative in order to do so, which is circular reasoning."


    I'm not sure whether I agree with it or not (or whether it even makes sense).

    If possible, please explain the reasons for your position.
    Conclusion is based on logic.
    Judgement is not a conclusion.
    It is a decision.

  4. #164
    Senior Member You's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Posts
    2,137

    Default

    not to humans, because humans are irrational creatures.
    Oh, its
    You
    ....

  5. #165
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    STP
    Posts
    10,501

    Default

    Logic is logic. It is not thought nor feeling. Yes thoughts CAN be logical...but logic exists outside of thought. Once you build a "logical" curcuit it requires no human thought to operate. It becomes the ultimate authority. So lets pull it back further...does this circuitry exist without human interaction...does logic naturally occur or does it not exist until we put it into existance? What comes first the execution of logic or the creation of logic?
    Im out, its been fun

  6. #166
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    STP
    Posts
    10,501

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    not to humans, because humans are can be irrational creatures.
    fixed
    Im out, its been fun

  7. #167
    resonance entropie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    783
    Posts
    16,761

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by _Poki_ View Post
    Logic is logic. It is not thought nor feeling. Yes thoughts CAN be logical...but logic exists outside of thought. Once you build a "logical" curcuit it requires no human thought to operate. It becomes the ultimate authority. So lets pull it back further...does this circuitry exist without human interaction...does logic naturally occur or does it not exist until we put it into existance? What comes first the execution of logic or the creation of logic?
    Intresting thought. Since most of quantum physics and the string theories have proven to being quite illogical at times, I wouldnt even say logic is natural. Still its our way to trieing to explain the Universe and the question remains if the Universe would bend to logic at all or if maybe one day there will be a new concept and we'ld laugh at logic. Think about imaginary time. To being able to explain some things in space, one uses imaginary time so one can be correct. For example a black hole is a place where time has come to an end, but thats not true since the black hole can grow further. So only in the black hole time has come to an end. So if you were in a black hole time would be still going on for you, you'ld feel that way at least, while spacetime would have come to an end. No further movement. So theoretically you shouldnt be able to now whats time no more cause there is no more movement. But you do, cause you have been at a place before that had time. So you remember. That creates the question, how will certain places we are yet to explore influence our logic.

    My personal theory is that logic will come from true or false, first of all into a kind of vector thinking. Where you say, no matter where you go, in x, y, or z direction, the result will be the same, but you have all these options. So that only true and false evolves and gets more data to be filled with. Or spin, that you can say if a true ball revolves clockwise or counterclockwise. These are concrete logic examples for computers but since computers have influenced our way to think logically, why shouldnt they again ?

    This is intresting because only because it feels to us that there cant possibly anything better than logic doesnt mean there isnt. And its not only about feeling, in the logical realm the definitions are the problem. What is time, when time has come to an end ? What if the entropy was zero and everything was in order, does time still exist ?

    Given all that thoughts, assuming that anything could be a kind of ultimate authority would be foolish. Still if you like BDSM and love to be punished by an authority, you would have a problem.
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

  8. #168
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    STP
    Posts
    10,501

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    Intresting thought. Since most of quantum physics and the string theories have proven to being quite illogical at times, I wouldnt even say logic is natural. Still its our way to trieing to explain the Universe and the question remains if the Universe would bend to logic at all or if maybe one day there will be a new concept and we'ld laugh at logic. Think about imaginary time. To being able to explain some things in space, one uses imaginary time so one can be correct. For example a black hole is a place where time has come to an end, but thats not true since the black hole can grow further. So only in the black hole time has come to an end. So if you were in a black hole time would be still going on for you, you'ld feel that way at least, while spacetime would have come to an end. No further movement. So theoretically you shouldnt be able to now whats time no more cause there is no more movement. But you do, cause you have been at a place before that had time. So you remember. That creates the question, how will certain places we are yet to explore influence our logic.

    My personal theory is that logic will come from true or false, first of all into a kind of vector thinking. Where you say, no matter where you go, in x, y, or z direction, the result will be the same, but you have all these options. So that only true and false evolves and gets more data to be filled with. Or spin, that you can say if a true ball revolves clockwise or counterclockwise. These are concrete logic examples for computers but since computers have influenced our way to think logically, why shouldnt they again ?

    This is intresting because only because it feels to us that there cant possibly anything better than logic doesnt mean there isnt. And its not only about feeling, in the logical realm the definitions are the problem. What is time, when time has come to an end ? What if the entropy was zero and everything was in order, does time still exist ?

    Given all that thoughts, assuming that anything could be a kind of ultimate authority would be foolish. Still if you like BDSM and love to be punished by an authority, you would have a problem.
    I dont think the universe would bend to anything, but if the universe is logical it would not have to bend. Theories have holes...therfore the logic behind them is somewhat flawed. We are not talking an "authority figure", but the underlying concept so to say. When we find what is right, can there actually be a "better"? When you hit the "limit" or the universe, can "more right" be possible? At that point you have nothing to base "more" off of. So if Logic can define the entire universe how can you get better...all you can have is different. 2+4=6 and 1+2+3=6. Which one is better?
    Im out, its been fun

  9. #169
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    STP
    Posts
    10,501

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    Intresting thought. Since most of quantum physics and the string theories have proven to being quite illogical at times, I wouldnt even say logic is natural. Still its our way to trieing to explain the Universe and the question remains if the Universe would bend to logic at all or if maybe one day there will be a new concept and we'ld laugh at logic. Think about imaginary time. To being able to explain some things in space, one uses imaginary time so one can be correct. For example a black hole is a place where time has come to an end, but thats not true since the black hole can grow further. So only in the black hole time has come to an end. So if you were in a black hole time would be still going on for you, you'ld feel that way at least, while spacetime would have come to an end. No further movement. So theoretically you shouldnt be able to now whats time no more cause there is no more movement. But you do, cause you have been at a place before that had time. So you remember. That creates the question, how will certain places we are yet to explore influence our logic.

    My personal theory is that logic will come from true or false, first of all into a kind of vector thinking. Where you say, no matter where you go, in x, y, or z direction, the result will be the same, but you have all these options. So that only true and false evolves and gets more data to be filled with. Or spin, that you can say if a true ball revolves clockwise or counterclockwise. These are concrete logic examples for computers but since computers have influenced our way to think logically, why shouldnt they again ?

    This is intresting because only because it feels to us that there cant possibly anything better than logic doesnt mean there isnt. And its not only about feeling, in the logical realm the definitions are the problem. What is time, when time has come to an end ? What if the entropy was zero and everything was in order, does time still exist ?

    Given all that thoughts, assuming that anything could be a kind of ultimate authority would be foolish. Still if you like BDSM and love to be punished by an authority, you would have a problem.
    I dont think the universe would bend to anything, but if the universe is logical it would not have to bend. Theories have holes...therfore the logic behind them is somewhat flawed. We are not talking an "authority figure", but the underlying concept so to say. When we find what is right, can there actually be a "better"? When you hit the "limit" or the universe, can "more right" be possible? At that point you have nothing to base "more" off of. So if Logic can define the entire universe how can you get better...all you can have is different. 2+4=6 and 1+2+3=6. Which one is better?
    Im out, its been fun

  10. #170
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    STP
    Posts
    10,501

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    Intresting thought. Since most of quantum physics and the string theories have proven to being quite illogical at times, I wouldnt even say logic is natural. Still its our way to trieing to explain the Universe and the question remains if the Universe would bend to logic at all or if maybe one day there will be a new concept and we'ld laugh at logic. Think about imaginary time. To being able to explain some things in space, one uses imaginary time so one can be correct. For example a black hole is a place where time has come to an end, but thats not true since the black hole can grow further. So only in the black hole time has come to an end. So if you were in a black hole time would be still going on for you, you'ld feel that way at least, while spacetime would have come to an end. No further movement. So theoretically you shouldnt be able to now whats time no more cause there is no more movement. But you do, cause you have been at a place before that had time. So you remember. That creates the question, how will certain places we are yet to explore influence our logic.

    My personal theory is that logic will come from true or false, first of all into a kind of vector thinking. Where you say, no matter where you go, in x, y, or z direction, the result will be the same, but you have all these options. So that only true and false evolves and gets more data to be filled with. Or spin, that you can say if a true ball revolves clockwise or counterclockwise. These are concrete logic examples for computers but since computers have influenced our way to think logically, why shouldnt they again ?

    This is intresting because only because it feels to us that there cant possibly anything better than logic doesnt mean there isnt. And its not only about feeling, in the logical realm the definitions are the problem. What is time, when time has come to an end ? What if the entropy was zero and everything was in order, does time still exist ?

    Given all that thoughts, assuming that anything could be a kind of ultimate authority would be foolish. Still if you like BDSM and love to be punished by an authority, you would have a problem.
    I dont think the universe would bend to anything, but if the universe is logical it would not have to bend. Theories have holes...therfore the logic behind them is somewhat flawed. We are not talking an "authority figure", but the underlying concept so to say. When we find what is right, can there actually be a "better"? When you hit the "limit" or the universe, can "more right" be possible? At that point you have nothing to base "more" off of. So if Logic can define the entire universe how can you get better...all you can have is different. 2+4=6 and 1+2+3=6. Which one is better? Its not until you bring in more requirements does something become "more right" if previously all requirements were met.
    Im out, its been fun

Similar Threads

  1. [ISTJ] Why Charles Augustus Magnussen is the ultimate ISTJ gone crazy ?!
    By Probabilist in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-01-2016, 02:16 PM
  2. Which Enneagram Type is the Ultimate Diva?
    By Elfboy in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-19-2014, 12:18 AM
  3. Logic: The ultimate fun killer
    By Virtual ghost in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 01-17-2009, 01:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO