User Tag List

First 910111213 Last

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    Hm cool I did not know that.

Well never say never maybe one day ..
    Heh.. yeah, maybe. I'm just pointing it out. I'm not exactly religious myself (probably am more than you though).

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

yea religion is not such a big topic at my place. I was raised to being a defiant or sceptic. but i have learnt as well that the most important lesson to being a sceptic is not thinking one was always right
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

yea religion is not such a big topic at my place. I was raised to being a defiant or sceptic. but i have learnt as well that the most important lesson to being a sceptic is not thinking one was always right
    I wasn't raised as anything. Not even skeptic. I was just flat out careless. I once even stole cake from a nun's bake sale. Not as anything personal. I just did it. Even the hardcore gangster kids thought that was taboo. It's complicated how I even came to respect some of religion eventually.

From the Undertow CuriousFeeling's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII

Even though from a scientific background, I embrace logic, I still don't think it is the ultimate authority. There are times where even logic can be faulty. No mindframe that we use to understand the world is infallible. A union of mindframes can be considered the ultimate authority, calling upon the strengths of logic, reason, intuition, empathy, empirical thought, and have them join forces with each other. Why limit the mind to a one way street when you can use it to its full potential?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Johari/Nohari

“Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings -- always darker, emptier and simpler.”
    ― Friedrich Nietzsche

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I'm still trying to parse the question. To me the question can be restated as: 1. Can the existence of anything of importance be deduced as predictable result of a prior event? 2. Are we capable of understanding everything that happens between cause and effect?

I'm going to say 1. Probably 2. Probably not.

MBTI
    xNxx

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    Who's to say God doesn't appreciate Logic anyways? It seems logical that God would.. or even set the rules for it. Being creator of the universe, it would entail more than just the creation of the material manifestation of the universe - but laws themselves. Even specifically in Christianity, the "incarnate Word" that is Jesus, is called the Logos. Logos was a carryover term from various Greek philosophers (but specifically neoplatonism). The concept of the Logos was instrinically tied with Logic. Christians, like the Apostle Paul or John, were versed in these concepts. Paul specifically was a Hellenistic Jew, and could display his own sophistry with the best of them.

Fast forward 2000 years and every Church of Fred wants to make it out like God and Logic are some kind of seperate thing.

Anyways, this is all assuming there is a God, of course (lets not debate that for now... and for the billionth time /snore).

Nice post. Couldn't agree more.

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    I'd blame the killing because of religion mostly on humans.

As for the rest, maybe there is a logic to those disasters and diseases. There's even worse things in the universe besides that. Think of a gamma ray burst, that could have or might have already completely killed off entire civilized systems in a blink of an eye. Destruction at it's most frightening and seemingly senseless level. But maybe there's a reason. The universe is a big place, and some actions might take priority because it's ultimately beneficial (but only a God would know if it was of any benefit).

And if we don't want to believe a God is orchestrating all of this for some logical reason, then we must believe in Chaos. In which case, Chaos is the highest authority. I dare anyone to actually embrace that though.

REALLY excellent post. Bravo!

I'm defiant and skeptical of atheism.

At the minute I think that the authority in the world is money.

MBTI
    xNxx

Quote Originally Posted by CuriousFeeling View Post
    Even though from a scientific background, I embrace logic, I still don't think it is the ultimate authority. There are times where even logic can be faulty. No mindframe that we use to understand the world is infallible. A union of mindframes can be considered the ultimate authority, calling upon the strengths of logic, reason, intuition, empathy, empirical thought, and have them join forces with each other. Why limit the mind to a one way street when you can use it to its full potential?
    More excellent posts!

Thank you guys. You just made my day.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Te

You lose.

_______

RCOEI
    Melancholic-Choleric