User Tag List

First 1234 Last

figsfiggyfigs

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    being the type who is easily amused by most things, I probably fall into one of the lower common denominators camp... gotta love pawn stars, storage wars, parking wars and any food network competition that ever has existed... not to mention the try out rounds for american idol I always want to slap the idiots on things like the real world, jersey shore and big brother- they are just so DRAMATIC about everything!
    Amen for crappy tv shows!

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by YWIR View Post
    Amen for crappy tv shows!
    to paternity tests and baby mamas!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Slumming

It wasn't so long ago that the working class imitated the middle class, and the middle class imitated the upper class. But things have changed and it has become chic to imitate the working class.

This gives a frisson to the upper and middle classes, and appeals to their vanity. But really it is just reverse snobbery and and another form of slumming.

MBTI
    IsFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    It might be more of a greatest common factor. Each person, individually, might prefer something different, something better, something . . . else. Programming must attract a large audience to make money, however, which means it must appeal to large groups of people. Being overspecialized, or having content rich in a particular area, might have too narrow an appeal. Producers then make something most people are willing to watch, though it may be no one's first choice.
    So the reasoning is: thousands of "Meh."s > a few "Oooo!"s?

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    If there were no worthless programs, people would watch better ones. They do what they do because they have learned it over time, but they could just as well have learned other watching patterns to which other programs would be better suited. There is simply no necessity to any of the programs now running.

I believe it is possible to have multi-layered productions that can be enjoyed on different levels, like a Mozart piece. Even good lowbrow shows are possible.
    What you're saying, then, is that "There's nothing better to watch currently, so they/we make do with what's there" - is that correct?
    Tentative typing: ISFJ 6w5 or 9w1 (Sp/S[?]).

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

being the type who is easily amused by most things, I probably fall into one of the lower common denominators camp... gotta love pawn stars, storage wars, parking wars and any food network competition that ever has existed... not to mention the try out rounds for american idol I always want to slap the idiots on things like the real world, jersey shore and big brother- they are just so DRAMATIC about everything!

I also always enjoyed beer and bacon cheeseburgers, love baseball, have attended a few indy car races and actually cared who won and am mesmerized by the paternity tests on maury
    I'm pretty easily amused too. I'm sure some of the things I like fall into the 'lowest common denominator' category. Then I again I like some highbrow intellectual stuff too. I don't fit into one neat category. I like what I like and don't want to be judged for it.

I have intellectual interests but don't wan't to be intellectual all the time. Sometimes I just want to relax and put my brain to rest and watch a stupid sitcom. I don't think this is a bad thing.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    I'm pretty easily amused too. I'm sure some of the things I like fall into the 'lowest common denominator' category. Then I again I like some highbrow intellectual stuff too. I don't fit into one neat category. I like what I like and don't want to be judged for it.

I have intellectual interests but don't wan't to be intellectual all the time. Sometimes I just want to relax and put my brain to rest and watch a stupid sitcom. I don't think this is a bad thing.
    I'm rather well read and know my wine and art as well- it just doesn't pay to show that off in mixed company nearly as well as having an idea of who did what on whichever show

plus, it's brain candy, like you said!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Viridian View Post
    So the reasoning is: thousands of "Meh."s > a few "Oooo!"s?
    Yes. But most importantly, very little outrage/WTF's?

Quote Originally Posted by Viridian View Post
    What you're saying, then, is that "There's nothing better to watch currently, so they/we make do with what's there" - is that correct?
    Nicodemus is correct here, to a point. Some of us just don't watch, and find something more productive and entertaining to do with our time (like make fun of the TV-viewing sheep on online forums).

I'm rather well read and know my wine and art as well- it just doesn't pay to show that off in mixed company nearly as well as having an idea of who did what on whichever show
    So, just what are the wages of staying current in contemporary TV drivel?
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    So, just what are the wages of staying current in contemporary TV drivel?
    it pays my wages... if I couldn't identify with everyone I would be screwed!

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

it pays my wages... if I couldn't identify with everyone I would be screwed!
    Perhaps I should feel lucky that I don't need to worry about such things at work.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

If not for my son and DVD movies, my TV would be used on average for around 4 hours a month. Too much garbage to sift through to bother most of the time. I watch documentaries, some sports, some news and some political satires.

TV is numbing.