• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Unitarian Jihad

R

RDF

Just for laughs, here's an oldie-but-goodie. It's a satirical column from a couple years ago on what would happen if the New-Agey, all-inclusive, ultra-moderate Unitarian Universalist church were to launch a jihad.

JON CARROLL

The satire is partly at the expense of the UUs, of course; but it's also aimed at the fundies/zealots of all religions who take extremist positions and crusade against/on behalf of any number of causes.

Possible future development/tangents for this thread: the UU church, jihads, fundamentalism, zealotry, extremism. For those not familiar with the UU church: Unitarian Universalism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(Disclaimer: I'm not a member of the UU church.)

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
My UU mother-in-law sent this one awhile back. Definitely worth a read. :)

R

RDF

My UU mother-in-law sent this one awhile back. Definitely worth a read. :)

Yeah, it has been floating around for a while and has even spawned follow-up "communiques" on the Net and within the UU church itself.

Like I said, just an oldie-but-goodie.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Have you ever been to a UU church? They really are remarkably all-inclusive. Even I find them wishy-washy and I founded the Church of Wishy-Washy.

R

RDF

Have you ever been to a UU church? They really are remarkably all-inclusive. Even I find them wishy-washy and I founded the Church of Wishy-Washy.

Unfortunately, no. I should track one down and attend a meeting, even if it's only just to say that I've done it. The DC area is rife with ecumenical groups like that, so it shouldn't be hard to find.

OTOH, my wife is kind of picky about her religion, and I don't want to cross any lines there. I believe that she checked out a UU group in the past but found it too wishy-washy for her own purposes.

R

RDF

Probably the best paragraph in the column, in my opinion:

We are Unitarian Jihad, and our motto is: "Sincerity is not enough." We have heard from enough sincere people to last a lifetime already. Just because you believe it's true doesn't make it true. Just because your motives are pure doesn't mean you are not doing harm. Get a dog, or comfort someone in a nursing home, or just feed the birds in the park. Play basketball. Lighten up. The world is not out to get you, except in the sense that the world is out to get everyone.

:party2: