• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What's the worth of a person?

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm an realistic idealist (or an optimistic nihilist, what ever). In my mind everyone holds an equal value, but realistically, I love some people more and they are my life's breath, and other people are just consuming resources that could be better spent on other people that aren't human parasites.
I tend to assume you are worthy, until you prove otherwise. Life has taught me I'm insanely optimistic by going down this route.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I dont think its possible to measure worth of people in general. You can only say what someone is worth to a business, another human and other external standards(to the people other than the person whos worth is being measured).

Now ofc someone might be able to give some comparison between what he is worth and someone else. Like someones kid might be worth to someone more than worth of his own. So he might sacrifice his life to save his kids life. But then there comes another problem. You cant give numerical value of the kid to his dad(or mom), so even tho you could see that his kid is worth more to the dad than his own life, it doesent tell you much of anything.

Only thing that matters is that everyones life is worth so much that they cant be compared. Even people like hitler are worth much, even tho he was one of the most evil persons there has ever been, but todays world wouldnt be the same place than it is today. You probably wouldnt be born or would be different person who you arent now. There would be more population on earth, which might be a really big problem today or could had become big problem faster(even near future).

Eruca

78% me
MBTI Type
INxx
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Some good answers in this thread.

YWIR and rasofy seem to have the right of it to me.

ColonelGadaafi

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
Si
sorry, because reality is percieved inductively... there is no such thing as objective reality. Just consistency and integrity of property of something. I mean how the fuck do you begin to seperate invidualism from objective reality?. It's like saying there is a god, but we have no way of proving him. If anything objective reality= Reality relative to huiman comprehension using statistical integrity. There is no serious school of philosphy that accepts "objective" reality. Ayn rand doesn't count between. What we percieve as reality constitutes the relationship between mind and external stimuli. And both concepts are dependent on each other. So i call bullshit on people who want to claim objective reality... when reality is conditional and what they call objectivity is statistically consistent.. and nothing more and are therefore usefull data to human beings. Everything... and everything requires requires a subjective process.

Edit:
To answer the TS: It depends on how you measure "value". And how you compare human qualities depending on that value. So i largely agree with YWIR and what has already been said. Since human value is an evaluation worth, it will be relative to whatever ideals are presently held by human groups. But i also agree with the idea that viewing all human life as equal can be usefull in maintaining society and hindering elitist philosphies from dominating, which have in the past caused injustices.