User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What's the worth of a person?

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    on a galactic scale: A bit less than abolute nothing.
    Made in God's image.

lab rat extraordinaire Array CrystalViolet's Avatar
    5w4 sx/sp

I'm an realistic idealist (or an optimistic nihilist, what ever). In my mind everyone holds an equal value, but realistically, I love some people more and they are my life's breath, and other people are just consuming resources that could be better spent on other people that aren't human parasites.
    I tend to assume you are worthy, until you prove otherwise. Life has taught me I'm insanely optimistic by going down this route.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

5w4 sx

I dont think its possible to measure worth of people in general. You can only say what someone is worth to a business, another human and other external standards(to the people other than the person whos worth is being measured).

Now ofc someone might be able to give some comparison between what he is worth and someone else. Like someones kid might be worth to someone more than worth of his own. So he might sacrifice his life to save his kids life. But then there comes another problem. You cant give numerical value of the kid to his dad(or mom), so even tho you could see that his kid is worth more to the dad than his own life, it doesent tell you much of anything.

Only thing that matters is that everyones life is worth so much that they cant be compared. Even people like hitler are worth much, even tho he was one of the most evil persons there has ever been, but todays world wouldnt be the same place than it is today. You probably wouldnt be born or would be different person who you arent now. There would be more population on earth, which might be a really big problem today or could had become big problem faster(even near future).
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

5w4 sx/sp

Some good answers in this thread.

YWIR and rasofy seem to have the right of it to me.

Senior Member Array ColonelGadaafi's Avatar

sorry, because reality is percieved inductively... there is no such thing as objective reality. Just consistency and integrity of property of something. I mean how the fuck do you begin to seperate invidualism from objective reality?. It's like saying there is a god, but we have no way of proving him. If anything objective reality= Reality relative to huiman comprehension using statistical integrity. There is no serious school of philosphy that accepts "objective" reality. Ayn rand doesn't count between. What we percieve as reality constitutes the relationship between mind and external stimuli. And both concepts are dependent on each other. So i call bullshit on people who want to claim objective reality... when reality is conditional and what they call objectivity is statistically consistent.. and nothing more and are therefore usefull data to human beings. Everything... and everything requires requires a subjective process.

To answer the TS: It depends on how you measure "value". And how you compare human qualities depending on that value. So i largely agree with YWIR and what has already been said. Since human value is an evaluation worth, it will be relative to whatever ideals are presently held by human groups. But i also agree with the idea that viewing all human life as equal can be usefull in maintaining society and hindering elitist philosphies from dominating, which have in the past caused injustices.
    "Where can you flee? What road will you use to escape us? Our horses are swift, our arrows sharp, our swords like thunderbolts, our hearts as hard as the mountains, our soldiers as numerous as the sand. Fortresses will not detain us, nor arms stop us. Your prayers to God will not avail against us. We are not moved by tears nor touched by lamentations."