User Tag List

12 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 13

  1. #1

    Default A TypoC guide to philosophy for intelligent people?

    I was interested in philosophy in my younger days, but I focused mostly on epistemology, logic, and the philosophy of science.

    I find myself craving knowledge that is deep and profound. I have found some deep insights from logic, mathematics, and physics...and continue to be puzzled by some deep mysteries in biology and physics.

    However, I found I liked the "flavor" of philosophical insights, and sometimes that flavor is what I crave.

    Can anyone guide me to some places where I can get these cravings fulfilled?

    Note: I am a slow reader, and I have little patience for wading through fluff and B.S. to find the little nuggets of truth.

    Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

  2. #2
    Senior Member giegs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    102

    Default

    Study ecology.

  3. #3

    Default

    Could you be more specific?

    Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

  4. #4
    pathwise dependent FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj
    Posts
    5,908

    Default

    I assume you have read Wittgenstein, right? (Philosophical Investigations moreso than Tractatus)
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

  5. #5

    Default

    I have read of and about Wittgenstein, but did not read his works directly.

    Like I said, I read slowly. Wittgenstein was characterized as someone obsessed with language and its limitations, and I had already read Chomsky by then, so it seemed like reading Wittgenstein would be more of a history lesson.

    I suppose reading him may be interesting, and their philosophies may be quite different. But I rarely pay attention to the conclusions philosophers come to. I like the questions they bring up, and the concepts they create.

    When it comes to language, the concepts presented in this short piece seems to me the peek of sophistication for a layperson. Also, it is "modern" and most importantly compact and to the point.

    Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

  6. #6
    Senior Member Spurgeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    MBTI
    xNxx
    Posts
    239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    I was interested in philosophy in my younger days, but I focused mostly on epistemology, logic, and the philosophy of science.

    I find myself craving knowledge that is deep and profound. I have found some deep insights from logic, mathematics, and physics...and continue to be puzzled by some deep mysteries in biology and physics.

    However, I found I liked the "flavor" of philosophical insights, and sometimes that flavor is what I crave.

    Can anyone guide me to some places where I can get these cravings fulfilled?

    Note: I am a slow reader, and I have little patience for wading through fluff and B.S. to find the little nuggets of truth.
    I know what you mean, Ygolo.

    Have you read any of the books from the "......For Beginners" or "Introducing......" series?

    In case you don't know what I'm talking about, here are some examples:




    These books are great for getting the flavor of different ideas, philosophies,etc. without having to wade through endless fluff and B.S.
    They're really concise, and their effective and clever use humor and cartoons is an added bonus!

    Oh--and they're really affordable. (On average, about $10-15 new, and $4-5 used on Amazon.com)

    Most of em are on Amazon, and if you're interested, here are some links to the publishers' websites:
    http://www.forbeginnersbooks.com/
    http://www.introducingbooks.com/

    Hope that helps!

  7. #7
    Sniffles
    Guest

  8. #8
    Senior Member Gish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    STUF
    Posts
    891

    Default

    I don't know how well you deal with the Chinese poetic essay style, but Zhuangzhi is a pretty interesting read.

    On second thought, that is good ideas hidden in fluff and BS so you probably wouldn't like it.
    Whoops.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spurgeon View Post
    I know what you mean, Ygolo.

    Have you read any of the books from the "......For Beginners" or "Introducing......" series?

    In case you don't know what I'm talking about, here are some examples:




    These books are great for getting the flavor of different ideas, philosophies,etc. without having to wade through endless fluff and B.S.
    They're really concise, and their effective and clever use humor and cartoons is an added bonus!

    Oh--and they're really affordable. (On average, about $10-15 new, and $4-5 used on Amazon.com)

    Most of em are on Amazon, and if you're interested, here are some links to the publishers' websites:
    http://www.forbeginnersbooks.com/
    http://www.introducingbooks.com/

    Hope that helps!
    I have some of the "introducing" series. I was aware of the others too. Thanks. Any one in particular, you enjoyed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Thanks. I'll see how much of this I can get to.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gish View Post
    I don't know how well you deal with the Chinese poetic essay style, but Zhuangzhi is a pretty interesting read.

    On second thought, that is good ideas hidden in fluff and BS so you probably wouldn't like it.
    Hehe. I'll keep it in mind still.

    Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

  10. #10
    Senior Member Spurgeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    MBTI
    xNxx
    Posts
    239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    I have some of the "introducing" series. I was aware of the others too. Thanks. Any one in particular, you enjoyed?
    I especially liked Introducing Psychoanalysis, Nietzsche for Beginners, Kierkegaard for Beginners, and Deconstruction for Beginners.

Similar Threads

  1. Why are people afraid to ask for things?
    By prplchknz in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 75
    Last Post: 04-16-2014, 08:58 AM
  2. personality type that needs people to be able to care for?
    By jcloudz in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-23-2012, 01:11 PM
  3. Is it wrong for other people to express opinions on the internet...
    By phobik in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 07-17-2011, 10:17 PM
  4. The How To Guide To Freaking People Out:
    By ThatGirl in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 106
    Last Post: 07-14-2010, 08:11 PM
  5. Tipps&Tricks for Intuitive People to learn better/ faster details?
    By Lexlike in forum Academics and Careers
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-27-2008, 06:53 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO