User Tag List

12 Last

Default A TypoC guide to philosophy for intelligent people?

I was interested in philosophy in my younger days, but I focused mostly on epistemology, logic, and the philosophy of science.

I find myself craving knowledge that is deep and profound. I have found some deep insights from logic, mathematics, and physics...and continue to be puzzled by some deep mysteries in biology and physics.

However, I found I liked the "flavor" of philosophical insights, and sometimes that flavor is what I crave.

Can anyone guide me to some places where I can get these cravings fulfilled?

Note: I am a slow reader, and I have little patience for wading through fluff and B.S. to find the little nuggets of truth.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INTP

Study ecology.

Could you be more specific?

Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

I assume you have read Wittgenstein, right? (Philosophical Investigations moreso than Tractatus)
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

I have read of and about Wittgenstein, but did not read his works directly.

Like I said, I read slowly. Wittgenstein was characterized as someone obsessed with language and its limitations, and I had already read Chomsky by then, so it seemed like reading Wittgenstein would be more of a history lesson.

I suppose reading him may be interesting, and their philosophies may be quite different. But I rarely pay attention to the conclusions philosophers come to. I like the questions they bring up, and the concepts they create.

When it comes to language, the concepts presented in this short piece seems to me the peek of sophistication for a layperson. Also, it is "modern" and most importantly compact and to the point.

Robot Fusion

MBTI
    xNxx

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    I was interested in philosophy in my younger days, but I focused mostly on epistemology, logic, and the philosophy of science.

I find myself craving knowledge that is deep and profound. I have found some deep insights from logic, mathematics, and physics...and continue to be puzzled by some deep mysteries in biology and physics.

However, I found I liked the "flavor" of philosophical insights, and sometimes that flavor is what I crave.

Can anyone guide me to some places where I can get these cravings fulfilled?

Note: I am a slow reader, and I have little patience for wading through fluff and B.S. to find the little nuggets of truth.
    I know what you mean, Ygolo.

Have you read any of the books from the "......For Beginners" or "Introducing......" series?

In case you don't know what I'm talking about, here are some examples:

These books are great for getting the flavor of different ideas, philosophies,etc. without having to wade through endless fluff and B.S.
    They're really concise, and their effective and clever use humor and cartoons is an added bonus!

Oh--and they're really affordable. (On average, about $10-15 new, and $4-5 used on Amazon.com)

Most of em are on Amazon, and if you're interested, here are some links to the publishers' websites:
    http://www.forbeginnersbooks.com/
    http://www.introducingbooks.com/

Hope that helps!

Sniffles

MBTI
    STUF

I don't know how well you deal with the Chinese poetic essay style, but Zhuangzhi is a pretty interesting read.

On second thought, that is good ideas hidden in fluff and BS so you probably wouldn't like it.
    Whoops.

Quote Originally Posted by Spurgeon View Post
    I know what you mean, Ygolo.

Have you read any of the books from the "......For Beginners" or "Introducing......" series?

In case you don't know what I'm talking about, here are some examples:

These books are great for getting the flavor of different ideas, philosophies,etc. without having to wade through endless fluff and B.S.
    They're really concise, and their effective and clever use humor and cartoons is an added bonus!

Oh--and they're really affordable. (On average, about $10-15 new, and $4-5 used on Amazon.com)

Most of em are on Amazon, and if you're interested, here are some links to the publishers' websites:
    http://www.forbeginnersbooks.com/
    http://www.introducingbooks.com/

Hope that helps!
    I have some of the "introducing" series. I was aware of the others too. Thanks. Any one in particular, you enjoyed?

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Thanks. I'll see how much of this I can get to.

Quote Originally Posted by Gish View Post
    I don't know how well you deal with the Chinese poetic essay style, but Zhuangzhi is a pretty interesting read.

On second thought, that is good ideas hidden in fluff and BS so you probably wouldn't like it.
    Hehe. I'll keep it in mind still.

Robot Fusion

MBTI
    xNxx

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    I have some of the "introducing" series. I was aware of the others too. Thanks. Any one in particular, you enjoyed?
    I especially liked Introducing Psychoanalysis, Nietzsche for Beginners, Kierkegaard for Beginners, and Deconstruction for Beginners.