• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Waterboarding

F

figsfiggyfigs

What do you think of the effectiveness of Waterboarding? Do you think it is a viable means of obtaining information? Where does it fit in your moral compass? Do you think this form of torture should continue to exist? Is it justifiable?

For those who do not know what water boarding is. Here is a link.

Waterboarding is a form of torture in which water is poured over the face of an immobilized captive, thus causing the individual to experience the sensation of drowning. The captive's face is usually covered with cloth or some other thin material, and the subject is immobilized on his/her back. Water is then poured onto the face over the breathing passages, causing an almost immediate gag reflex and creating the sensation that the captive is drowning. Waterboarding can cause extreme pain, dry drowning, damage to lungs, brain damage from oxygen deprivation, other physical injuries including broken bones due to struggling against restraints, lasting psychological damage and death.[4] Adverse physical consequences can manifest themselves months after the event, while psychological effects can last for years.

Mods: Move to appropriate section if this is not fitting here.

Gish

Which side are you on?
MBTI Type
PTSD
Torture doesn't work, people just give false answers to get out of it if they don't actually have the answer. I guess it gives the participating parties a reason to continue their offensive if they're always on a wild goose chase though.

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
So many experts have claimed waterboarding is inefficient, including members of the FBI and CIA that it seems ludicrous that people still believe it's effective.

If I was forcibly drowned, I'd do whatever I could to get out of it, including lying.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If I was forcibly drowned, I'd do whatever I could to get out of it, including telling everything I knew.
Fixed. :cheese:

Terrorists: If there is potential to save innocent lives, it is justifiable. Terrorists aren't worthy of human rights, in first place.
Army combatants: They were being loyal to their nation. Just happened to be on the wrong side. As a general rule, they shouldn't be tortured.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Meh, torture just sounds silly from a practical POV, you never know if the tortured is telling the truth or not.

Gish

Which side are you on?
MBTI Type
PTSD

Terrorists: If there is potential to save innocent lives, it is justifiable. Terrorists aren't worthy of human rights, in first place.
Army combatants: They were being loyal to their nation. Just happened to be on the wrong side. As a general rule, they shouldn't be tortured.

Seriously? I hope you're just trolling.

G

Ginkgo

If your government committed acts of terrorism would you deny the people in question their human rights?

R

Riva

+1

If your government committed acts of terrorism would you deny the people in question their human rights?

This is also a good point

+1

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ

This seems to put more emphasis on torture as a punishment than as an information gathering tool. Does torturing terrorists save more innocent lives than torturing enemy soldiers? Also, at what point does one lose human rights? It seems like most people don't make a distinction between terrorist and insurgent. As far as the soldier thing goes, being a soldier doesn't give you a morality exemption under the "just following orders" rule.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Seriously? I hope you're just trolling.
Actually not. :burns:
This question is so good that I don't know how to answer. :mad:

I didn't say ''my justice'' is perfect, but imho is still fair.

Beargryllz

MBTI Type
INTP
When the president does it, that means it's not illegal

We are not savages

We are bound by law

We have a responsibility to keep our country safe and prosperous

Water is the gift of life we should bestow upon all, even our enemies

I am America

R

Riva

When the president does it, that means it's not illegal

We are not savages

We are bound by law

We have a responsibility to keep our country safe and prosperous

Water is the gift of life we should bestow upon all, even our enemies

I am America

Love your 1 liner posts.
They hit the spot (make valid inquiries or points) and never a spam.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This seems to put more emphasis on torture as a punishment than as an information gathering tool.
Work both ways. But there still has to be objectivity.
Does torturing terrorists save more innocent lives than torturing enemy soldiers?
Not necessarily. The important factor is the motivation. Soldiers are protecting their nation. Terrorists want a place in heaven with 72 virgins or something and are willing to kill as many as they can to achieve this goal. I'm generalizing here, but their motivation is almost always both selfish and lunatic.
Also, at what point does one lose human rights?
The exact moment they lose regard for human life.

(to everybody) Btw I also wanna know your solutions. :whistling:

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
When they stop considering the rights of others (negligible or invaluable or even punishable buy cutting their throats off).

So when someone else stops recognizing human rights it becomes ok to do likewise to them? It's ok, though, because they did it first?

Soldiers are protecting their nation.

This is overly idealistic, I think.

Terrorists want a place in heaven with 72 virgins or something and are willing to kill as many as they can to achieve this goal. I'm generalizing here, but their motivation is almost always both selfish and lunatic.

The states' motivation, while normally not lunatic, is virtually always selfish and they're willing to kill to achieve the goal.