User Tag List

First 56789 Last

Thread: Waterboarding

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    No, they're actually not.
    Is a terrorist not a criminal?

Is a terrorist an enemy combatant (soldier) or a criminal?

Is a terrorist both?

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    Is a terrorist not a criminal?
    The point is that a criminal is not, by definition, a terrorist.

Figure out the distinction between trying to prevent an act of war and trying to resolve a crime.

As much difficulty as you seem to be having with the idea, it's really not that tough to figure out.

MBTI
    INTP

The point is that a criminal is not, by definition, a terrorist.

Figure out the distinction between trying to prevent an act of war and trying to resolve a crime.

As much difficulty as you seem to be having with the idea, it's really not that tough to figure out.
    Aren't resolving crimes and preventing acts of war both just actions?

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Aren't resolving crimes and preventing acts of war both just actions?
    If you lack the intellectual capacity to make a distinction between various kinds of actions, then yes.

MBTI
    INTP

If you lack the intellectual capacity to make a distinction between various kinds of actions, then yes.
    What would a person of excellent intellectual capacity determine the distinction to be?

On one hand, we have a person preventing an act of war (by implication, preventing harm to befoul the victims of this act)

On the other, we have a person resolving a crime (by implication, preventing the perpetrator from continuing to harm others)

Who is just in depriving the human rights of the criminal/warrior?

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

What would a person of excellent intellectual capacity determine the distinction to be?
    An act of war takes place in the context of war; a crime does not.

As I said: simple.

If you're going to (continue to) make retarded arguments, I have no more to say to you here.

A window to the soul

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    We also could belt spank the shit out of them.
    Yes. Let's spank them with their own belt.

MBTI
    INTP

An act of war takes place in the context of war; a crime does not.

As I said: simple.

If you're going to (continue to) make retarded arguments, I have no more to say to you here.
    This kind of ultimatum is unnecessary. I understand that you are a highly proficient debater and I cannot see why you would deprive the world of your talents, beliefs, and ideas on behalf of little, old me.

Do humans at war have rights?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    Even if we assume parameter 1 (arguable by any stretch of the imagination, since we don't live in a simplistic eye-for-an-eye world), parameter 2 does not logically follow, because torture is not the same thing as killing. If it were, there wouldn't be animal cruelty laws, since animals can legally be killed humanely (either for food, because they're hurt, or because they're unwanted, or really just because). You'll have to do better than that.
    You are interpreting too narrowly. The fact we don't allow torture to some animals means we atribute value to their lives and general well-being.
    Well, how are we defining terrorist? Does someone have to kill innocent people before they're considered a terrorist? Just one person or many? Do they have to torture others before being considered a terrorist? How badly? What if they were brainwashed as a child, a la child soldier horror? What if they were ordered to kill others under threat that their family would be killed? What if the government thinks they're a terrorist, but the guy in charge of torturing disagrees? What about the opposite scenario? What if they're kinda sorta a terrorist, but not really a bad one, and besides you kinda understand their motivations, they're just misguided, and...?
    I don't have answers to all these questions. This is the kind of thread where the fact you don't state an opinion gives you a great edge. Ti-doms and Enneagrams 5 tend to have this vice I'm trying to avoid. Dissecting ideas and finding flaws is quite easy when dealing with sensitive matters. I'm offering a solution. It's better than ignoring there's a problem that requires one. There are gonna be innocents suffering and dying no matter what, but there are viable ways to make the number as acceptable as possible.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    You are interpreting too narrowly. The fact we don't allow torture to some animals means we atribute value to their lives and general well-being.

I don't have answers to all these questions. This is the kind of thread where the fact you don't state an opinion gives you a great edge. Ti-doms and Enneagrams 5 tend to have this vice I'm trying to avoid. Dissecting ideas and finding flaws is quite easy when dealing with sensitive matters. I'm offering a solution. It's better than ignoring there's a problem that requires one. There are gonna be innocents suffering and dying no matter what, but there are viable ways to make the number as acceptable as possible.
    Um, why should anyone blindly accept a "solution" that you're not even prepared to defend with logic? I have NEVER met an INTP who thought dissecting ideas was a vice...

You're the one proposing a "solution", so your solution is the one under discussion at the moment. Besides, it should be obvious what my opinion is.
    -end of thread-